Please reccommend older Watchtower publciations for stumbling purposes

by TheStumbler 49 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

The most effective way to stumble a JW with older publications is to line them all up just behind the gate on your property. When they open the gate, and begin to enter your property, distract their attention away from the pathway by whatever lawful means possible.

It's truly a delight to see these closed-minded individuals stumbling over Russell's antiquated "Divine Plan of the Ages" and Knorr's thunderously sleep-inducing "Let God Be True". I had the happy experience of seeing a local JW elder slip over a well-thumbed copy of "The Truth That Leads To Eternal Life". I had that book opened on the page with the diagram showing an arrow pointing to the mid-1970s. Talk about an extra big stumble for such a small book.

I have seen the most defensive, closed-minded JW stumble within seconds of entering my property. It seems to work every time.

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

cabasilas

Cabasilas,

I didnt realise Strictlygenteel.co.uk was run by a JW. I used that site for some of my reasearch into the Blue creation book and the Vailian ring/canopy. I assumed it was 'apostate' - I hate using that word. I had some time earlier to check out some of those links you posted - great stuff! I have printed out some of them.

Diamondiz, Thanks - Kingdom Come sounds like am after too. Do you have any links to PDFs?

Is this stuff out of copyright because of its age?

Do you think any Witnesses find it suspicious they are getting rid of older publications in their Libraries? Do all Kingdom Halls have libraries? I have never noticed a Library before.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Stumbler, what a great thread! Welcome to the forum!

I've been doing a bit of reading (Crises of Conscience, Alan Feubacher, and some of these forums). Any way, my dad and I were talking about religion a few days ago and I couldnt believe I had a better grasp of some topics than he did.

Of course you would have a better grasp than your father. You have been educating yourself. Your father rehashes the same old stuff that the organization feeds its flock, day after day, month after month and year after year. Only when the organization gets caught in another scam does it change its wording, declaring it to be "new light."

Thanks everyone for posting these great links loaded with great historical information. AWESOME!

Cheers!

ESTEE

• cantleave
    cantleave

Captives of a concept is a great book, it uses the proclimers book very effectively.

• yknot
    yknot

While not pre-1914.... 1932's Preservation pg 193, 194 (Rutherford) had a nice little 'gem' :

"By his spirit, the holy spirit, Jehovah God guides or leads his people up to a certain point of time, and thus he did until the time when "the comforter" was taken away, which would necessarily occur when Jesus, the Head of his organization, came to the temple and gathered unto himself those whom he found faithful when he, as the great Judge, began his judgment, in 1918."

http://www.archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

Why is this 'relevant' in our time..... simply because it is true that Rutherford is more our 'founder' then Russell and all of his 'interpretations' were done so under the alleged influence of 'angels' rather than holy spirit.

This of course explains why we have a different truth or gospel than traditional Christendom. We even say so directly in the 1981 WT

w81 5/1 p. 17 par. 3 If God Has an Organization, What Is It? ***
    3 Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel of the Kingdom done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah’s Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah’s Witnesses is really “gospel,” or “good news,” as of God’s heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914.

You can follow up by asking him to read Gal 1:6-9 from the NWT!

(Galatians 1:6-9) 6 I marvel that YOU are being so quickly removed from the One who called YOU with Christ’s undeserved kindness over to another sort of good news. 7 But it is not another; only there are certain ones who are causing YOU trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. 8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

To review..... WT 'gospel' not Christ impaled (1 Cor 1:23) rather Christ enthroned in 1878 1914, this revelation was not under the guidance of 'holy spirit' but of Angel(s).

I also suggest anything prior to 1922 , the FInished Mystery 1917 edition is a nice read....I believe the archive one is 1918 but has the 1917 pages at the end of the pdf!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Yknot,

Right. The 1918 edition referenced above has the famous censored section replaced. You can read what was censored (from a sermon by a minister of Christendom!) by government officials at the end. (It was an anti-war semon.)

There are a couple of other changes between the 1917 and 1918 editions. (Some of the 1918 stuff was softened as the End was not happening fast enough!)

You can read a text version (alas, not a scan version) of the 1917 edition here:

http://ia700102.us.archive.org/10/items/TheFinishedMysteryTextVersion/1917_The_Finished_Mystery_Text.pdf

The edition of The Finished Mystery up at Strictly Genteel (and yes, its a pro-JW site) is from much later and all the false prophecies have been changed.

A pared down version of the stuff in the Finished Mystery can be found in the March 1, 1918 WT (also known as ZG):

http://www.archive.org/details/ZgMarch11918WatchTower

Some of the predicitons in the ZG edition are showing some editing also (as compared to the 1918 ed. above and the 1917 ed.)

Similarly with the book: The Revelation of Jesus Christ According to the Siniatic Text, published by the WT Society, later in 1918:

http://www.archive.org/details/TheRevelationOfJesusChristAccordingToTheSinaiticText

• smiddy
    smiddy

If you can show him copies of the very first watchtower ever printed by Charles Taze Russell ( 1879 ) The very heading tells you two very important points " Zions Watchtower and Herald of Christs Presence"

1. C.T Russell was a firm beleiver in the" Zionist" movement.

2".Heralding" Christ`s presence from 1879 onward proves he beleived J.C. had invisibly returned in 1874 as was often stated in his writings ...And for good measure you might add he never referred to himself as a" Jehovah`s Witness",nor did any of his associates

The only thing C.T. Russell preached or taught in his writings that is accepted today by witnesses is the rejection of the trinity doctrine, EVERYTHING else has been discarded

smiddy

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

Thanks for all the links, I've printed some of it out already.

I'm in Christmas eating/drinking mode for the next couple of days so I'll give this stuff a closer read in a couple of days time.

Would you suggest that I highlight or underline some of the more crazy stuff before giving it to my Dad to read?

Good news - I just installed Google Chrome and its got a spell checker so hopefully less typos in my future posts! :)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I assumed it was 'apostate' - I hate using that word.

I used to hate the word, too, but now that I've taken ownership of it, it's a badge of honor. Being an apostate from a dangerous mind control cult is something to be proud of, not ashamed.

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

I find it really interesting that your dad has given you so much of his time to listen to you questioning everything! He either thinks he can win you over or is being super careful just waiting for you to slip up with anything that sounds apostate ... ~Time will tell..

Welcome to this site By The Way :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit