Another Bad Witness - Elder School on Christmas Day?

by LostGeneration 25 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Our Circuit had the Elder School at a local Kingdom Hall. I never heard of them having to rent a conference room.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

I'm glad I was never an MS or Elder. Who wants to go to long boring 'Sausage Fest' meetings?

3Mozzies

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They close regular schools down for Christmas. Most colleges close on Christmas; many dorms close so students have to go home whether they like it or not. Courts and government offices close for the holidays. Banks are closed. Most stores, except those open 24/7 (like Seven-11), are closed (even most major supermarkets). And these witlesses are supposed to be holding their "How to disfellowship and threaten" school on Christmas Day?

I could imagine how sickening it would be to attend one of those men-fests. Whether or not they are gay is besides the point. I would simply puke at the thought of being in a room, all day, with more than 100 just plain men (especially dressed like witlesses)--and all the more so if the community paints me as being in some gay party with all those men. A nice way to look like a complete dork to the community--especially those who have to service the event. Hell, the witlesses don't even like that I own Michael Jackson records because I might stumble others--yet they don't seem to give a fxxx that this could easily stumble the whole community.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

For some this might even be a relief. There is valid non-discussable reason to be away from family. It could even save some domestic beating. Holiday times staring eachother for too long can be stressful.

CP

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

So I guess the arrogance of the WT pisses of the elders as saving money is more important than people's time. And the ignorance of the WT will come through as "worldly" people are put off seeing the upcoming cult fest.

This right here, this describes my personal feelings, and I'm 100% sure the feelings of many other elders who wouldn't dare speak it to another elder. Those rotton, filthy, dispicable men amongst the higher ups in this organization are so arrogant and haughty, and take for granted that people work for a living and have families and responsibilities. I look forward to my days off, and the last thing I want to do is spend two days going over bureaucratic nonsense. The only thing I'm really looking foward to is clarification on holidays and traditions, as it was really vague in the new Flock book. It left me under the impression that they're backing off a little bit on holidays such as Thanksgiving, although I could very well be looking too far into it. I'm also curious to see how they're going to relay increased emphasis on the no-blood policy, and the no-higher education policy. Plus I have a feeling there will be a couple other gems I'll need to keep an ear open for. I might tape it, I'm considering the thought.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Yet one more reason for an elder to opt out and resign, to reclaim any semblance of a normal life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They hold them on the holiday so that most elders can tear themselves away from their janitorial jobs- the shops they clean are already closed.

I went to one elder school on the weekend of Xmas. The hotel conference room had stackable chairs. Each evening when we were done, a bunch of hotel staff stacked our chairs like lightning and carried in several huge round tables already loaded with dishes and silver, ready for the party. We couldn't exit fast enough to get out of the way.

So I imagine they got an even bigger break for cooperating with this schedule. The microphones and visual equipment (some kind of overhead projector) had to be put up each evening and put out again by our own people.

I am also confident that this time of year allows the elders and M.S.'s an excuse to ditch non-JW family that weekend.

• sir82
    sir82

I'm sure, in the minds of the WT higher ups, they are doing the elders a great favor by scheduling these things when it is less likely that an elder with a corporate-style job would have to ask for days off to attend.

And, in the mind of "all in" elders, it's a "wonderful privilege" to be "fed spiritually" in this way.

The reality is:

The WTS schedules these schools around corporate-America vacation time because they realize if they didn't, attendance would suffer dramatically, and they want the maximum indoctrination time possible.

And while many elders will be all glossy-eyed and "spiritually high" upon completion of the school, nothing will really change, and within a month the congregations will be run with the same level of boredom and minimal efficiency as always.

• St George of England
    St George of England

In my neck of the woods the Elder's meeting is held at a local KH. This is scheduled for tomorrow (Friday, 24th) and Christmas Day (Saturday, 25th). The MS are scheduled for Boxing Day, (Sunday, 26th).

However, as Christmas falls on a weekend, Monday and Tuesday (27th & 28th) is a Bank Holiday and thus the re-scheduled Circuit Assembly that had to be cancelled last weekend due to snow and ice!

That decision is really popular.

George

• Gayle
    Gayle

They'll probably be happy at least they won't have to go in field service this weekend. Also, I wonder if the hotel staff will see plenty more empty liquor bottles after.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit