When God breaks his own laws

by Nickolas 111 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

If one assumes that God made the universe it follows that He made it according to a very complex set of physical laws that determine how things work. The quest to identify and understand those physical laws is at the very forefront of science and great strides have been made over the past few centuries, in particular during the last century. We have known for only a few centuries that the earth rotates on its axis and orbits around the sun along with a number of other planets, more recently that the solar system is located in a radial arm of a spiral galaxy swirling around some enormous black hole. Beyond that, who knows? But we know for certain that there is a tremendous amount of energy and irreversibility involved in the universal clockwork. Yet the Bible says that God has intervened at times in that clockwork. The best biblical example of God breaking his own laws, that I can think of, is reported in Joshua 10:13 when the sun stood still in the sky for an entire day. This was, of course, written in the Bronze age when all believed that the earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolved around it. It was plausible to all that the sun might just stop rotating around the earth if God wanted it to. For that to happen today, the earth would need to stop rotating, which is a pretty big deal. At the equator the earth is rotating at a speed of 1,670 kmph, or 1,070 mph. Movement of the sun's position in the sky is very noticeable to the eye every 15 minutes or so, at least. To stop the rotation of the earth from 1,670 kmph to zero would rip the earth apart and throw the entire solar system into imbalance. Quite a feat.

Any others?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thow shalt not kill. Then, he starts killing. You'ld think a god w infinite time, infinite power, infinite love and infinite knowledge/wisdom would be able to find better ways of dealing.

S

• baltar447
    baltar447

Simple explanation. This was a localized event caused by the tachyon field coming from a quantum singularity to distort the time around the battle. I knew all that scifi knowledge would come in handy!

• tec
    tec

I don't know about the one where the sun stood still... but Jesus walked on water. Jesus commanded a storm to stop. Healed illness, cured blindness and deafness. Physically rose from the dead.

Truthfully, I don't think it is a matter of God breaking the physical laws that he created, but rather a matter of us not understanding the full nature of those laws that he created.

Tammy

• Scully
    Scully

Yeah, it has bugged me for a long time that Jehovah forbade adultery, and then he goes and makes Mary pregnant with Jesus while she was betrothed to Joseph. According to his own law, he should have been stoned to death for defiling a betrothed virgin girl.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Ah, but the point of Joshua 10:13 is that there would be earth shattering consquences if it really happened. All that other stuff you guys posted is just standard sideshow stuff. (Except for Baltar's contribution, that is, which is the closest to reality).

• sir82
    sir82

I think the official JW explanation for Johua 10:13 is that Jehovah made a big glowing ball in the sky that looked like the sun for "about a day". Or made up a really big mirror. Or something.

From the "perspective of the warriors", it merely looked like the sun stood still. A magician's illusion, if you will.

I know, I know....it's all bollocks. But the sheep swallow it down without a thought.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    A magician's illusion, if you will.

So Jehovah is all smoke and mirrors? I like it.

Here's the Annual Meeting preparations:

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

God is NOT subject to the laws of science that we have in our universe, since he is "oustide" those very laws.

Of course those "Laws" in of themselves were "created" by Man and there is no reason to believe that they can't be "suspended".

Just because ancient man thought they saw something, doesn't mean THAT something was WHAT they saw.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Jehovah breaks all his moral laws all the time. He tells us that, if we agree to do something and it turns out to be bad for us, we should not welsh on it. Yet, he promises people fulfillment all the time, and then welshes on it without flinching, just because he can't sacrifice the damn kick of seeing people suffer when they could have been treated better and became assets to society.

I believe Jehovah has broken every single one of the Ten Commandments on multiple occasions, without flinching--possibly with the exception of idolarty (because that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag doesn't view anyone as more important than his all-corrupt self).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit