I stopped going to the Kingdom Hall

by FloridaPerry 33 Replies latest jw friends

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

in late 1976, I had just turned 17. Everyone in my family dropped out over the next few years, except a a brother who has been going strong his whole life. My mother went back a couple of years ago and I live in the same town as she does and she keeps talking to me about it. Reading this forum, it sure brings back a lot of memories. I read Trevor Willis' book a couple of days ago and it dawned on me just how much being raised a JW, though I was not baptised, has effected my life up until this day. Not all bad, certainly not all good. A sense of "doom and unworthiness" seems to be somewhere in the crevices of your mind, always. I find it interesting that people who left there decades ago are posting about that organization decades after they left it. For good or bad, it defintely had a big impact on their lives. It also seems to me that the organization has become more "cult-like" in that they seem to have gotten more away from the Bible and rely on their own lterature for answers. I don't recall people being judged so harshly when they left when I was going, as seems to be the case now. After reading parts of "Crisis of Conscience", maybe they were and I just didn't pay attention or maybe that was a turning point.

The thing that I do like about the Jehovah's Witnesses is the people. Most of them seem sincere in their trying to live a moral life. That's appealing because it's tough to be a "lone wolf". Quite a few people I've met in my life who were "Christians", pretty much lived like I did, only I never pretended to be living a moral life, according to my understanding of the morality taught in the New Testament. I have noticed in my life that you could usually tell who ex-witnesses were. Many of the younger ones, when they let go, they REALLY let go! Sodmom and Gomorrah Part II.

However, I never understood when I was going what the Governing Body was all about. I guess I thought that they were just an administrative group, as any organization would need. I didn't realize they were to be looked at as Catholics view the Pope. The Elders that I knew in the KH that I went to seemed to be kind, sympathetic and non-judgemental. From what I'm reading they don't appear that way anymore, as a whole. Is there really STALKING going on to members who leave? If so, that's absurd.

A problem I have with JH is their view of Jesus. I talked to my mother and JH brother about this. I believe you have to go through him, and they say they do. Maybe, technically, they do. But they seem to downplay him as much as they can. There seems to be quite a few things like that with the JW's. "Technically" they say they believe in this or not in that, but in REALITY it appears to be much different.

Anyway, just a few ramblings. I enjoy reading the forum.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Nice to meet you

• Think About It
    Think About It

FloridaPerry.......welcome to the forum. Nice first post. Right before I left the JW's in 95', you could see a shift of the WTS putting less emphasis on Jesus, and more emphasis on the Governing Body. I didn't like it and it was one of the many things that opened my eyes to leaving.

Think About It

• wasblind
    wasblind

Welcome Flo,

And your right they do down play Jesus, Lets do the books in order, in (Matt 28:18) Jesus states that all authority has been given him in the heavens and on the earth.

(Acts 1:8) Jesus says they will be witnesses of him to the most distant parts of the earth.

(1 Cor 15:1-26) Paul states that the good news to be preached is about Jesus and the kingdom

( Galatians 1:11) Paul give out a warning not to preach anything different than this even if it comes from an angel

(Galatians 1:11) Paul states that this directive about the good news comes from Jesus

The WTS is most certainly goin' against the directive of Jesus Christ.

If you get to know Jesus, you will most certainly get to know the Father who sent him

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello and welcome to you.

Loz x

• mouthy
    mouthy

FP Welcome. Glad to have you join us.
    I will definitly say they DON'T follow Jesus
    He said to LOVE all ...even the enemy.
    Once you leave their fold ,they teach hate!
    My daughter MUST NOT speak to me on orders
    from the WISE & discreet slave????????
    But I do believe MOst of their followers are decent folks
    Doing what THEY believe is GODS will.
    After serving them faithfully for 25 years they df me,because
    I didn't believe Jesus came invisibly in 1914

Great to have you aboard......Mouthy> or as the WT calls me UNDESERVED KINDNESS> GRACE

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Flo one more thing, be thankful that you didn't get baptized, because the WTS alterd the words of scripture which is a sin

(Matt 28: 19) Jesus states: " Go therefore and make desiples of people baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit."

the WTS added spirit directed organization, Jesus didn't speak of any organization.

(Proverbs: 30: 5-6) states " Every saying of God is refined He is a sheild to those taking in refuge in him. Add nothing to his words that he may not reprove you, and that you may not have to be proved a liar."

again they lied, Jesus did not say to be baptized to an organization

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

If they were more like a group of "International Bible Students" without the GB, it would be pretty nice. But, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts, absolutely". I was reading "Crisis of Conscience" and it really hit home. Franz seemed to be an honest guy who threatened the power structure. It's too bad they weren't more like him. I grew up in North Alabama and attended some Assemblies in Gadsen and knew the Gregerson's, and the guy Franz stayed with. I knew one of his daughters. They were good people. To see how his own brother's stabbed him in the back was mind boggling. I wonder what ever happened with the Gregerson's? Does anyone know what happened to them after the book came out? Why can't points of contention be discussed openly in KH's without the threat of being kicked out of the group? I remember as a kid there was a book or whatever asking "Why is it Wise to Examine your Religion?". Apparently, that only applied to everyone else when it SHOULD apply to everyone. The "truth" can't survive scrutiny? The TRUTH can. I remember asking friends to go to the KH with me and they agreed they would if I would attend their Church with them too. That was a "no go". I always thought that was strange. I remember when I went to a Baptist Church with a friend of mine when I was 19. I was SCARED TO DEATH! It wasn't even a sermon, it was about singing. I was always taught these people were doing the will of Satan. It felt like all these people were demons trying to pull me away from the true "God". Like there couldn't have been really good people there too in search of God and worshipping him. Looking back now, it seems silly.

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

Why do they try to make everything so hard? Like their baptism. Weren't people being baptised on spot in Jesus' day? Believe in him, that is the issue.

"Behold, he cometh with the clouds; and everyeye shall see him, and they that pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him. Even so, Amen."

What's so difficult to understand about that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit