How long did it take you to get rid of your WTS library & literature?

by Think About It 41 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THINK ABOUT IT, When I found out the religion's hidden history and scandals on the internet in the year 2000 I started getting rid of it a little at a time. Some things I tore into shreds in anger such as a songbook signed by one of the so-called anointed. I had nothing but contempt after finding out all the deception. I treated it all with the contempt it so richly deserved. So, all the religion's self-serving trash has been thrown out except for a NWT and the Bible story book.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Dude! I would sell it on Ebay! Especially if one has the Studies in the Scriptures! You can make $100 easily! That is better than just trashing them that's for sure.

I still have all of mine.

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

I am just now coming to the realization that what I've been taught my entire life was a lie. I feel betrayed and confused. My husband is Protestant and he's begging me to get involved w/the beliefs. Right now, I don't know what to feel about all of this. I still have literature from the WTBS even though I haven't been to a meeting in about 2 years. I guess I just keep thinking that it's huge disrespect to throw it all out. I'm still "gripped" in fear. My mom who's been baptized for over 20 years and very much still active told me that I'm a walking corpse to her and that I don't care about my two kids or my husband and their blood is on my hands. What a horrible thing to say: something I've been carrying around w/me for YEARS. It hurts.

----confused in Seattle, WA

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I have a HUGE library, tons of old stuff, the Studies in the Scriptures, the Rainbow books, and most all the books from the sixties and seventies. I have a lot of secular commentary, and interlinear translations , word studies, concordances, etc. I am hanging on to it all. Now I am collecting apostate stuff. It's all good. I have a couple of thousand books already in my house, there are bookcases everywhere, so I know I won't be able to throw out books. I just can't do it.

My sister though, she threw them out within two weeks. All of it. When my sister is done with something, she is DONE!!!!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Mochamint, welcome to the board....we have all been at that "confused" stage and it is normal. Take a few deep breaths and slowly soak things in. Basically it is almost like being in 1st grade again, learning all kinds of new things and figuring out what to do. You will find lots of people in the same boat so to speak. Sorry to hear of your Mom's hate speech. She is just trying to guilt you back to the meeting because she doesn't know how else to help you.

I have plenty of literature myself, basically for reference. It just seems like there is nothing like having the actual book or magazine in your hand, its like evidence to a crime. I came across an original KM a few years ago with the encouragement from the branch for brothers to sell their homes and pioneer in 74. That thing is golden!

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It all went up in flames about 2 years ago. My poor husband went to the memorial last year didn't even have a bible or a song book to take. I don't think he is goin this year! NMKA

• Violia
    Violia

I walked away in late 90's and in about 2002 we threw out our entire WT bound volumes. Just threw them in the trash. We did keep some books that had belonged to my parents ( jws from the Rutherford era) books from the Rutherford era, and possibly the Russell era. I also kept the Insight on the Scriptures and the Aide to Bible understanding and the James book. I kept the NWT , mostly to compare it to other Bibles.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:How long did it take you to get rid of your WTS library & literature?

As long as it took me to load it into my car, take it over and give it to a congregation I had only visited ONCE and never again for a Sunday meeting where no one even said "Hi" to me or my wife the day we went there. It was the last meeting I ever attended.

I had already given away (as an adult) for next-to-nothing my copy of an original Photo Drama of Creation slide set and booklet to an Overseer I knew since childhood. I was told about 15 years ago that set is was worth $20,000. I had all the original hand-painted slides and they were in perfect condition.

The rest of my library is worth about the same amount today, but even when I donated it, it was quite valuable and a nearly complete set of everything that the Society had printed from the very beginning. Not reprints, mind you, but originals all the way back to the first Watch Tower.

I didn't even get a phone call or letter saying "thanks" from that Congregation. I'm sure they didn't know what gems I had freely given them. I surely didn't at the time. I do now. Damn! But I did get rid of a pile of paper shit!

Farkel

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

I read in a Book collectors magazine a year or two ago, that the first 2 issues of the Zion's Watchtower (July & August 1879) went for $12,320. They were auctioned by Winters Associates in Plainville,Ct.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Since June 2005 was my last field circus (and I didn't even bother reporting it), I already had most of my littera-trash shredded. The rags went in the shredder, and I did a thorough search and destroy mission for those rags. In July 2005, I shredded what little remained. The books went in the garbage the next year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit