What was your first vehicle? (pics!)

by sabastious 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

I see you've changed your avatar, sab.

This is not an actual picture of mine, but the same car. It was a red 1961 MG midget, bought used in 1969 and driven very little before giving up on and getting rid of it. It was not only my first car but the one I owned for the shortest period of time. It refused to start on cool, damp days (which, considering it's country of origin was remarkable), leaked rain profusely through the ragtop where it met the windscreen and side curtains (no roll up windows. They were plexiglass sliders), liked to jump out of first gear (which was not synchromesh), had a nasty penchant for attracting the attention of the police when driven by a long haired 17-year-old, even when he was driving under the limit, cost a fortune to insure and was completely unsuitable for dating since it had no back seat. It was a very pretty, totally impractical and unreliable piece of junk.

Edit: I recall paying $225 for it, getting the same amount back.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Designs - A '64 malibu SS

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Loved those 70's Chevelles TD, I had a friend who owned one with a 396ci and a Hurst factory 4-speed.

Blue too, thing was a power house.

My first car was a 74 Triumph Spitfire made by British Leyland, I bought when I was just 17.

What a fun car to own specially in the summer with the top down. .... the girls liked it too

Here's picture of one very similar

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I see you've changed your avatar, sab.

Yeah, I just felt cubie yesterday and I like whales too.

-Sab

• Gregor
    Gregor

Lion Cask - MG Midget. I proposed to my wife while setting in one of these (white w/black rag top) It belonged to her sister and we borrowed it for a drive. I agree, they were little better than a pair of roller skates!

• sabastious
    sabastious

Awesome first cars guys!

-Sab

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My first car was a 1984 Honda Hatchback - four speed, yep a stick! I learn how to drive a stick in that car.

My second car was a 1990 Geo Storm. It was a stick too, five speed and a lot of fun. I miss drving a stick.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

1980 Datsun 310 - 5 door hatchback.

Bought for $275 in running condition with a full year remaining on the inspection at a gas station on the Mass/NH border...Registered it in NH, where at the time liability insurance was not a requirement, for a mere $14 for the year....

Busted it badly in an accident in 1995....still miss it....

(Note: Not my actual car, but identical, albeit in maroon)

• sabastious
    sabastious
    My second car was a 1990 Geo Storm. It was a stick too, five speed and a lot of fun. I miss drving a stick.

Only time a stick is a pain in the ass, IMO, is when you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. They are so fun though, that I think it is a fair trade.

-Sab

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Mine was a VW Super Beatle. Loved that car until my parents took it away from me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit