Facebook makes people you don't see very often more real

by sabastious 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Social networks have their pros and cons, but overall I really enjoy them. It lets you peer into the window of the lives of people you care about that live too far away to have a regular relationship with. You still feel connected.

-Sab

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

That's a good point; i agree! Although i have mixed feelings. I've had the experience of it reducing the amount of more personal contact with some friends. They had some news, and felt they had already told me because they put it on their FB! boo. Previously, they would have emailed or called me. I don't know, i guess i just like having a few more personal, committed friends, rather than like a million virtual friends.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I don't know, i guess i just like having a few more personal, committed friends, rather than like a million virtual friends.

Why does it have to be either or? Why can't you have a million virtual friends and a few personal committed ones too?

-Sab

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

If they replace real interaction with you, with virtual interaction, how good of a friend are they really? Real friends will still be just as committed to you regardless of facebook.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I agree Sab. FB allows you to get to know another dimension of the people on here (such as real names). I find FB invaluable.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I really love Facebook. I've been able to get in touch with high school friends I haven't seen in over 25 years. I've wondered what happened to them but had no way to find out then came Facebook which opened up a whole new window of opportunity. I also like how it lets me keep in touch with my friends back in Indiana and with family who I see only once a year.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

After having spoken to a few young people, they all agreed that if you are over the age of 25 and have a Facebook account, you are having problems accepting the fact that you are already an old geezer.

JDW

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

On Facebook I'm friends with my brother and his wife, and I'm friends with their son. But they're not friends with each other because he's disfellowshipped because he got a divorce. Strange stuff.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Took that to heart, did ya JDW?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    On Facebook I'm friends with my brother and his wife, and I'm friends with their son. But they're not friends with each other because he's disfellowshipped because he got a divorce. Strange stuff.

Indeed, Facebook has really exposed how weird we are as a species socially.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit