The organisation wants our money

by Heartofaboy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Confirmed. It was indeed a scheduled part in the Kingdom Ministry.

"The Society" doesn't think this is asking for money.

They think they are doing the sheep a favor by enlightening them on how they can leave their assets in ways that will avoid probate.

Poor old ladies wouldn't want "God's Organization" to have any problems after they die claiming the riches that were left them to further Kingdom interests on earth. Sign your properties over while you are alive for an easy transition.

Very disturbing part when you are awake.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Yeah, it was a part on the Service Meeting. The WTS actually as a brochure on "charitable planning". I think the article is always in the Nov WT and this part is given every year. A slight encouragement was a look my wife gave me in the middle of the part. She kind of rolled her eyes and looked annoyed when they were talking about leaving money to the WTS in your will.

I will say that I'm also getting lots of solicitation mailers from many not for profit orgs this time of the year. The difference is many of them actually provide society with some sort of service as opposed to what the WTS does.

But, of course, they NEVER beg for money or pass the plate! LOL - it doesn't occur to them that this is in the same boat?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

In the part held at our hall, the brother spoke about the funds being put to good use by "the worldwide Bible education work and humanitarian efforts of Jehovah's Witnesses" ... not quite verbatim, but close ... I don't know if this was something actually taken from the "Charitable Planning" brochure or his own words. Humanitarian efforts?

• blondie
    blondie

They have that part every year accompanied with a side article in the WT every November or December. It is timed around the end of the tax year and is a prompt to make larger donations and get a tax break. There is even a brochure for your financial planner.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You know the tradition of showing your displeasure for horrible service by leaving a tip of one cent?

I wonder if we organized a mail-in campaign of donations to the Borg consisting of one penny each if they'd get the point.

• james_woods
    james_woods

They have always lusted after family estates - at least as long as I have been around them, since the early 1960s.

However, through most of the 1960s they strictly forbid verbally asking for donations from the platform - too much like worldly christendom. Estate planning was done quietly in the background. If the estate was big enough, watchtower legal would send somebody to help get the will redone. Hayden Covington was one of the chief protagonists in this. I know of one large estate that he manipulated into a society bequest and left the natural heirs out in the cold. But nothing was publicly said about contributions or estates by tradition at that time.

Everything changed, IMHO, when the society needed large sums of money to convert from letterpress printing to offset printing and replacing the line-o-type machines with computer typesetting. At that point, service meeting parts were made to ask for donations. COs also mentioned it in their talks to the congregations. Many of us were shocked by it - it completely broke the tradition of not asking for money from the platform.

They have apparantly grown more bold over the years about begging money - I guess the only difference with churches of christendom on this subject now is that they still don't "pass the plate", instead depending on more and more prominently displayed contribution boxes.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Give until it hurts. Jehovah will repay you tenfold. Or, some old geezers will laugh all the way to the bank.

• wobble
    wobble

Isn't it a hoot ! Jehovah owns the whole Universe, every bit of money and gelt in it, but his organization has to beg for money !

Back in the day, super-confidant Rutherford did his "Coal Test " and got away with it, I think he probably manipulated that one, but today's WT would not have the chutzpa to do the same.

• clarity
    clarity

Yes I heard it too. Funny no one wonders why they want our realestate, RSP's, insurance policies, jewellery, cash and anything else that isn't nailed down ...... I thought the end was sooo close, the time when the money will be thrown into the street!!!!!

Wobble, re Rutherfords 'coal test' - looking at Russell's history, I saw a referrence to a large Coal Co connection. Hmmm, I used to brag about that darn coal story!!!

clarity

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Watchtower Bible and Money Pig Society..

A JW Service Meeting..

"Feed the WBT$ Money Pig!"..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3xnDWSJdjf0/S_sRJ1cuAHI/AAAAAAAABOA/zaHqLqKdA_c/s320/feed-the-pig2.jpg

The WBT$ Charitable Planning department..

http://www.paranormalstories.com/images/money-pig-f.jpg

The WBT$ "New System"..

http://storyfarm.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/money-pig.jpg

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit