Is Liberal Christianity Smug and Arrogant?

by leavingwt 95 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Michelle-

You have isolated one of the essential issues and claims of Jesus as the Only Way to eternal life. A good Father who wants all of his children to do well and have a prosperous life is straight forward in his instructions on morality and ethics and other life lessons. Joining a certain club or having certain slogans to repeat starts to sounds a little parochial. And, from the historical view of Jews contemporary with Jesus of Nazareth, they beleived that all of Adams children would be taken care of in the afterlife by a God who was considered a good Father. Jesus on the other hand tells Pharisees he personally will send them to Gehenna for all eternity....no wonder they thought he might be a little crackers

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Designs, not everyone sees it that way, but you are certainly entitiled to.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    He did, no one listened.

This is even more troubling, for a variety of reasons, IMHO.

• designs
    designs

PS-

Progressive Christians have had to address this historical Jesus with all of his teachings and 'soften' the message to make it palatable because, god bless the NT writers, they recorded the good bad and ugly about their Leader and his 'New' ideas.

• foodalls
    foodalls

A couple of questions I have for anyone here...Why are 10 books missing from the original bible??? Enoch wrote 3 books! and there is a book called "Maps and Keys"..plus there 2 or 3 Gospel accounts missing...anyone know anything about this here???

Why is 930,000 years of man's actual history missing???...the proof of this FACT is ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!

HOW DID ANCIENT MANKIND BUILD GIANT BUILDINGS WITH BLOCKS OF STONE WIEGHING BETWEEN 50 TO 4000 TONS UP THE SIDES OF MOUTAINS IN MOST CASES...AND HOW DID THEY CUT THESE STONE OUT WITH WHAT WE WERE TAUGHT WITH ANCIENT TOOLS THEY HAD...WITH "LASER" PRECISSION??? ANY TAKERS???

THEN, THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF ARTIFACTS DEPICTING THINGS MORE ADVANCED THAN WE ARE TODAY...WHAT ABOUT THESE??? THIS IS OPEN FOR ANYONE TO ANSWER.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear designs...

you said: "And, from the historical view of Jews contemporary with Jesus of Nazareth, they beleived that all of Adams children would be taken care of in the afterlife by a God who was considered a good Father."...

I just read that the sadducees were the elite of the temple at the time of Jesus...and I thought that they didn't believe in an afterlife.

do you think that adam was jewish?...how about noah?...the sacrifice of ATONEMENT was divised and carried out by God's chosen people, those special in God's eyes above everyone else...why do you figure that they might have needed an atonement sacrifice specifically for them if it was thought that all adam's children would be taken care of?...were they making atonement for every living human or for the sins of israel?...was the sacrifice made to placate God for the sins of israel in this "dimention" and the sins of gentiles of no consequence "beyond"?

love michelle

• tec
    tec

Michelle... I'm quite certain that PSac is speaking of his own personal revelation, by the Holy Spirit; and not necessarily by listening to his own reasoning power.

Leaving - I agree with Psac that the Holy Spirit was whispering, some people were listening... but to go public with that would have them branded a heretic IF it went against what the church said. So those people either died, or kept silent... or helped to pave a path for a personal relationship with Christ without an essential mediator between man and Christ.

There are a lot of people on this board who would have been executed or tortured for their 'heresy'. And those executions were NOT in tune with Christ or his teachings. So who were those people listening to?

Tammy

• designs
    designs

Michelle-

The Saducees upheld the Traditions of the Torah, they were in some ways like Existentialists who believe in the here and now and that this life is the thing to invest in. Usually in debates with the school of the Pharisees the Pharisees won in the sense that they were offering a more complete scope of Beliefs which included ideas about the Afterlife. In the scheme of ideas was the central thought that God was good and that all of the children of Adam would eventually be rehabilitated. There is story telling of Adam sitting at the gates of Gan Eden welcoming all of his children home.

To understand how in Judaism issues of why the Jews were singled out to have a certain code I would suggest studying what is known as The Two Views.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Every culture has formed its own gods to worship and look to for guidance. Little did those seeker of truth know, that their gods did not exist and answers they received came from within themselves.

Christianity is a remarkable concept because it spans so many cultures and has survived into our modern world. This is because it has always been prepared to adapt. Even to rewrite the rules if necessary. I am not an apologist for Christianity and have no belief in a personal God. Nevertheless, in keeping with topic thread I would like to repeat what I said on the 2nd post of this thread: "I don't see it as Smug or arrogant but a matter of expediency, if Christianity is to survive the demands of the 21st century."

I used to think that if the Bible is not inerrant, then the whole house of cards would fall. BTS debated with me some years ago and helped me to examine my view. PSacramento has also helped me to understand the nature of Christianity and its focus on belief in a living Christ. Tammy has also influenced me and demonstrated the positive aspects of Christian belief.

It's inevitable that in a changing world, Christianity constantly has to adjust, reinvent and redefine itself. It will ultimately reflect the needs of its followers and the demands of the society that it exists within. One of the benefits to Western civilization, is the counter balance it offers to the weight of growing Islamic influence. If we tear down Christian value, the space is likely to be filled with Islamic ideals, not atheism.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Isn't everyone smug and arrogant? I am reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse right now. Here's a section and tell me it doesn't sound familiar to your own soul:

(after a period of self-denial)...His glance became icy when he encountered women; his lips curled with contempt when he passed through a town of well-dressed people...

This is the problem with pursuing humility. All that happens is that a fresh cloak of pride is taken up. The fundamentalists cannot claim history. Theirs is a modern religion dependent on a "scientific" and literal reading of biblical texts. Pre-literate Christians (most historical Christians) didn't read the bible. They participated in ritual and lived miracles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit