Have you ever seen/felt/known God's power in YOUR life?

by XPeterX 42 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have known Gods power at least 3 times in my life, dealing with big life changing issues.

And just about every day in everyday issues.

I cant be 100% sure no one can.

But I will say if there is no God, then thinking and acting like there is a God can have

a very positive affect on ones life.

I have never sacraficed everything for God.

I have never given him everything I have had.

Still, God has blessed me.

If you have sacraficed everything to God and given him everything you have, that could be

your problem.

You dont know God. God doesnt want your sacrafice, he doesnt want your things he wants you to have faith in him.

Man benefits and is blessed by believing in God. I dont know if God gets anything out of it. Or I dont know how to describe

what he gets out of it.

Especially if there is no God, God cant get anything out of it.

But people do get blessed because they have faith. I have been blessed. I know lots of people who tell me they are blessed.

That makes me think there is a God.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was 9, before I heard about the Witnesses, I had been physically and emotionally abused by both my parents since birth and I was now being abused sexually by my father who I was living with. Every Sunday I would get dressed up and go to church by myself. I prayed for help; for a stop to the abuse. it didn't come.

Then I went to live with my mother when I was almost 12 and was introduced to the Witnesses. After almost a year of meetings and praying and going on service and doing all the things I was supposed to do I was still praying for the abuse to stop but now it was my 3 uncles and my step-father. God didn't listen to me then either. An elder was called in when the abuse was discovered. God didn't help me then either. He and my mother decided I should be sent to foster care while they hid the abuse.

I spent 3 years in foster care where I was emotionally and physically abused. I was told almost daily that I was a dirty little girl because I let men do bad things to me. I prayed. I tried to stay faithful to the God of the Witnesses. God still didn't listen.

When I was 16 I was sent back to live with my mother, who reminded me how I ruined her relationship and how bad I was. I got my last beating from her when I was 17. I didn't think I was such a bad kid but she made sure to tell me on a regular basis. I did my best to be a good Witness. Then my mother arranged for me to marry someone who was so new to the Witnesses that we had to wait a week after he was baptized to marry. He turned out to be emotionally and sexually abusive. I continued to pray. It still didn't help so I just started praying he would die or that I would.

When that didn't work I started making plans to die. I was 35 and had been praying for over 25 years. If God was helping me I didn't see how.

Then I left the Witnesses and stopped praying. It seemed to me that the saying "God helps those who helps themselves" seemed to be far more accurate and worthwhile than sitting back and waiting for God to do something to help me.

Now some may say that God allowed me to go through all that so I could now help others. Personally I think that is pretty sick. I could help others without having gone through 35 years of abuse. As a parent I would never allow my children to be abused so they could help others when they grew up. The idea is just sick.

So no I don't think God has helped me. I haven't seen the power of God in my life.

What I have seen in my life and in the lives of many other abuse survivors is the incredible strength people have to overcome abuse. People have the power to overcome almost anything if given the opportunity and support they need.

• tec
    tec
    If you have sacraficed everything to God and given him everything you have, that could be
    your problem.
    You dont know God. God doesnt want your sacrafice, he doesnt want your things he wants you to have faith in him.

Jaguar, I really like what you said here. It resonated with me.

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

When my family shunned me, I felt the power of God. They believed it was His will.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The idea that god helps those who help themselves is a cop out. All that happened is the person did it themself. If that were true, then the most successful, the most powerful, the richest, the top dogs are all put there by god. Think about that.

S

• tec
    tec

We're supposed to help one another.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Jaguarbass beautifully stated my sentiments on the matter. And yes, there have been many times I have felt a presence of love guiding me. It has never lied to me or led me in the wrong direction.

• LV101
    LV101

Lady Lee: YOU ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!!! you make me feel like a real mamby pamby for ever having pity parties or feeling sorry for myself about my family of origin. HOPE YOU HAVE A BOOK COMING OUT HOW TO SURVIVE ABUSE for folks --- i'd race to buy it. do you have any INFO available? i'm so happy for you. hope you can go after that stupid w/tower for attributing to your pain.

LV101

• AGuest
    AGuest
    You spent months,years or even decades as a Christian.

Depends on what you mean by "Christian", dear XPX (peace to you!). I have lived as both.

You sacrificed everything for God, gave Him everything you had,

Well, can't say that. Sacrificed what I wanted to, gave Him what I wanted to. Usually, out of my "surplus" versus my "all." So, can't really call it a sacrifice. But, praise JAH, He never wanted my sacrifices - He wanted my mercy [toward others]. And THAT... I always gave. Even when I didn't know Him.

you would speak every day for Him to others

Nope. My life didn't always allow for that. At one point I was a wife and mother of two who worked full time. And there were times when I was young... and very dumb. So, there were times when days, weeks, even months went by without me thinking of God. And years when I didn't mention Him to others (because I learned that not everyone can/wants to "go there").

and would live as a person dedicated to God.

Oh-ho, if you only knew. No, again. Again, my life didn't allow for that.

What did you receive in return after all your efforts?

For what little efforts I did make... loving kindness, which kindness is truly undeserved... and so, mercy. Which is basically what He promised, right?

Did He help you when you were in need?

Yes. Which is why I knew I had to get to know Him... personally. I mean, many times... after receiving such help (and my "story" is probably just as gut-wrenching as the next person's)... I would ask myself, why would He do that for ME? I mean, I was WORDLY, in almost every sense of the word. I never EXPECTED Him to do a thing for me; no one ever told me He HAD to. I was just grateful when He did.

If yes, are you 100% sure that He was the one who helped you?

I wasn't, then. I am, now, yes.

Could you feel his Holy Spirit in your life?

Yes, but (1) I didn't feel him as much as heard him, and (2) I didn't know that it was the Holy Spirit. I could hear "someone" (who I now know to be my Lord) speaking to me from the time I was about 3. Saved my life a couple times as a child. I didn't know WHO it was that was speaking to me... and I never thought to ask. Two examples, including the first that I can recall, and another, which was most significant:

1. When I was 3 years old I was playing with some little girls (they were about 4 - I remember I wanted to play with them because they were "older") in the alley behind one of their homes in Philadelphia. One of our "toys" was a large glass OJ bottle. I heard a voice say to me that one of the little girls was going to hurt me and so I should go home (back then, even a small child could wander a block or two from home and I often did. I know I was three because I was 4 when we moved to California). I didn't want to go home, however, and so I ignored the voice. The voice very softly and kindly told me again to take my leave, that if I didn't I would be hurt. And I ignored it again - I was having fun playing with my friends, it was a bright warm sunny day and I saw no harm coming so could see no reason to go home. Well, while we were playing, one of the little girls tried to hand me the OJ bottle... and I miss judged my grasp and so dropped it (actually, it was too large for my hand, so I would have dropped it, anyway). Of course, it broke. I remember the girl got SO mad at me! (I remember because it was the first time I recall a playmate yelling... at me or otherwise - I was totally surprised!). So, I started to clean up the glass. But she just kept yelling at me (because I had ruined our "toy"). As I went to pick up the neck of the bottle I heard the voice say "She is going to hurt you, child..." and just then that girl grabbed the bottle neck from me... slicing my hand from my wrist to just below my middle finger. Pretty deep, so blood everywhere. Well, as you can guess, I took my little butt home then.

2. When I was six, I was returning home from picking blackberries with my sister, brother, and cousin (ages 9, 4, and 9). We lived in Bremerton, WA (my dad was in the Navy and was stationed there; however, at the time I speaking of he was "oversees" in Japan... or so I thought). As we were walking up the street, a car stopped and two young black men got out and told us that my father had sent them to pick us up. At first, my sister and cousin were hesitant (because, again, my father was supposedly overseas). But the men convinced my sister and cousin that my father had come home and sent them. So, they got into the backseat of the car and my little brother followed them. But for some reason I couldn't move. "Something" wouldn't let me get in the car. And then I heard a voice say, "Do NOT get in that car, child. You father has NOT sent these men." I hesitated, but still couldn't move. At all. And so I began to cry and I heard the voice again, telling me to tell my siblings and cousin to get OUT of that car! So, I sobbed and told them that I was going to "tell" on them... that they had gotten into the car... if they didn't get out! They got out and the men took off. We ran all the way home, NOT because we were afraid of the men but because they had said my dad was home. Of course, he was not. He was still in Japan. No one had sent those men to get us. My mother was hysterical and called the police, but they said that unless we could ID the men/their car (which we couldn't - I didn't think/hear to get the license plate no.)... there was nothing they could do.

And those are just two of probably 20-25 incidents like this... where I heard a voice distinctly tell me, well, where to step. It was not "instinct"... because it was a voice. I NOW know that voice... and its Owner, my Lord, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH (which is how I know his name - he has said it TO me), who is the Son and Christ (as he has identified himself to me) of the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies (who he also made known to me).

I am not the only one that such things have happened to; I am, however, one of the few who attribute such to its true Source... rather than taking the glory for myself. It was not... and is not... me. Not by a long shot.

P.S:This topic has nothing to do with the Org. I am talking exclusively about God and your relationship with Him

Yep, got that.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ, God's Word... who is ALIVE... and speaks...

SA

• whereami
    whereami

Ask that to the families of the 40,000 CHILDREN that die EVERYDAY because they didn't have what you and you children apparently have (food) because your god is answering your prayers and not theirs.

Lady Lee, there are no words for what you've gone through. The fact that you are who you are today is a beautiful thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit