Why can pioneers count time working on WT construction but not looking after orphans, widows, the hungry, the thirsty or the homeless?

by yesidid 22 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

A part from the scripture about love being the identifying mark of a Christian, it seems to me that James 1,27 and Matthew 25:34-40 quoted below are the Biblical priorities of a Christian.

Although “preaching” was not included in the three quotes I guess it would be included as “Christian” thing to do. It has been the thing most stressed by the Watchtower hierarchy and certain hours are required to be an elder etc.

Does it show something about their priorities that pioneers can count “time” hour for hour when working on Watchtower buildings? That’s not just those doing the hands on work, pioneers working in first aid can sit and talk to each other or read books and count their “time”.

Obviously building something for the WBTS is up there with the preaching work, but far more important than looking after orphans, widows, the hungry, the thirsty or the homeless?

J ames 1.27 The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.

Matt 25:34 “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, YOU who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for YOU from the founding of the world. 35 For I became hungry and YOU gave me something to eat; I got thirsty and YOU gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and YOU received me hospitably; 36 naked, and YOU clothed me. I fell sick and YOU looked after me. I was in prison and YOU came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty, and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked, and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to you?’ 40 And in reply the king will say to them, ‘Truly I say to YOU, To the extent that YOU did it to one of the least of these my brothers, YOU did it to me

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Looking after widows and orphans would set a dangerous precedent. Compassion for actual people might cause the "publisher" to realize that they are carrying out the Watchtower fantasy of compassion, handing out magazines full of "life's water." They just might feel the real satisfaction of helping someone in need.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yes, it makes you wonder...

... well, not anymore, now that we know what the WTS is all about.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Great question! Why indeed?

I think we all know why. And when those who are still "in" realize why... they are the better for awakening.

It is a numbers game. It is about control. Compassion has absolutely nothing to do with it (nor Christ, for that matter.)

• life is to short
    life is to short

That has always been a question I have asked of everyone. Why could we not count time helping the sick and older ones in the hall. The ones depressed and who needed just someone who cared.

I used to ask my husband when we pioneered why do we spend so much time, money, and put so much stress on ourselves to bring new ones in when there are so many in who need out time and caring.

I had a close friend in the hall and I never made many friends in the religion. But I had this one really close friend who's husband died of cancer, her husband had been an elder so she was well known in the hall. One of her grown daughters was a pioneer in a different hall. I was an elders wife at the the time.

So I was beyond shocked when I was dragged before two elders for being to close to this sister after awhile. I was like what????? I was told I was doing to much for her and not widening out enough. If I had the time for this sister like I did then I should use it differently. I told the elders no on else is helping her, why do you care? I was told I was just wrong. I said then fine you invite her to your home for dinner. MY GOD SHE just lost her husband in death and has a small son what do you want from her.

For my peace of mind I had to back away from helping her as the elders and their wives would not leave me alone and my elder husband would not stand behind me as he just wanted to keep peace also. I was on my own and I almost had a break down over it, I could not quit crying over it and no one gave a dam. It still breaks my heart that I walked away but I could not fight them.

You will know them by their love Jesus said.

LITS

• darthfader
    darthfader

They count their time on construction because every building effort is another "marketing ploy". They sheer number of "volunteers" makes the construction effort more of a media spectacle. Its an attempt to "impress the neighborhood", which is a good thing in their mind. Its a "showy display"....

Discreetly taking care of widows, orphans and the sick will impress very few people.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I never knew that pioneers could count their time when on WT building projects.

What about publishers, can they count their time? I know a few elders who seem to spend their entire life going round quick builds.

George

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

No, St George, that was another beef I had with the Borg and why I never volunteered for construction. It was hard enough for a regular guy with a family to get enough hours to keep the hounders off your back. Blow a couple weekends a month on construction projects and you end up with no time for your family at all. Pioneers could count something like 10 hours worth of time per day spent at the construction site (anyone recall the exact number?) but publishers got a big fat ZERO.

Same goes for the ones who teach foreign language classes. Teachers who are pioneers get something like 20 "free" hours per month as prep time for teaching the class. Teachers who are mere publishers get nothing but hounded about why their service hours are down. (Oh, and this isn't related to getting hours but "sisters" aren't allowed to teach languages; just "brothers.")

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You all know the real answer to this. "Counting time" is doing the dangerous mind-control cult's bidding. It doesn't line their pockets to help people.

Even in some of the answers here, I see the effect that WTS has had on us. "Counting time" becomes the all-important thing to a JW. After freeing ourselves, IMHO we should not be wondering why we couldn't count time doing good deeds when pioneers were credited for WT constructions. We know what their real reasons are, so we should be clear that "counting time" was part of the dangerous mind-control and we should be declaring that WTS interferes with truly good deeds by placing a heavy burden on the members to do "their" bidding.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Everybody doesn't know that, though, OTWO. That's why these discussions are useful. They remind us who already know how the cult mind control works and they stand here for others who are still learning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit