Latest Special Talk in Australia

by jwfacts 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

No, I don't mean the visit by Oprah.

There was a special talk on Sunday relayed to all the Aussie congs from Sydney. Apparently the speaker had an American accent, but was stationed in a latin American country.

He was really pushing field service and pulled out the old one that: If you do not witness you are not one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Then he said:

"Just as tithing was compulsory for the Jews, field service is now for JW's."

Did any fellow Aussies on JWN hear the talk or have further info? Was the same talk given in the US?

• baltar447
    baltar447

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You are hereby sentenced to hang by the neck until you cheer up.

• yesidid
    yesidid

That's interesting Paul.

I have not heard about the tithing being equated to the door to door work before.'

Is it new or have I just not heard it.

y

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

No, I don't mean the visit by Oprah.

I had to laugh at that one. I went in the lottery to get a ticket to be in the audience, but lucked out.

As for the special talk, I haven't heard anything about it. And I was talking to a JW just a week ago.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

If only Oprah would dedicate an episode to JW child abuse, families broken up by disfellowshipping and children dying by refusing blood transfusion. That would be such a fantastic christmas gift.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am surprised that Oprah has not done a show on disfellowshipping. I am sure she would care about the destruction of families. Even if it was to showcase children from a few high control religions, instead of just JWs.

The Watchtower normally condemns tithing. However, I did find a 1955 reference to preaching being spiritual tithing.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Arial} p.p2 {margin: 6.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-indent: 14.4px; font: 10.0px Arial}

***w5512/15p.753par.28TheTestThatLeadstoaBlessing***

This field activity will also include advertising public meetings by word of mouth and leaflet, by attending them oneself and by helping others, whether dedicated brothers or recently interested persons, to attend. Spiritual tithing or tenthing includes our helping along the global movement of “all nations” and “all peoples” up the exalted mountain of Jehovah’s house to his temple courts, there to worship him together

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have found some modern references too.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Arial} p.p2 {margin: 6.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-indent: 14.4px; font: 10.0px Arial}

***w0312/1p.17par.12“ShowYourselvesThankful”***

First of all, as we have seen, the tithing arrangement was not optional; each Israelite had an obligation in this regard. As Christians, we have the responsibility of participating in the ministry and attending Christian meetings. These activities are not optional.

***w887/1p.11par.14“ShowYourselvesThankful”***

Tithing meant giving the specific amount of one tenth—and there was no option about this. Similarly, today there are specific commands resting upon all of Jehovah’s servants, also without options. We are to meet together regularly, and we must publicly preach the good news of Jehovah’s Kingdom and help others to become Christ’s disciples.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

dont know if the same theme of talk will be given here in the UK, they seem to have given up the ghost in regards in FS here, you could have a "spot the Dub in FS" competition around here , so scarce they are.

• Listener
    Listener

Does that mean that it calculates out as follows -

Standard work week = 38 hours x 48 weeks a year - 11 public holidays (83.5 hours) - 10 compassionate days (38 hours) =

1702.5 hours a year x 10% -= 170.25 (3.27 hours a week)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit