A Possible Reason Why Some Want To Be Jehovah's Witnesses

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Steve Hassan says that people don't JOIN cults. Rather, they're RECRUITED into them.

If WT can convince you that God is about to destroy 99% of the men, women and children on the planet -- then you're ready to BUY the cure for the "problem".

Bottom line: Fear.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Part of the reason I was a JW was because I thought the unmarried women were well educated and willing to marry. The first one is true, but the second is not. No passion, just religious doctrine both in their heads and hearts. They think only of pioneering and not having children these days. My marriage prospects were rejected by sisters who were not the most beautiful women I could have had, neither were they the most intelligent, not the richest. But because they were "spiritual", they were expecting some Bethelite, elder or God knows what type of BORG big-fish. In some part I dunked in the lake to get myself some p...sy!

• dysfunction
    dysfunction

I think that some people need that security and comfort that being in an organization can bring... and they need someone to tell them what to do and micromanage their life.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Quite right Min....The feeling that you are somebody special ...have knowledge of things that other people do not know - I can still remember that buzz. Who cares about politics of this world when you can discuss the secrets of the Universe?

As you can tell, I was a gullible youth with ideas above myself...

• VIII
    VIII

What leavingwt said. X2

They are recruited.

It is still a destructive C-U-L-T

• Joshinaz
    Joshinaz

Whatever the reason is it's all psycological. Weather its HOPE for seeing their dead loved ones again, or not having pain anymore, or just to have an organization protect them from the law when they molest their children. People look at just the reward of the paradise as like a life time retirement where their worries of today are gone forever.

• minimus
    minimus

Also, people are generally lazy. It's too much effort to THINK and research a whole religion. It's easier to just stay the course.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

i think you will find that the majority of jw's know its just a religion...your opinions are quite right as are others stated here. for me as soon as i realised it was just another religion i was gone, not for me doing a few hours in the service giving a talk from the platform. all religion can be infiltrated by sinister people, but the majority are harmless....personally i think all religions should come with a goverment health warning.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I was interested at first because I had my eye on a couple of girls that were JW's. I'm not so sure now that was a good reason to get involved, ha.

Outaservice

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I only kept a foot in the door so that WT god wouldn't kill my family, but he 'has excrement and has to go to the privy.' in 1975 and I lost interest.

My Dad used fear of his killer god to keep me in line. I never had any love for his murderous gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit