Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

by Simon 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

(the David Bowie song in case you're wondering)
    There seems to be a lot of talk and speculation about the changes that are coming at the next district conventions. There have certainly been quite a few articles and talks (esp. one day assemblies) that seem to have been preparing for some change.
    Anyone care to guess what it's going to be ?
    I personally think that the 607 date will be dropped and maybe even the 1914 date too bit it will have to be done OH SO CAREFULLY!
    It will be interesting to see. What does everyone else think ?

• Dubby
    Dubby

Simon,

I tend to agree with you. The WTS has taken major flack over these dates. Like so many other WT laws and dates, they will be slooowly done away with.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

The way many in my congregation avoid answering questions when going door to door about 1914, I would think that the date never was something to be looked at to begin with.

I own copies of the Millennial Dawn as well as Studies in the Scriptures by Pastor Russel. When I first started reading these over 11 years ago I can see why the Society abandoned the use of the books. Volume 2 and 3 said much about 1914 and what would culminate. The date 1914 was changed to 1915 in later editions 0f volume 2 page 101.

The seventh volume was not written by Russel, it was written by Clayton J. Woodworth and George H. Fisher in 1917. This volume is something that I think every Jehovah Witness should read.

I do not know if there is anything in the seveth volume that is looked at today by the Society as spiritual light of any kind.

It is Jehovah and his word that we should look to for guidance.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, the generation thing has already gone, so 607 and 1914 seem to be the next logical progression.

Perhaps something new about the 144,000? After all, the presumed last members of this class are pretty old. Or has this already been taken care of? I get so confused sometimes. (sigh)

• waiting
    waiting

Well, myself, I stayed confused. Taking off blinders and seeing what regular old common sense light looks like versus New Light confuses the heck out of me - where has my common sense been for 30 years?

If the Society makes any changes - one thing is liable to stay the same - they've never been actually wrong about anything.

BTW, I've been reading about Russell lately, which I have never done before. The man borrowed ideas from anyone, including astrology, occult, etc. The man's reasonings, sometimes, were totally whacked, in my opinion.

That doesn't really bother me, though. What bothers me is that some of our fundamental teachings are strongly rooted in his time tables -
    and the Society picks and chooses what we know about Russell and what he really taught.

• Teletubbie
    Teletubbie

I believe that the change will be on the Blood issue. If you check, between lines, the watchtower Nov 15th 2002, question for readers, it is a matter of conciense. The illustration in the watchtower it is very clear.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

But haven't the district conventions taken place? Has there been any "new light?"

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Welcome to the board, Teletubbie!

• borgfree
    borgfree

Maybe they will announce they were right about the "millions now living will never die" teaching. They just had the wrong expectations. The ones we thought had died are actually alive, invisibly, and all JWs will live forever but invisibly, along with those "millions", and the "faithful ones of old", in another dimension.

Borgfree

• stephaniesays
    stephaniesays

I was told that if someone from the 144,000 is DF or something, someone else takes their place, so couldn't that go on and on? Not sure if the new person filling in has to be of that generation or not? Anyone know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit