Do You Think You'll Grow Old and Die?

by leavingwt 31 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Do you think you'll grow old and die? Or, do you think your life will be cut short by a worldwide apocalyptic event (put in motion by man or God)?

Disclosure: I'm definitely not apocalyptic and I do not live in expectation of any worldwide event that will cut my life short.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do not know.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Definitely not the "by God" thing.

I think that all the world leaders learned from watching "War Games" that there is no winning a fullscale nuclear war, but there could always be some plague upon us. Disaster and cancer can take me, personally. My wife could bump me off for the life insurance.

But I imagine I will grow "older" and die.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Sighhhh... depends on what day you ask me. I wish I wasn't a news junkie, because the news reaffirms the things I associate with the apocalyptic upbringing I'm dealing with. The research I've done on John's Revelation leads me to conclude what he was writing had absolutely nothing to do with our time. However, it's hard trying to shake this upbringing and indoctrination. The ironic thing, I look at other apocalyptic people and laugh at them like they're crazy. Meanwhile I'm going crazy because I have this nagging feeling God is planning on destroying me for spending too much time on this website, and not having faith, or doing enough to support his slave. I also have this other nagging feeling that my life has been based off of a lie told to my parents. They passed the lie on to me. Xanax anyone?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Meanwhile I'm going crazy because I have this nagging feeling God is planning on destroying me for spending too much time on this website, and not having faith, or doing enough to support his slave.

May I ask you a question? Have you read Steve Hassan's first book? Any fear I had of Armageddon disappeared when I completed it. You may have a similar experience.

• designs
    designs

misery- There are many scholars who agree that 'Revelation' was an anti-Rome diatribe.

leavingwt- Watch out for BIG Comets they come around every 30,000,000 years...........

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    leavingwt- Watch out for BIG Comets they come around every 30,000,000 years...........

Indeed. I also assume that our Sun -- like other stars -- has a finite life.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

May I ask you a question? Have you read Steve Hassan's first book? Any fear I had of Armageddon disappeared when I completed it. You may have a similar experience.

No, I've seen a couple posters mention often enough. One of these days I'll have to order it.

Something else I wanted to mention, since reading your original question about an apocalypse being man-made or by God's hand. Initially I mentioned that I fear God's hand, and that's true. However, a man made apocalypse is on the back of my mind too. There's a certain civility lacking in this country, and I fear where it may lead to. Whether that be a race war, or civil war with people drawing to sides based off of political leanings, I don't know. This country is heading towards something.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

MLE -- You may want to avoid all Glen Beck broadcasts.

Check your PMs.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

At 67 and having been through open-heart surgery all ready - I am sure that I will die when my time comes. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I laugh everytime I read an article or see a documentary about how the Sun will go cold and the solar system will freeze over and the planets will all crash into each other in a few million years. Yeah, like homo sapiens will even exist then! Who cares. We'll all be in blackness by then - unconscious to what happens in the Universe - just as we were when the whole thing came together.

I've never understood why human beings want to live forever. Why?

OK - the first hundred years would be tolerable. Maybe even the second hundred. But living forever? What do you do that's new after 1000 years? 2000 years? Can you imagine spending two nights a week a the local Kingdom Hall at the corner of Heavenly Place and Paradise Road for the next 10,000 years.

What would you do after 100,000 years. One million? Remember, you are hoping for "Life Everlasting"!

No - I think that I will enjoy my lifetime, whatever it turns out to be. I'll probably fight dying early like everyone else. But when it comes, it comes. I'll live as long as my DNA continues to appear in some of my descendants. When all of them die - then I too will die completely. So be it.

In the meantime, I'm eating, drinking, and having a hell of a good time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit