I'm not that important to Jehovah? Well, damn. Now I see the WBTS stance.

by easyreader1970 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Ohhhhh, that explains a lot. When I saw some of your posts for the first time, I thought it said, "God is a Friend."

I had you pegged as a Christian and some of your recent posts had me scratching my head.

Sorry to hijack the thread... carry on!

• Scully
    Scully

I thought it said, "God is a Friend."

I had you pegged as a Christian

LOL indeed. I guess "imaginary friend"?? lol

• booby
    booby

The scripture used by tec I realize is as so many scriptures somewhat loaded. But I recently have had the notion that if taken on face value it can be somewhat of a let down. If you take some time to observe sparrows or others of our feathered friends, is that scripture really comfortling. Birds of this variety (small birds that are not of the raptor variety) must be constantly vigilant. If you observe a small bird you will see that they are always aware of danger. If eating they take a few pecks and look up, a few pecks and look up. They give the appearance of being constantly aware of danger. And rightly so, because even with that constant concern many end up as food for others. So much for the endearment of that scripture.

• tec
    tec

So I can do my best to be a good person and show love and care for my neighbor, volunteer to help needy kids, invest my life in finding a cure for cancer, build a shelter for the homeless, etc.etc... but if I don't believe in the god of the bible and worship him accordingly, I get the death sentence? (Or everlasting torment, depending on the doctrine in which you subscribe.)

I don't believe you would get either of those, SBC, whether either of those choices were correct or not. You would then be a 'gentile' who has the law written naturally on his heart. Perhaps one of those referred to as a sheep, when Jesus comes to separate the sheep from the goats - or as being one who did not realize he was being kind to some of those who belong to Christ.

Tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

You know I think if you'd written the bible, Tammy, there would be a lot more believers.

Oh and, unrelated, I don't want anyone to think I'm a saint. I just meant hypothetically if I did those things I listed....

• tec
    tec

SBC, don't go thinking I'm a saint either :)

I never said anything that isn't already written for everyone to see. I just have faith, love and trust in Christ - and I think those, and He, help me to see (understand).

Tammy

• eric356
    eric356

Christianity (and the WT version of it in particular) plays a love / hate game with believers. It's a dynamic relationship that allows the religion to fit with people's changing mood. If you're feeling bad, remember God loves you. If you're feeling good, maybe a little prideful, remember that you are a dirty sinner who's only alive because God is tolerating it. This paradoxical relationship is widespread, as already pointed out in this thread:

God wants worship from humans / humans are unimportant, dust on the scales

God is all merciful / God is wrathful, and will not withhold justice

God said humans were good / God has to kill nearly all of them with a flood

God wants everyone to be saved / The way leading off into destruction is wide

Humans are made in God's image / Humans are sinful and depraved

God give underserved kindness / Really, you don't deserve any kindness, sinner

This goes on and on.

• TMS
    TMS

God is sometimes referred to as a father. Does a normal, balanced father insist on worship from his children? Or is he content when his children lead productive, meaningful lives and are happy? Occasionally, religious or political despots have acted Jehovah-like causing much suffering.

Of course, if a human father sat idly by watching his children die in a tsunami wave, many courts would consider this akin to child endangerment or gross negligence. If a human father testified that he allowed his children to suffer because he was protecting his own name and reputation he would certainly not be respected as a father.

Additionally, a self-confident, omnipotent, omnicient being does not need to be told how great he is. If he is a creator, the success, beauty, power, intelligence and well-being of his creation proves it.

tms

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

That's HIS interpretation.

JDW

• designs
    designs

eric,TMS-

Its a wonder we got out with our cerebellum's intact

Share this

Google+
Pinterest