Is Liberal Christianity Smug and Arrogant?

by leavingwt 95 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear PSacramento...

the chapter John 8 has Jesus talking to "the people" in the temple with the scribes and pharisees standing by. I dont doubt that He was correcting their wrong thinking/teaching, even so those who had the "law" were "convicted" by their conscience (john8:9)...not the HS.

do you think that (before "conversion") your conscience is synonymous with the Holy Spirit in some way...and if not then how can you "bypass" knowledge of the holiness and judgement of the Father and go straight to the knowledge of forgiveness in the Son?...you see somehow/somewhere you had to have a "reason" for your faith in Jesus as your saviour...the Holy Spirit comes to those who believe in the Son and He came to those who believed in God.

faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour doesn't happen in a vacuum and that is kinda what you are putting forth as your "reason" for faith...

love michelle

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    the chapter John 8 has Jesus talking to "the people" in the temple with the scribes and pharisees standing by. I dont doubt that He was correcting their wrong thinking/teaching on the matter. even so those who had the "law" were "convicted" by their conscience (john8:9)...not the HS.

Ok.

do you think that, before "conversion", your conscience is synonymous with the Holy Spirit in some way...and if not then how can you "bypass" knowledge of the holiness and judgement of the Father and go straight to the knowledge of forgiveness in the Son?...you see somehow/somewhere you had to have a "reason" for your faith in Jesus as your saviour...the Holy Spirit comes to those who believe in the Son and He came to those who believed in God.

I am not sure what you are asking, the HS comes to those that God sends it and to those that receive it, it is afterall, our Choice.

God is NOT a dictator.

Are you asking if I had knowledge of Christ BEFORE I found Christ?, if so the answer would be yes.

It wasn't the right knowledge but it was "knowledge".

faith doesn't happen in a vacuum and that is kinda what you are putting forth as your "reason" for faith..

Not sure what you mean, faith happens when it happens in the only way it can happen for each individual.

• designs
    designs

PS-

Hoops are the Pauline sayings and sayings by Jesus that you or the public can't get IT, the message of the NT, unless you accept their God and confess Jesus as the Saviour then the Holy Spirit will explain all. That's an Easter Egg Hunt or God dangling the carrot.

Rabbi Hillel said to Do Unto Others and you fulfill the essence of the Torah, pretty simple no, and that was way before Jesus time.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    because most of them would have done the exact same thing as the fundamentalists, had they been born five hundred or a thousand years ago

To the outsider, this is very interesting, because of the implications of the Holy Spirit as a 'helper'.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Designs,

The core of Jesus AND Paul's teachings is Love:

Love each other and by that all will knwo you to be my disciples (Jesus).

Without love I have nothing ( Paul).

Regardless of all the man-made doctrine that came after, the pillar of Christ and his followers was Love.

• designs
    designs

LWT-

It is interesting that the Fundamentalists here want to nail the past of the Watchtower Society to the present Organization but cringe and want to distance themselves from their own atrocities.

Great question on the Holy Spirit that they all have claimed as the guiding force for the past 2000 years. Remember the old joke about Saint Christopher riding in cars and protecting all until you went of 60.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

designs: My mind was wondering why the Helper didn't whisper in someone's ear thousands of years ago that (1) women are not property and they are equal to men and (2) slavery is always wrong.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    It is interesting that the Fundamentalists here want to nail the past of the Watchtower Society to the present Organization but cringe and want to distance themselves from their own atrocities.

There are enough atrocties to go around for everyone.

My mind was wondering why the Helper didn't whisper in someone's ear thousands of years ago that (1) women are not property and they are equal to men and (2) slavery is always wrong.

He did, no one listened.

• designs
    designs

PS-

The shortcoming was that you have to be a Believer in XYZ to get a blessing...or you end up in a really really bad place in the afterlife. Modern progressive Christians try to emphasize the former and deemphasize the later because its kind of sicko.

Remember the abusive parent who threatens- 'love me or else' and follows through with mental or physical abuse. In the case of Jesus by his own admission and the admission of his Apostels that's what he's going to do to humans who don't follow his brand of 'love'.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dea PSacramento...

you said: "Not sure what you mean, faith happens when it happens in the only way it can happen for each individual."...

I suppose so, but...what about using your mind to reason with God and believing in your heart what you have been convinced of?

part of this convincing has everything to do with believeing what the bible says...psalm 51:5-6...psalm 51:3-4

For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me.
    Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight—
    That You may be found just when You speak,
    And blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.
    Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
    And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

imo, liberal theology has taught the succeeding generations to be "good" but not to be "convicted" (hebrews 12:4)...isn't this dangerous when salvation depends on sincere belief? (romans 10:9).

love michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit