I can't really seek professional help. Any self-help suggestions for depression?

by easyreader1970 25 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I really don't have the time or the finances for a professional psychiatrist. I know I am depressed and I know why. The problem, as I have said before in one or two other threads, is that the solution won't really change my depression and may, in fact, make it worse.

So I am resigned to being depressed but would like to know if there are some coping techniques or other suggestions. I will likely have to deal with this for quite a long time.

• blondie
    blondie

Some agencies charge on a sliding scale.

Also try NAMI for resources in your area.

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=your_local_nami

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I've read a few places where they say that taking multivitamins helps quite a lot. I have a bro-in-law that tried suicide. I forced him to go on multivitamins and vitamin C, and now he's as happy as he's ever been. It can be exacerbated by a chemical imbalance in the brain due to not enough nutrition/ the right nutrition. You won't notice a difference for about 3 months, once you start on multivits, so stick with it. Make sure you get good quality multivitamins, also with minerals.

Even if you have a good diet, suppliments will help. Some people's brains burn certain chemicals quicker than other people, and it triggers depression. It might sound like quackery, but a lot of doctors and nutritionists agree.

Hope this helps

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm no expert, but you don't need to see a Psychiatrist to be diagnosed with depression. The average family practice or PCP is capable of diagnosing mild depression. Even CRNPs are trained to make that call. While I think providers are prescribing drugs like candy nowadays, sometimes the average generic SSRI or similar therapeutic classes might be all you need to get back on your feet.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If you are relatively sedentary, try becoming more active. You don't need to run marathons - walking is fine. You can walk at indoor malls during inclement weather.

Practice smiling more - it does have a beneficial effect!

Indulge yourself in whatever form of humor you enjoy. Laugh more!

If you have time, volunteer to work at an animal shelter. The li'l critters will pay you back many times over, and you'll be doing GOOD WORK.

I offer these suggestions in the sincere hope that they will be of benefit to you.

• pirata
    pirata

A few books on cognitive therapy may be of use:

http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Therapy-Judith-Beck-Phd/dp/0898628474/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

http://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Dummies-Psychology/dp/0470665416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290200338&sr=8-1

I have the first one, but have only read the first few chapters. It is targetted towards a mental health therapist and is detailed in it's approach, but I still think it's accessible to a patient. The second one I have not read, but it seems to be more of a self-help workbook type with exercises and such. I really can't explain much more since I don't have a good understanding of the subject yet. I just remember hearing that this type of therapy has been used succesfully to cope with problems so I got interested in the subject. My impressino is that it is basically a way of retraining negative thinking.

Maybe Lady Lee may know more about this type of therapy?

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I'm not picking on your position or trying to bring you down, as I don't know all the details. But do you have health benefits through your job and if so, what do they cover? It costs me $15 per visit for a co-pay and actually the first 5 visits are free per incident.

miseryloveselders is correct. You don't need a therapist to tell you you are depressed. But I am a firm believer in their help. They are able to assist you in seeing things from a different perspective as well as help you to find some deep rooted causes that you may not be aware of or accept, but in reality are contributing to your depression.

I can side with you on the financial side for the most part. But are there perhaps somethings you can stop spending money on in the meanwhile? And even as far as time, along the same lines?

If it is going to help you, be proactive. FIND/MAKE THE TIME/ADJUSTMENTS! It is for YOUR benefit and sanity.

I wish you the best.

CoC

• asilentone
    asilentone

I would recommend that you buy the healthy healing book by Linda Page, it tells you what vitamins to take, etc.....for every health condition

http://www.healthyhealing.com/catalog/ProductFamily.aspx?id=115&srcID=8&srcTarget=Department

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/195653/1/Therapist-Visit-part-2

I thought that what man in black wrote in the above post could be helpful in understanding the benefits and importance of a therapist.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Aside from what blondie said, check into whether you have a teaching hospital or research facility anywhere near you. (Virtually every city has at least one.) I did an intensive CBT program that usually costs upwards of $10,000 for absolutely nothing because I agreed to let my sessions be part of a research study. So in exchange for me being Patient 123 (or whatever it was) in a study report, I got the best therapy available for a whopping $0. And actually, they reimbursed me for travel!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit