Did your wardrobe of clothes change when you left the JW'S

by Hairyhegoat 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Mine did and I have not put a suit on since escaping the cult. The mrs has given all but 1 away to the charity shops and I have loads more room in me wardrobe now. What items of clothing did you get rid of when you got out of the cult ? I might add after celerbrating xmas there's no way I could do the pants up now

HHG

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

Most of my dresses and suits are stored in a storage closet. I have worn some of them because they were suitable for interviews, so since I spent a fortune on my clothes, I can't bear to throw any away or give them to anyone else. If I can afford a new wardrobe, then I'll reconsider.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I still have all the same clothes. I still wear dress clothes and pants to work. I don't mind wearing a tie. It actually makes me feel more professional. Then again I work in an office.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Yeah suits aren't evil....I love wearing them from time to time. I pull that whole Tom Cruise look from Risky Business. The dark business jacket with jeans and white tennis shoes. I am dead sexay!

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

Ive spent the year playing around with different hairstyles, make-up (especially eyeliner) and wore clothes to fit my mood.

I dont think i've worn a single skirt & have lived in either leggings, jeggings or jeans. I had a single (very tiny) piercing to my nostril and after that I felt totally liberated... Now though I will probably spend the next 6 months toning things down, as a lot of the clothes I was wearing were dark. Now I want bright clothes that will express that Im happy & feeling on top of the world !

Has anyone else felt that their clothes were worn to fit in with their moods.... ?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am a NYer. Altho it was decades since being active, I noticed Bethelites on the subway one day. Somehow they stood apart. They were together but did not talk to each other. Somehow I knew in my gut. They did not dress quite like New Yorkers. The body language is what convinced me. I sat down next to a Bethel and announced "YOu're Bethelites. My father and uncle were Bethelites. My great-grandfather is Remnant and a former Bible Student. They were thrilled but expressed a certain retinence since I said no current affiliation. I was naughty. Finally, I said I read my Bible as a cohesive package without jumping around and was certain beyond a doubt that the WTBTS was dangerous.

There was no room for them to escape my demons jumping on them. I exited at the next stop as tho I owned NY. This is so out of character. Another time I was in the Brooklyn Heights area for work. Thousands of weirdly dressed men walked in unison between the Watchtower buildings. It was creepy.

They have a very bad reputation in Brooklyn Heights. Brooklyn Heights is even nicer than Greenwich Village, IMO. The people are active in block associations and lovingly restore brownstones. The housing stock is superb. This is definitely an arugula eating crowd. Dead plants, fake plants are worse than no plants. Fake plants are the ultimate in tackiness. Despite repeated requests, the Society would not install fresh plants. I believe they offered to pay for the plants to upgrade the whole neighborhood. They are fake, not even faux. Sometimes I want to kick Hasidic Jews. The same is true with Witneeses. I don't know why. It is an ugly impulse that terrifies me. They are the other.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I wear pants to church.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I allow my necklines to be lower than they used to be.

• sherah
    sherah

I'm not as concerned with low necklines and creeping hemlines.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, my skirts got shorter, above the knee. *Gasp!*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit