Why can pioneers count time working on WT construction but not looking after orphans, widows, the hungry, the thirsty or the homeless?

by yesidid 22 Replies latest jw friends

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Well, I bet there's probably at least a couple of orphans and widows who have some $$$$ that they "look after" from time to time.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they count their time looking after real people, what's next? Counting time rigging up Christmas lights in your front yard?

• I quit!
    I quit!

I guess the WT allows some to fudge on their time when it is to their benefit. With their example no wonder witness find it easy to mess with their time cards.

As for spending time and money taking care of the homeless I guess the way the Watchtower looks at it is there is nothing in it for them so why do it. The homeless usually have a lot of mental problems but not the kind that would make them good JWs. And what is the point in helping out the poor? They wouldn't be able to give anything back to the Watchtower because they're....well poor. If the WT does some thing they want a return on their investment.

I remember working on a hall they were building with a friend of mine. When he told an elder from my hall he wouldn't be able to make it the next day because his wife was pregnant the elder ask him what was more important Jehovah's work or his family. At least the guy had the sense to spend the following day with his wife and not listen to that idiot.

Life is too short. You just had the wrong attitude to be a good JW. You cared about people not numbers. No wonder you are here.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Maybe their charity status should be revoked. Also reduce the tax breaks that they get.

Bangalore

• Incognito
    Incognito

Permitting 'Pioneers' to count time for these activities is a cost free method to get them to participate in giving their time to help build the WT real estate empire or to provide free labour at Bethel.

Since Pioneers must attain a set number of hours per month in the preaching work, how many Pioneers would participate in WT construction projects or at Bethel if they still needed to get their full quota of 'countable' time and in addition, earn some money to live on?

Allowing Pioneers to count their time, cost the WT absolutely nothing while benefitting both the Pioneer and the WT. The Pioneer may be involved in more enjoyable and rewarding activities than FS, while still banking countable hours to submit. The WT benefits in free labour over the long run since KHs, Assembly Halls and other projects will normally become assets of the WT eventually.

If regular 'Publishers' were permitted to count time participating in these projects, how many pubs would go searching for and participating in 'build projects' rather than go door to door? I believe the WT is well aware and know too well that few JWs would go d2d if they can get out of it.

Since so many JWs will gladly participate in these construction activities although they do not personally gain anything, what benefit to the WT would there be by allowing regular JW Publishers to count their time building KHs or other WT assets?

The WT is all about what benefits the WT. What would the WT gain in permitting Pioneers or Publishers to count their time looking after the needs of Widows, Orphans or anyone in need?

On occasions where individual JWs give of their personal time helping others (usually limited to other JWs or JW associates) following a disaster, the WT usually capitalizes and takes credit for the effort within any media coverage and within WT publications.

Edited to add: In regards to Bangalor's comment, since media coverage of individual JWs assisting in disaster relief efforts makes it appear that the the WT has arranged and is paying for these efforts, I'm sure that this publicity assists the WT to maintain their Tax Free Charitable status.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Look after but make sure you leave an Awake! and you can count the the time.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why can pioneers count time working on WT construction but not looking after orphans, widows, the hungry, the thirsty or the homeless?

Jehobot's Witnoidism does not give a rats ass about humanity in general outside of the bOrg. If someone does not swallow their lies and join, well, they are bird food, and good riddance. Human beings are merely targets for assimilation, and nothing more.

BTS

• yesidid
    yesidid

I enjoyed reading all your replies. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

I had a little giggle when Wasanelder wrote "They just might feel the real satisfaction of helping someone in need."

Will reply to more later.

y

• moshe
    moshe

The WT knows that JWs would abandon peddling their literature for more rewarding charitable work. They can't let that option even be considered.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I forgot about that one! gee another stupid JW rule.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit