My Story

by kp138 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I bid you welcome, kp138.

So, you don't want to be labelled an apostate? Who does? It's a cruel and demeaning buzzword the fearful, ignorant and/or power hungry assholes hang upon those who can't help but think for themselves. I personally don't buy into it. It's so tragic that this sorry excuse for a religion drove your father to destitution, madness and suicide. Sadly your family is far from alone in this. Please know that there are many who sympathize with you in this, many who know your pain. Stick around...

Take care,

V665

• cheerios
    cheerios

thank you for sharing kp and welcome :) i know i dont post that much but i've been lurking around this site for many years. i can promise you that you will find comfort here. apostate does not mean what you think it means.

• bohm
    bohm

Welcome! Im sorry for your loss. You dad sounds like a good person who ended up in an impossible situation.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome aboard kp138!

Thanks for sharing your story.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello KP and Welcome to the gang here. So sad to hear about your dad - the WTBS have so much to answer for.

Loz x

• bez
    bez

Hi KP, so sorry about your story... :( you will find support here

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Hi KP138,

I recall the mental preparation for torture that we had to do. We were told to learn scriptures so we could recite them if we were in prison for a long time without access to the bible. We were told we might be tortured to give up the addresses of elders or other JW's. These were panic inducing fear tactics.

The more I have read on this site the more I understand why I believed what I did, why I reacted to certain things the way I did and why I felt certain things such as guilt. Simple techniques were used by the WTS in it's publications, at meetings and which were reinforced by our parents. It is a cult that demands lifelong obedience and prevents your exit.

Now I understand so many of the teachings are not true, are a sham and prophecies will not happen, the fear from the WTS diminishes. Fear of their message of doom, fear of words like apostate. It takes time though.

I am very sorry you have lost your father. That he fell foul of this ridiculous belief system and that you have been so affected by your upbringing.

College is a really positive move. You have the benefit of recognising what mistakes your parents made and are already taking a different course.

Welcome

mmxiv

• St George of England
    St George of England

Now that I'm in my early thirties I feel like I have catching up to do. I started going back to college part time and just try to move forward with my life.

Thank you for posting your story.

I am delighted to read that you are going to college and thus get a proper education. Like you I was raised as a JW with the idea that Armageddon was due any day. When I got married I decided to return to University and get a real education that would allow me to earn a reasonable salary and prepare for old age.

I am now retired, in my mid 60's, reasonably financially secure and remind myself every day what a great move it was getting an education.

Armageddon isn't coming any time soon, but old age will here before you know it!

George

• zoiks
    zoiks

Thank you for sharing your story, kp138.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What a powerful story. Your dad had his doubts, he was so sure Armageddon would come and he would never have to worry about retirement. Please find the strength and understanding you need, start here on this forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit