Wife & I were Without Electricity for 6 Days - Empathize with 3rd World......

by flipper 52 Replies latest jw friends

• villabolo
    villabolo

Flipper. glad to hear that your major complaint was the lack of hot water.

A few suggestions for next time:

• Water filters. One Ruger 10/22 rifle per person residing at home (.22 caliber.). One case (5000 rounds) per rifle. They're relatively inexpensive and you can trade with it depending on how bad things get. Ten magazines per rifle. Don't keep them all loaded; it will weaken the springs.
    • Two months of food stored in the coolest spot you can find.
    • One high powered; 2 AA cell; LED flashlight per room and person. Not the trashy low powered ones but the ones whose light is comparable to a regular large battery maglite. They easily fit in a pocket and they're designed to have the head unscrewed so you can stand the flashlight on any flat surface. That will allow the bulb to shine in all directions. It's like a candle but much brighter. Batteries last a long time.
    • A taste for survivalist books.
    • I don't know diddly about computers but it may be possible to have dial up service as a backup. This is because the phone company has a separate emergency power supply.

villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

Nathan Natas:

Yikes, that's harsh! Did you find yourself eyeing your neighbors covetously, wondering what they might taste like?

It's always good to have a couple of bricks of .22's around. I'm just sayin'...

Villabolo: Ever seen (Or read.) The Road? I think a whole case of ammo might be best.

• flipper
    flipper

VILLABOLO- Thanks for the tips. Water filters, good idea. I'm not a gun or rifle guy so I probably wouldn't do that. But yeah, a 2 month supply of food is definitely good. We had a lot of candles and high powered flashlights so we were well equipped with those. Thanks

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Flipper, I'm surprised you didn't already have backup power.

Flipper, if you have a big enough chain saw that pine tree should restock your wood pile for quite a while. Just need to wait a year or two to dry it a bit. Glad you're back from your at-home camping trip!

That would be a nice supply of wood, but be careful, snagged trees are very dangerous. You're not only dealing with gravity, but compression of wood, that can explosivly release if containment is cut or further damaged. My great grandfather was killed by a similar senario.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Aren't pine trees bad for burning? I thought I heard that one time. Too much sap that sparks?

Maybe burn a good supply of WTBTS literature instead?

I may suggest burying your food in case of neighbors looting also..

Hey, you never know.

Snoozy..

• flipper
    flipper

DARKUNCLE- Thanks for the good advice & warning about that huge tree leaning on other trees. I'm not going to BREATHE on it or get near it until I've pulled it down to the ground with a long chain pulled from a truck. Don't want my wife to be a widow after only 4 years of marriage. I'm sorry your great grandfather died that way. My condolences to you. Thanks again

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Flipper:

Six days is a long time. The most we've been w/out electricity is maybe 1 to 2 hours. We are rather spoiled in this neck of the woods. Your experience reminds me of the need to prepare now, especially for the 'BIG ONE' they keep talking about. Thank you.

• flipper
    flipper

JWGONEBAD- Yeah, I think mANY of us are spoiled in this modern society. If the " big one " hit and say and knocked out electricity in a wide area it would possibly cause anarchy in society. Especially inner cities

• d
    d

I feel your pain where I live my house is always losing in any storm be snow or thunderstorm.last Oct of 2011 we had no power for 8 days but we survived.It really does bring a whole new appreciation for electricity.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Don't fret none, Y'all jus' had a taste of " Paradise " JW style

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit