What Was Your Attitude When A Householder Slammed The Door In Your Face?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you get angry? Feel pity? Not care?

Whenever that would happen to me, I'd self-righteously feel, too bad, it's their loss. (That's when I was a young dumb believer). As the years went by, and I got an irate householder, I would say to myself---I don't blame him!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Did FS for 20+ years, never had a door slammed in my face.

People down here are too polite to do that.

Syl

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

"kicked the dust off of my shoes" and headed down the road...

• undercover
    undercover

I rarely had the door slammed on me. I can't even think of a single instance where one stands out in my mind.

I experienced more "wouldn't-come-to-the-door" types than anything. And that was funny to me. I could hear you in there. I can see the blinds move. And nobody would answer the door. At the height of my stupidity in believing it, I thought they truly were afraid of us, they couldn't handle the "truth" In actuality, they were just lazy. It was easier to ignore the door than to say "I'm not interested". And in some ways they were afraid. Not afraid of our message, just afraid to stand up and say "leave".

And I still can't figure out why they can't just man up and say "I'm not interested. Please leave." It's your property... stand up and stick up for your rights and beliefs.

One time I was standing at a door when a car drove by very slowly. I thought at first it was turning in the driveway but it didn't. No one came to the door so I moved on. When I got to the next house or so, the car returned and pulled in the driveway. It pulled in the carport and the people went inside with their groceries. Wow... strangers at your door and you pass your own house? You're afraid to see what's going on? JWs, Mormons or college magazine sellers or someone casing the house, it don't matter. I'd be quick to pull in and confront these strangers on my property. If they're selling a religion or a service I don't want, I'd ask them to leave.

• carla
    carla

I understand passing your own house, not answering the door, telling them off, etc..... when you ask them repeatedly to not come back, you write NY and tell them to put you on a 'do not call' list you may be afraid of what you will do TO them not afraid of their message or them personally. They simply do not understand they do not have the right to come to my door unannounced, it is rude.

I know many people who have tried being polite and saying not interested but jw's don't give a crap, they care more about getting their time in. People just don't feel like dealing with the nutjobs and why should they? it is THEIR property they get to make the rules not the jw's who get annoyed because they hear people inside.

The best story I heard locally was a guy was having a little quality time with his wife Sat morn and the jw's come an interrupt, they did not answer hoping they would go away. Could the jw's respect their privacy? no, they peeked in windows and kept knocking. So the guy answers the door buck naked and what does the jw have to say? tells the guy to put some clothes on! He answers, "why should I? it is my house and you are the one annoying me after knocking and knocking interrupting my love making." They had a few words but needless to say that guy was in no mood to listen to the jw's gloom and doom message.

don't jw's know the saying 'ignore them, maybe they will go away' ?

Personally I wish there were no knock laws everywhere. The jw's who look in windows should be charged as a peeping toms.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I felt haugtily good.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban1373l.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

"I felt haughtily good"....so well said!

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

As a Pioneer I was moved with Pity....

Later I wanted to ring the bell again and shake their hands and say.....

Good Call!!!!

• anewme
    anewme

When I was younger I felt sorry for them for rejecting what I thought was the truth.

Later when I was older I felt ashamed for going door to door and selling my precious faith in that fashion.

It didnt feel right to peddle my personal beliefs like that. I wanted to stop going door to door so much that I dont ever wish to associate again because of that requirement. I love to sell and I love people but it was like trying to sell my husband and children or sex door to door to strangers. It made me feel sick and strange and innappropriate and ashamed. I had dreams for years of going in field service naked and when the people came to the doors I was speechless as to why I was there! It was always night in my dreams and I had no pants on to cover me and I would sneak around the houses and see lights on and realize I had no Bible but only some crumpled old pamphlets on death or hell. I would peek in the windows and see the families having dinner or watching tv and I really did not want to knock on the door. Sometimes I did though out of obedience and just could not explain satisfactorily why I was peddling crumpled papers on hell without any pants on. The householders thought I was crazy! I remember feeling so much shame.

I think my subconscious was rejecting this aspect of the JW requirements.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit