Non-evidence reasons why people embrace Evolution.

by hooberus 282 Replies latest jw friends

• Gerard
    Gerard

I did not say there is no philogeny done at all in hominids, my dear AGuest. I said the research is just starting and not much has been done yet. There is no conclusion yet from the experts, so feel free to hold back your final conclusion before they postulate theirs.

Moving on; when a scientist writes "most likely" is because there is hard proof - the equivalent for a lawyer saying "beyond any reasonable doubt". "The most likely scenario" in science is infinitely most accurate (eg: real) than any "most likey scenario" a creationists may present, because science uses testable physical facts, not make believe stories (this is the part where creationists wave their Bible as it was a self-evident unifying treatise of quantum mechanics with relativity).

What you stubornly refuse to notice (or acknowledge) is that the difference between scientific evidence and religious "evidence" is that science is based on physical facts which anybody can test and duplicate; while your Bible (the product of creative goat herders) are fables, parables, allegories and myths, which you -as a follower of the faith- have to accept without testing or reasoning just because a goat-herder said so. Did they mention real towns and cities in the Bible? Big deal! It does not mean all of its content is real. Is the Earth the center of the Solar system? (please say no). Written myths do not mean that dead people actually rise from their graves on command, or that talking bushes exist. Chosing to believe it is not the same as finding out if it does happen.

The day we agree on the same meaning of the word "FACT" then we will have a fruitful conversation, because you keep confusing theory with stories, knowledge with belief, fact with faith and physical proofs with 'the Bible said so'.

To finish, I reiterate to you that there is not a single scientific peer-reviewed research paper ever published by creationists, and you dismiss this so casualy as if the inmensity of its implication was not even relevant to your argument. If you are ignorant of this fact, it does not void it, for the same reason you cannot break the law just because you are ignorant of it.

Ask yourself: why there is no scientific peer-reviewed research papers on creationism? ..... (if your consciense or gods allow allow you to THINK challenging ideas).

Want me to prove their inexistence? Better you prove us their existence and Google a couple of peer-reviewed scientific papers on creationism and put me in my place. The facts on this and a multitude of scientific concepts have been offered to you, and you keep dismissing them not with additional counteracting FACTS, but with your arbitrary preference for religious myths and faith/emotion.

I understand that "god did it" is a very warm and fussy idea, but you will not grow in wisdom when you resort to it whenever you don't like the [physical] evidence presented. If you don't like the answers, don't do the questions. If the answers brought by science are not good enough for you, it is OK, really, as it is good enough for human civilization.

PS: No word back on your research on the origin of mitochondria and common descent? Naaah... it's not on the Bible so it is most likely satanic hocus-pocus.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I did not say there is no philogeny done at all in hominids, my dear AGuest. I said the research is just starting and not much has been done yet. There is no conclusion yet from the experts, so feel free to hold back your final conclusion before they postulate theirs.

I understand, dear Gerard (peace to you!). I'm thinking that just based on the 2006 Neanderthalensis Genome Project SOME philogeny has been done and I am not limited to that. I do think it's interesting, however, that what was discerned by that study has been... well, dismissed, here.

Moving on; when a scientist writes "most likely" is because there is hard proof - the equivalent for a lawyer saying "beyond any reasonable doubt". "The most likely scenario" in science is infinitely most accurate (eg: real) than any "most likey scenario" a creationists may present, because science uses testable physical facts, not make believe stories (this is the part where creationists wave their Bible as it was a self-evident unifying treatise of quantum mechanics with relativity).

I disagree, at least with the latter part of your statement. Science DOES use testable phyiscal facts, yes. But unless those have been done against the subject at hand, it's still speculation. Still... "most likely" versus "true." For example, until the NGP, it was "most likely" that neanderthalensis was an entirely different species. Based on... what? But that was the "likelihood." Now, due to the NGP, it's not necessarily so likely; indeed, it's most likely to be UNlikely.

What you stubornly refuse to notice (or acknowledge) is that the difference between scientific evidence and religious "evidence" is that science is based on physical facts which anybody can test and duplicate; while your Bible (the product of creative goat herders) are fables, parables, allegories and myths, which you -as a follower of the faith- have to accept without testing or reasoning just because a goat-herder said so. Did they mention real towns and cities in the Bible? Big deal! It does not mean all of its content is real. Is the Earth the center of the Solar system? (please say no). Written myths do not mean that dead people actually rise from their graves on command, or that talking bushes exist. Chosing to believe it is not the same as finding out if it does happen.

Ummmm... you must have entirely misread what I posted... and so misunderstand my position. I am not going to reclarify, but only ask you to take a moment and read what I posted, if you would be so kind to. In case you don't, please note that I have no Bible... I do not accept all that is in the Bible, nor do I HAVE to accept ANY of it... and my position as to those who say such things are "evidence" is the same as yours. How did you miss all of that? I know how: because you already thought you "knew" me before you replied, so you didn't bother to really read what I wrote, but just skimmed. No surprise, there.

The day we agree on the same meaning of the word "FACT" then we will have a fruitful conversation, because you keep confusing theory with stories, knowledge with belief, fact with faith and physical proofs with 'the Bible said so'.

Ummmm... you're gonna be really embarassed when you realize that (1) I stated no such thing, because (2) I believe no such thing.

To finish, I reiterate to you that there is not a single scientific peer-reviewed research paper ever published by creationists, and you dismiss this so casualy as if the inmensity of its implication was not even relevant to your argument.

I did not dismiss this, casually or otherwise. I have no idea if that is true or not. Could be. Could be someone else would disagree with you. It had absolutely nothing to do with my questions, however, nor does it provide an answer.

If you are ignorant of this fact, it does not void it, for the same reason you cannot break the law just because you are ignorant of it.

Well, no, it does not. But I never made such a statement or even alluded to it.

Ask yourself: why there is no scientific peer-reviewed research papers on creationism? (if your consciense or gods allow allow you to THINK challenging ideas).

My mind does so allow, dear one; however, I think I would have to sure that your assertion is true... and if so to what extent does it affect my goal, here, which was to understand how something that could be (and probably was) peer-reviewed PROVES something that, as it stands, does not.

Want me to prove their inexistence?

Whose inexistence? Who/what are you speaking of? Oh, you mean God and Christ? Well, if you really feel you can...

Better you prove us their existence and Google a couple of peer-reviewed scientific papers on creationism and put me in my place.

Why? I don't care what place you're in, dear one. This thread wasn't about proving/disproving the existence of God and Christ (which I can prove to you, but you'd have to be willing to use the proper methods for obtaining such proof - and since God and Christ are spirits, the "usual" methods... i.e., those pertaining to proving things in the PHYSICAL world... won't suffice). It [orginally] was about non-evidence reasons by people embrace evolution. Which, IMHO, are as valid as the "evidence" reasons.

The facts on this and a multitude of scientific concepts have been offered to you, and you keep dismissing them not with additional counteracting FACTS, but with your arbitrary preference for religious myths and faith/emotion.

The facts on a multitude of scientific concepts have been offered, and I have accepted each one FOR WHAT THEY SHOW. The do NOT, however, show how evolution has occurred among hominids. They show how, IF such occurred, most likely it would have occurred. But it does NOT show that it DID... or DOES... occur. Even so, the experiment I offered, the NGP... showed how perhaps it DIDN'T occur, at all.

But your response is, to me, NO different than Bible-thumping religionists... particularly the WTBTS... who, when what they THOUGHT was absolutely TRUE is shown to either be UNTRUE, or "most likely" to be untrue... go all Rambo on you. "You just can't SEE it, you stupid lady." Where, pray tell, is the difference between your "argument" (that I'm just stupid and so keep "dismissing" the "facts"... when I've addressed ALL of the "facts" presented)... and theirs (that I'm just stupid and so keep dismissing the "facts"... when I address ALL of the "facts" THEY present)? I see absolutely NO difference... and so am not any more inclined to believe YOU... than I am to brlieve THEM.

I understand that "god did it" is a very warm and fussy idea, but you will not grow in wisdom when you resort to it when you don't like the [physical] evidence presented?

"God did it," is a trite, insufficient response. HOW He did it... which I've shared... actually COMPORTS... with the "facts", dear Gerard.

If you don't like the answers, don't do the questions.

I would exhort you to take your own advice, in addition to (1) "if you don't know the answers, don't presume to take on the questions; and (2) if you don't like the questions, consider skipping the thread."

If the answers brought by science are not good enough for you, it is OK, really, as it is good enough for human civilization.

The answers were quite good for me, dear one, so far as what they actually show... and not what some speculate/presume/assume/teach/push/insist they show... when they do not.

I hope this clarifies what you obviously are QUITE unclear about.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• cofty
    cofty
    my goal, here, which was to understand how something that could be (and probably was) peer-reviewed PROVES something that, as it stands, does not.

Yes it was peer reviewed, it was so ground breaking it earned Lenski admission to the National Academy of Science. The experiment started in 1988 and is still ongoing. The oldest populations of E coli are now in their 52 000th generation. It is an amazing experiment and will continue to yield new discoveries.

It was clearly explained above that nobody ever claimed it proved human evolution, it never will.

• AGuest
    AGuest

It was clearly explained above that nobody ever claimed it proved human evolution

Somehow, I missed that, dear Cofty (peace to you!). Probably because of YOUR comments, in response to my questions, that:

Lenski's research shows, in microcosm and in the lab, massively speeded up so that it happened before our very eyes, many of the essential components of evolution by natural selection: random mutation followed by non-random natural selection; adaptation to the same environment by separate routes independently; the way successive mutations build on their predecessors to produce evolutionary change; the way some genes rely, for their effects, on the presence of other genes. Yet it all happened in a tiny fraction of the time evolution normally takes.

This suggests to ME (and probably some others) that you believe it does... to some degree.

it never will.

And that is my point: how is it that something (i.e., an e.coli adaptation experiment) that some of you (particularly you, because you're the one who brought the experiment up) BELIEVE proves something (human evolution)... but does not (which you now admit)... should be accepted by me as proof of that something (human evolution)... particularly now... when you say it will NEVER prove that something?

I'm telling you, dear Cofty... it sounds VERY Wt-ish. I know you can "see" how they (and those who believe in the manner they do) sound unreasonable. That is because you are outside looking in. That is the same for me with regard to them AND evolution (of the human species). From the outside looking IN... you all argue in the same manner, using the same "tool" - speculation.

Regardless, it was not my intent not to learn. It was, however, your position... from the start... that I wouldn't "accept" YOUR belief, regardless of what you stated. That's not true. You did not show me how the experiment YOU proffered SHOWED human evolution. So, I was not "convinced." Why should I have been? The "proof" that you proffered isn't really proof.

And it is the exact same thing with you and those who believe in creation based on the Bible. They can't show YOU... and so YOU are not convinced. Which is reasonable and rational.

There really isn't much difference between me and you, dear Cofty, except that I am not allowing myself to be hypocritical in my beliefs. True, my evidence isn't physical but the assumption that all evidence IS physical is a huge error... and very limiting. Scientists would "discover" SO much more... if they would allow themselves to know THAT particular truth. And you who put your faith in science... would know so much more, as well.

I am not asking you or anyone to believe what I believe; I am not asking YOU to believe ANYTHING. YOU... are asking ME. And so, I asked for YOUR proof. As you imply, it doesn't exist.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ, who is NOT religious... and does not have her faith in the Bible... but in the "common ancestor" of all life in the physical world,

SA

P.S. My days of putting my faith in man... and what HE believes and says is true... without TRUE proof... are over. Been there... done that.

• Gerard
    Gerard

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religions at all.

Nevermind discussing with people who have 2-way conversations with imaginary gods.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    If you could reason with religious people there would be no religions at all.

Agreed, dear Gerard (again, peace to you!)... and I assume you're not including me in this statement as I am not religious... at all. I truly believe you would know that if you really took a minute to read what I write (or, if you haven't a minute, what others have clarified), rather than jumping from A... to Z... or other statements meaning to mislead, such as:

Nevermind discussing with people who have 2-way conversations with imaginary gods.

I did not dismiss anyone's attempt to "reason" with me, dear one. I read and deduced from the information offered as proof of something that it doesn't provide such prove. In that light, I dismissed it, as it relates to my questions. Wouldn't you? Bottom line is that the points offered as "reasonable proof" didn't prove what they were purported to. Which, to me, is no different than what religion "attempts" to do. Funny that with all of the rationale, reasonableness, and intellect being thrown around... certain folks don't seem to see that. Or want to see it. But it's conjecture (i.e., inconclusive or incomplete evidence). And I would not ask... or expect... you to lose your "religion" (for now, evolution) based on conjecture. Why do you expect it of me?

[You] want me to show [you] evidence that God exists. I openly and readily admit that I cannot do that. I can, however, and do tell you truthfully that there IS One who can... and WILL... if that's what [you] truly wish. But I will also truthfully tell [you] that [you] have to go to HIM. Which [you]CAN do (because if I can do it, ANYONE can do it). I will also caution [you]... truthfully... not to expect such evidence to be physical... because not everything in existence IS physical. [You], however, are apparently totally unwilling to even consider that such a thing may be true.

On the other hand, I asked [you] to explain to ME how the physical "evidence" proves that man evolved from another species... indeed, that all life evolved from a common ancestor (vs. being created by means of such)... which [you] admit the evidence does NOT show. "Most likely" because... it doesn't. Which I knew before I asked. But I was at least willing to CONSIDER that what [you] believe might be true. You know: show ME the money. If nothing else, wasn't afraid to ask.

I wasn't afraid because I know I have nothing to fear, dear one. Because my position is if I am right, then may JAH be praised... and if I am not then I only stand to be even more "enlightened" than I was previously. THAT is true freedom... which I received from the Christ: the freedom from FEAR. I am not the one who is afraid to find out that I am wrong. That fear no longer lies within me. It was conquered... by my love... for God and Christ.

So, I read the information [you] included here. Didn't read the books, of course - don't have them - but did open and read the information in each link. And read every comment/response. Even the cut and pastes. And I also read and entertained the information resulting from studies, projects, experiments, and examples given. [You], however, will not entertain anything OTHER than such. Which of us, then, is more like the JW at the door... who wants the householder to read HIS literature but refuses to even consider what the householder has to say/ask (or only refers them back to another WT magazine)?

You see, the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... and His Son and Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... does not forbid those who serve them from reading anything, dear one, including things that raise questions. They don't even forbid reading material that outright opposes them. THAT is religion's prohibition... as far back as forbidding reading of the Bible... down til today as to reading anything other than WTBTS publications. Because THEY are the one's who are afraid (that one might read/come to know something and turn away from THEM).

But there is no such bondage in Christ... and so, no thing as "apostate literature" for the Body of Christ... because we are truly free. We are like Adam... who had the FREEDOM... to CHOOSE. And contrary to popular belief... and false religious teachings... nothing was held back from him. He had FULL disclosure. Thus, he was NOT deceived. He was free to know... and know fully... and, based on that knowledge, to choose. And he did choose. True, he was warned as to where such knowledge might lead him. But he was never forbidden to partake of it. He was not threatened with death - he was warned about it.

I didn't go through some huge "withdrawal" when I realized that the WTBTS wasn't what it claimed to be, dear one... any more than I go through any negative feelings when subjects like this arise. I personally heaved a HUGE sigh of relief when I realized they weren't! Because if they WERE the "truth"... then I knew that at some point I was going to be in opposition with the truth! If they DID represent the True God, then at some point I was going to HAVE to turn my back on Him. No way to stop it; it was a freight train coming. Because there is NO way I could give my entire life to serving a God who required the things they (the WTBTS/religion/the OT) said He did... and treated people the way they said He did and demanded of me. Praise JAH... they are NOT the truth and neither JAH nor Christ demand the things they have been accused of from me. My Lord himself bore witness to that truth. So, MY thought was... praise God and HALLELUJAH!

[Most of] you believe that because you have "done" the WTBTS... and/or religion... you have "done" God. And/or Christ. That seems to be greatly prevalent among the born-ins, way more so than those who came in later. But nothing could be further from the truth. Because you can't do God through the WTBTS... indeed, through religion... and neither have anything to do with the WTBTS... OR religion. You can only do God... through Christ.

But believe what you will and don't what you don't - you are entirely free to choose. However, do not think that you calling me all but stupid (in so many words) will cause me to fall on my face and "repent" of my "ignorance." It won't. Rather, it just raises the same flags as when those in religion do the same. Especially when the "evidence" doesn't prove what it's purported to. I truly cannot "see" the difference.

Again, I wish you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cofty
    cofty
    I am not asking you or anyone to believe what I believe; I am not asking YOU to believe ANYTHING. YOU... are asking ME. And so, I asked for YOUR proof. As you imply, it doesn't exist.

That takes the prize for intellectual dishonesty.

You have misquoted me so many times in the above post I have neither the time nor inclination to go on with this. This thread is an outstanding example of the contrast between reason and dogma.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Cofty- spot on as usual.

AGuest - I think you've made it clear that you are bringing to the table subjective evidence in a discussion where objective evidence is required.

I am fascinated by your suggestion that there are steps anyone can take to get the same results as you ( so you suggest you have some repeatable tests!) but that people will need to accept immaterial evidences as the end result. I will happily listen to your methodology, controls, analysis of results and your definition of what those results are. I'll even give them a try ( assuming there isn't some get out clause requiring an excessive timescale or I need to change gender or take herbal supplements.)

I am glad you don't use the bible as your authority. I'm puzzled as to where you now get info on Christ unless you claim to be a prophet. I'm aware you don't claim any brand of Christianity except the one you've agreed inside your head. That's all well and good. You cannot evade objections to religious viewpoints by claiming to be religious - just not religious like 'them'.

If you are convinced by subjective evidence over and above objective evidence then you should evaluate why you discuss reality as though you had something of objective value to add. Since you hold an unfair advantage in this discussion where we have to be rational you clearly don't have to be;you cannot be verified whereas all the evidence presented to you you can happily dismiss if it in any way disagrees with your internal head evidence. You can doubt anything you want but your beliefs are utterly uncheckable. Ergo you bring nothing to the table and everything you have said could have been typed by a noodle appendage (bless his tomatoeyness) believer. It would look and read no different.

• TD
    TD

Shelby,

You've mentioned "evolution from a common ancestor" and "being created by means of such" in contrast to each other. Would there be an observable difference in the physical evidence between the former and the latter?

If the evidence would appear the same either way, then I doubt if there's really a disagreement. Evolution for me is certainly not a vehicle to deny the existence of God

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Evolution tells us, and this has been proven, that species evolve.

The issue is, for many I think, did MAN evolve and if he did, from what did he evolve?

The "common ancestor" theory is great and all that, but it doesn't really answer the question because the question is If amn evolved, what did he evolve from?

There is much speculation, yes, but there is no proof from WHAT man did evolve.

Again, it's not a question of did man evolve, but from WHAT did man evolve.

At least I think that is the issue, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit