New Facebook Rule for JWs?

by wifeofjw 32 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife friended one of her aunts on FB. Sometime in July, I asked my mom and my mil to host a baby shower for my wife. My MIL invited my wife's aunt but she refused to attend because some of my wife's 'worldly' friends wished her a happy birthday.

How anal can you get, huh?

Well, anyway, when I caught wind of it, I went and soughted her out. Then I sent her a message on FB blasting her for being so judgemental. Needless to say she got upset with me and backpedalled on the whole story saying that her reason for not attending had nothing to do with FB. She said that she just did not get the invitation that I was counting on my MIL to give her. So I told her that the next time there is an event concerning my wife, I would invite her personally.

Now my MIL maintains that she did not attend because of the birthday wishes on my wife's FB page.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Facebook is a double edged sword. When a JW has plenty of JW friends it makes them feel what a loving brotherhood they are part of. When a JW sees that worldly people have many friends and starts making some for themselves, it makes them realise leaving is not going to be that hard. I think the WTS will be swinging back and forth on this topic for years,

• safireblu64
    safireblu64

I'm on facebook too, and I remember when we had coucil about BEBO. Remember that site? I think what they are trying to do is prevent any and all ways of their secrets being leaked by way of talking to ex-members. They are trying to calk every nook and cranny. It's absolutely unnecessary. They truly are trying to control virtually every aspect of our lives or whatever they can get their hands on!!!! Anyone who wants to add me to their facebook, just send me a personal message and I'll give you my name. My fiance and I are looking for ex-members to get to know. :)

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

My daughter just asked for me to set her up a FB account. She decided it is how she wants to stay in touch with her school friends (all bar one NOT JW) while the summer school holidays are on.

I explained first that she had to be aware that the JWs do not like FB. That some congs are hot on it and some not. That some use it to find and dob in other JWs on it.

She understands this well.

Other than that, i let her know that i will be monitoring it for her own safety and that her privacy settings be set to friends only, and that any photo of her is not to be used as a profile picture. And all explained very clearly why...

oz

I really think the WT is losing the battle over social sites big time.

• Newborn
    Newborn

Oh god!!

Internet will be the fall for the borg! I'm sure they'll advice them not to be on FB. It's Satan's tool...

• conoroberst
    conoroberst

there has been no official HQ edict on FB, anything that states rule is personal local opinion of COs or Elders, most direction has been directed towards how minors interact with social media, but yes from my experience and feedback the less progressive elders do jump on this subject as they dont really understand it.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

And just wait until you get bit by the Farmville bug...it's another cult all by itself..

• ziddina
    ziddina

I recall some commentary from the people who had recently attended the district assembly, about a talk that mentioned Facebook accounts in a negative light for all 'true' Christians...

When I have time - ha ha ha ha ha - I'll try to find it...

Does anyone else remember such comments from recent assemblies????

Zid

• Nowman
    Nowman

Could it be that its because Facebook has been on the news recently regarding divorce, I forget the % of how many people split up or divorce because of it (people reconnect with old flames etc) and it was a high %...man/woman in the split actually use the FB messages has proof of infidelity.

This was on the news 3 days of last week, maybe more....

Nikki

PS: I luv facebook! hee hee

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

my fanatical Dub sister dumped me as a FB friend some months ago, has blocked my mobile so I cant text her and refuses to answer her phone or voice mail.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit