Need Help From British Football Fans

by XJW4EVR 37 Replies latest social physical

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have closely followed the Premier League for the last 13 matchdays, and I am getting ready to pick a team that I will not only follow this year but for the foreseeable future. I am not interested in Chelsea, Manchester U., Manchester City or Arsenal. All four remind me of teams I loathe in American sports (Cowboys, Yankees, Celtics). I am, however, open to fans of these sides making a case for them. So far I am leaning towards picking one of the following: Bolton Wanderers, Everton, Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United, and Liverpool. All five, with the exception of Liverpool, have impressed me with their form. Liverpool fans, however, sing one of my favorite songs, and that is always a good thing in my book.

So any thoughts?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Manchester people are the best...Utd is the team! The genuine fans here feel really privileged to be in the city with a team like this. I've supported them since the Busby babes aircrash in 58....although I was only very young and didnt live here then. The ground is magical...'The theatre of dreams' ... Liverpool and Everton are full of scousers..lol...I wouldnt go near any Southerners like Spurs...if you fancy the Midlands go for Birmingham City not Villa....Newcastle would be a good alternative but you should support Utd ...up the Reds!!!!

Just my opinion....lol...

Loz x

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have given considerable thought to Man U., however, they remind me of the New York Yankees baseball team. In other words a team so awash in money that they can buy anyone from anywhere. I am not so naive, however, to realize that this is the state of modern sports. Aside from that, do you think Rooney will be gone either in January or in the summer transfer window?

• nelly136
    nelly136

i cant stand football but if you fancy something with a ring to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHN2FaiTy0&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accrington_Stanley_F.C.

The club was mentioned in a British advert for milk, in the 1980s, which briefly brought the club to the attention of the general public. [ 2 ] [ 5 ] The advertisement featured two young boys in Liverpool replica shirts and made reference to Accrington Stanley's obscurity in comparison to the former club's success at the time.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Not a big football fan, but isn't Real Madrid really good?

Rub a Dub

• The Finger
    The Finger

I only watch England games. But my son is a Liverpool supporter. My family brothers ect. are Tottenham and Arsenal.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I'm an Arsenal fan, until my hometown team make the premiership, which could be in about a year or two given the cash being pumped in. From your list, I'd pick Newcastle. Liverpool are gonna be up there with the big boys soon enough, and they are like your list of loathed american teams. I say Newcastle because they have a passion in their city for football like no other place I've known. They'd miss their wife's funeral up there if newcastle were playing. The fans are always good humoured, and get behind their team even when the sh*t hits the fan. they've always been a nearly team, and with a bit of luck they could be near the top and start doing better and in the cups. The next team I'd go for after Newcastle is Tottenham, simply because at this minute, they seem to have gotten their act together. The rest are just so unglamorous, and destined for mid-table obscurity.

You could follow Arsenal. They aren't a big-money club, and have a strict wage structure with no superstars like all the teams with sugar-daddies. Plus, they play some nice passing football.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Rub a Dub, Real Madrid are very good. Being a total noob to football I want to focus on one international league.

Oldlight, I have seen two or three Arsenal matches, and I do like their style, but for some reason Arsene Wenger just rubs me the wrong way. Yes, Liverpool is a "big" club. My interest in Liverpool is based on the new ownership they have. I am interested in seeing how their style of "money ball" (which was very successful against the hated New York Yankees) will work out in English football.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

It is a collossal task to get a team into the top four. The current manager Roy Hodgkins is a bit of a journeyman, and I believe will be sacked around Christmas. Liverpool will have to spend big time to build the team around Torres and Gerrard. There is way too much expectation from the fans, which has always been a millstone for past managers. Follow Liverpool and you will get to know the meaning of the word frustration! Liverpool have had heartache for 20 years. They really crave the Premier League title. It will be interesting who they appoint. The job seems to be a bit of a poisoned chalice!

Arsene Wenger's not so bad. He's a bit of a purist, and likes to see the passing game from his team. He does make some disparaging remarks about other teams who like to kick his team around the field. Still, he's got a point, every season somebody breaks one of his players' legs! (real bad breaks where their legs are bent at a right angle!)

Good choice for the EPL. Best league in the world, for now.....

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Newcastle Utd are a great team with a loyal fan base. If you are looking for a London club then personally I would go West Ham Utd. Ok, they are near bottom at the mo but there is a real history of passion. Big teams, lots of money - forget them. Money is their goal, not football. Search for the passion. Do a search, find the fan base forums. Prem football is the best in the world

Man Ure

Arse

Man C

= Mostly non english players

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit