I can't really seek professional help. Any self-help suggestions for depression?

by easyreader1970 25 Replies latest jw friends

• xjw666
    xjw666

Depression is part of the package of growing up in JW, for me anyway. I see depression as anger turned inwards - externalise it via martial arts or competitive running. Works for me :)

• sabastious
    sabastious

I battle depression every day, have been for over 6 years.

I have tried the pills they didn't work for me. I highly recommend therapy but if you can't afford it then keep these in mind:

1. Exercise

2. Proper diet

3. Remove yourself from situations once you feel the "itch" of depression. The mind works by association so if you change your surroundings it can help the depression dissipate before it gets to full bore

4. Find a single confidant that you can trust. This could be a person you know or maybe someone here. PM them and get their Facebook.

5. Find an objective support group (this forum works great) don't be afraid to vent your depressive thoughts here (but don't read into any off the wall comments or suggestions, find the real supporters).

6. Don't dwell on the past situations where you let the depression win. It WILL win sometimes, you just need to pick yourself up when it fades and analyze why it won and try to "alter course" to correct the problem for the future

Hope this helps

-Sab

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I went to a counselor and they recommended reading this book: Feeling Good by David Burns

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-Therapy-Revised-Updated/dp/0380810336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290207560&sr=8-1

You can usually find it at used book stores or the library. It's a lot to read, but it may help.

This one was also recommended: The Depression Cure

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738213888/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

I found it very helpful to talk to someone, and I hope you can find someone to talk to as well who doesn't charge too much.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Easy Reader, I am terribly worried for you. I have gone back to read many of your posts in the last two years before I decided to post to you. I wanted to know what kinds of things you were dealing with.

It seems to me that you have been dealing with depression for at least as long as you have been posting. Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen where you have been treated for it. Depression is not a feeling. It's a disease. It is not something that you "get over", it is something that people think they get over because they are in remission. A depression that has lasted for two years is long overdue for treatment. Please don't think of depression as something that can be talked out. A clinical depression probably requires medication. If the medication doesn't work, continue to see your doctor until he gets it right. Please look into some kind of counseling as well. You are dealing not only with your own mental health but your wife's as well.

I see where your wife has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This is one of the two most serious mental illnesses, and many of the things you have said about her may have more to do with her illness than you might think. (Her constant need to be "right" for example.) Bipolar disorder is not only painful and difficult for the patient, it is possibly even more difficult for the family. Those with bipolar disorder not only make destructive messes for themselves, but the ones who love them are affected as well. Many people think this disease is one of just "moods" but we all have moods, it is not the same for a person with BP. Bipolar disorder affects your abililty to control yourself. You find yourself in the grip of the disease, and no amount of reason works. This illness needs medication, and you should see your wife's doctor with her. I would suggest strongly that you educate yourself as much as possible on your wife's very serious illness. If you live with a Bipolar, you need the information. Don't just read some little book, do some research. There are bipolar forums as well.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps it is all the Watchtower, but....in my opinion, for such as it is worth, maybe the problem is more than that.

I know you say you can't afford professional help, but perhaps you can't afford not to.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Try United Way also, they go on a sliding scale.

Maybe someone can work around your time frame..

Best of luck,

Snoozy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, I suffer depression that isn't bad enough to consider medication. I do have insurance and go to a counselor. But, my sister is on medicaid and uses that through the city dept. of mental health to see a counselor. Also, the public library typically has the type of self-help books you might need. Writing helps me, particularly writing the specific thoughts or details that go through my mind when I have been reading a book.

I joined the local ex-JW's at meetup.com. They weren't meeting up regularly enough so I took over the organization of the group and we meet once a month. I also go to Alcoholics Anonymous and benefit from the group discussions.

Other than that kind of practical help, walking and bicycling and staying physically busy help a bunch. Maybe some hobby like painting or carving or learning an instrument will work for you.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Is your depression caused by living with a bipolar as reading Grandma's post seems to indicate. If so I may be of some help since I lived with this for for 20 years My wife was bipolar

• GrandmaJones
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Medicine does help. Try your local university they have research studies and they offer low cost or free medication in exchange for participation.

Yoga does help.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Many years ago, I found myself depressed and attempted suicide.

Not too long after that, I began college and began working towards the goal of graduating.

Setting goals and accomplishing them really helped me out. It gave my life meaning, purpose, etc..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit