Wife & I were Without Electricity for 6 Days - Empathize with 3rd World......

by flipper 52 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Man that is a long time! I am glad you and your wife are weathering the storm. It's funny, the first night without power is romantic, light candles open up a bottle of wine, snuggle by the fire. The second night you eat canned chili that has been warmed up on the wood stove and drink beer that has been stored in the snow. Not as much snuggling happens.

SIAM

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We lose our power every time we have a half decent storm. Three days was the longest. For a couple of decades we would just cook on a makeshift grate and few bricks in the garden but we have finally got around to getting ourselves a gas BBQ. Must be getting soft.

• flipper
    flipper

SNOWBIRD- Wow ! So you used to have to carry water as a teenager ? I guess there ARE a lot of people off the grid in the U.S. - more than we know probably. Thanks, it's good to be back.

OTWO- I agree with you. People that are used to living without the niceties and conveniences in life DO tend to fair better in hard times without electricity because they are USED to it. By practice they have honed their survival skills . We may ALL have to do that some day, you never know.

NANCY DREW- Like you mentioned , it's amazing how people did things in the 1800's or old times. Sharing everything without much privacy- just for survival. We really are pampered in modern times to be sure. But like you- I prefer the convenience also.

OUTLAW- I agree- wood stoves are really very useful, I actually enjoy cooking on it when the power is out. Like yourself, I like my showers, so THAT was pretty rough for 6 days straight ! LOL ! My wife and I both felt like diving out into the snow or cold creek, but didn't want to get hypothermia ! I'll have to look into getting a generator sometime soon.

WITNESS 007- Yeah, it's very strange how dependent we all get on electricity, isn't it ? I don't think i get to the point of " suicidal " LOL ! , but it is an inconvenience without electricity for sure. Reading books is good for us- by the way ! LOL ! ( Just not WT literature ) Thought I'd clarify.

STUCKINAMOVEMENT- I was wondering how YOU are doing through this storm season also ? Yeah, it's romantic without lights the 1st night, but after that night after night it becomes about " survival ". LOL ! Hope things are going well for you too

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Flipper, if you have a big enough chain saw that pine tree should restock your wood pile for quite a while. Just need to wait a year or two to dry it a bit. Glad you're back from your at-home camping trip!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wow Flip, just saw your post. I was wondering if the storm got you too. Heard about all the power outages in the Foothills and was wondering if youall was affected. Glad to hear that you and the Missus are ok.

Josie

• flipper
    flipper

GL TIREBITER- Yeah, I have a 17 inch Echo chain saw that works really well. But first I'll have to put a chain around the top of the tree leaning on some oaks and pull it to the ground by my truck on a nearby road. Too dangerous to cut on it while it leans on the other trees. Safer to cut it resting on the ground. I like living, don't want to die. LOL ! Thanks, good to be back.

MRS. JONES- Nice hearing from you ! Yeah, we were definitely affected . 6 days without electricity. My wife and I debated about who would jump into the snow laden creek first ! Thanks for the kind words friend. We'll have to get together sometime soon and have lunch with you & hubby or something . Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Mr. Flipper, so sorry to hear of your power outage. Six days of that would've driven me nuts! I missed your initial post, because I've been with my husband in the hospital since Monday, 11/22 when he went into full cardiac arrest. He's having surgery at this very moment, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear how it went. Anyway, they've allowed me to stay here with him, but their showers are far from hot, LOL!

• flipper
    flipper

JAMIE- Thanks, we're doing fine now. How is your husband doing ? I was out of town the last 3 days- did he pull through his surgery O.K. ? I hope so ! Hang in there sis. Send him our love

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Sorry,you had to deal with that Flipper. I wonder if my brother had any problems. He lives in Northern CA too. I think I'll give him a call soon.

• flipper
    flipper

EMPTYINSIDE- Hey thanks friend. We are doing fine now, but it was a challenge. I hope your brother was O.K. too through the storm. Hope he didn't lose any trees crashing on his land ! It's scary when high winds blow these huge trees over. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit