I stopped going to the Kingdom Hall

by FloridaPerry 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome, FloridaPerry,

You wrote, "A problem I have with JH is their view of Jesus. I talked to my mother and JH brother about this. I believe you have to go through him, and they say they do. Maybe, technically, they do. But they seem to downplay him as much as they can. There seems to be quite a few things like that with the JW's. "Technically" they say they believe in this or not in that, but in REALITY it appears to be much different."

As you read Crisis of Conscience, note how what really bothered RYay the most was the realization that the Society was supplanting Jesus.

You also wrote, "A sense of "doom and unworthiness" seems to be somewhere in the crevices of your mind, always."

As I just said in another thread, NT Christianity is all about forgiveness, grace, and Jesus.

The WT religion is all about rules, condemnation, and "the faithful and discreet slave organization."

I recommend that you put away all WT literature and just read the NT by itself, starting with Romans and Galatians.

You'll be amazed at how different the NT message is from the WT message.

1 John 4:18: "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Welcome FloridaPerry,

I was never the sharpest where JW doctrine was concerned but if ever anything was mentioned about Jesus being great or having power, it was always qualified by it being less that Jah. He also seemed a bit of a silent observer now as all the work was being done by the GB. I doubt I'd come to that conclusion now if I read the bible independently.

Our childhoods and parents will still have an effect on us in later years irrespective of what religion they were part of. When reading through experiences on JWN it does help one identify what relates to the cult though - pretty scary reading at times. There are a lot of us here who have gone through similar things.

mmxiv

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Why do they try to make everything so hard?"

I feel you Flo,

they make things hard and dificult to understand so that the rank and file will just zone out and follow along

because doing that is easier than trying to explain every detail about factionated blood or trying to sort out which generation will see the end.

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

I have read the NT many times. I'm open minded in regards to truth and thought I would give the JW's an objective look. I just can't understand, now, how intelligent people like those in my family could allow themselves to believe some of the things the JW's teach. They do have patented answers for so many things. "My people are no part of this world...". They have distorted and used that to justify so many things that seem bogus. Salvation is a GIFT. That is clearly made in the NT, that it CANNOT be earned. JW's SAY they agree with that, but that is clearly not as they function. So, when discussing with them, they can say their doctrine is THIS in making points, but it is THAT in reality.. But I have the advantage of having lived in the group before, so I recall the reality of it.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Salvation is a GIFT "

It most certainly is Flo,

I remember while I was a bible study, the sister who studied with me told me that even if i didn't embrace the "truth" her salvation depended on doing the preaching work, and that she would be blood guilty if she didn't.

" So, when discussing with them, they can say their doctrine is THIS in making points, but it is THAT in reality"

Yes, just like when they quote scripture saying no one knows when the end is coming, but yet, all through their history they did nothing but predict when then end would come.

• snakeface
    snakeface

FloridaPerry, welcome. Regarding your comment about the younger ones, "when they let go, they really let go!" That is so true. I have worked with prisons and discovered that many in there were witness youths who got into heavy partying, fights, thefts, and other crimes.

And yes, there really is stalking going on. Elders have come and walked around my property to peek in windows, try the doors, feel the car's hood to see if the engine was warm or cold...things like that.

• FloridaPerry
    FloridaPerry

"Faith without works...."

Yeah, I recall that one as a kid.

So let me get this straight, is this how they believe? If you don't go to the Kingdom Hall and are not a JW, you will be given a chance after Armageddon. If you spent 60 years going door to door but you just didn't quite meet standard, you will be killed. Is that correct? It can't be, because that sounds ridiculous.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" So let me get this straight, is this how they believe? If you don't go to the Kingdom Hall and are not a JW, you will be given a chance after Armageddon. If you spent 60 years going door to door but you just didn't quite meet standard, you will be killed. Is that correct? It can't be, because that sounds ridiculous."

the sister that studied with me, explained it to me in those terms. It made me wish i didn't except the study, and after I started progressing, all those demands wore me out mentally and physically. Besides the fact I had questions they either would not or could not answer, I was told to wait on Jehovah, I guess that meant wait on "new light"

I shiver at the thought that I almost ruined my life as I knew it and that of my daughters.

• mouthy
    mouthy

If you want to know what happened to the Gregersons call Marylin at 1-800-why-1914
    Or get into B.R.C.I he belongs to that group with Marilyn,Jim Penton,many other wonderful exJWS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hey! I'm in Florida too. Stopped going almost 4 years ago.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit