A Possible Reason Why Some Want To Be Jehovah's Witnesses

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A possible reason why some Want to be Jehovah`s Witness`s..

They fell off the swing and Banged their Head too many times..

"My head Hurts!..I wanna be a Jehovah`s Witness!"..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

Biggest reason: life forever on a paradise earth in perfect health with the hope of seeing dead loved ones and friends resurrected to live there with them.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Some think it's the truth, and it sounds like the truth if you don't know better. Others like the ability it gives to ruin other people's lives for no good reason.

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I would've agreed with you 25 years ago. I'm not so sure now.

Outlaw, that was funny!

Wiz, interesting perspective.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Blondie, I would've agreed with you 25 years ago. I'm not so sure now.

I am not so sure either - I think there are currently many JWs who are just there for social-club-church reasons and who either do not really believe in that earthly paradise or who think it is such a vague promise that they will never see it before they grow old and die in this world.

EDIT to add: In that sense, many of these witnesses do not believe strongly in the paradise earth any more than a lot of other christian churches believe very strongly in hellfire or heaven - they are just going along with the flow in the here and now. The afterlife is just sort of a symbolic or vague concept to them.

• minimus
    minimus

James, my thoughts, exactly.Two brilliant minds, My God!

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think most people want to believe that there is some sort of purpose to life and the seems to have it all figured out as long as you don't think about it too much and just go along with what they tell you to believe.

Another reason I think is that it is an organization where you can advance and be seen as important without having an education or really knowing anything. In the Watchtower you advance by being loyal to the organization. You can be seen as an important person by merely by spending 75 hrs (or whatever it is) going door to door passing out magazine.

• sabastious
    sabastious

As a Witness I got to say "I know the answer to ALL of lifes big questions."

That's a pretty good reason to be a Witness.

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Another reason I think is that it is an organization where you can advance and be seen as important without having an education or really knowing anything. In the Watchtower you advance by being loyal to the organization. You can be seen as an important person by merely by spending 75 hrs (or whatever it is) going door to door passing out magazine.

Another strong reason - in a small enough pond, they can be big fish (if they are totally loyal). The watchtower message "be no part of the world", "avoid higher education", "avoid trying to achieve material success in a good career" - all tend to remove the normal marks of success for ordinary people and even reward people for essentially dropping out of society and living like common slaves to the society.

Maybe some people are more comfortable doing that than actually having to compete in the big, mean, real world.

• serein
    serein

i was a wit cos i wanted to live in paradise which was the bigest pull,also i beleive in a god and want to do right by him,now i dont know what im doing what path im on or were its gona take me or end ,but i didnt feel special as a wit i felt i wasnt good enough all the time,and never felt loved or anything,it was borring hard work and faulse freinds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit