Why did we all take the NWT at face value?

by sabastious 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious

Why didn't we ever care about checking whether or not the NWT was "the most reliable Bible on the planet." Such an audacious claim and it didn't spark much investigations.

(not saying no one did check it, just seems the vast majority never did, at least not for a long time).

So here we all were, with this unverified and propietary Bible using it as the Word of God to teach about the meaning of life?

-Sab

• Chalam
    Chalam

If one repeats a phrase often enough, one can soon deceive others, even oneself.

""the most reliable Bible on the planet.""

Blessings,

Stephen

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Valid question. I didn't really know the Bible until I learned the NWT. I was poisoned enough by the sly tactics that "Jehovah, the name has been removed from other Bibles." When a major doctrine of the JW's was easy to get from the NWT, I sometimes read another version and they just seemed awkward to understand.

I guess I am saying the deception was so complete. Knowing nothing of anything, say Denmark, and having everything you start to learn about Denmark coming from a neighbor who swears he knows all about Denmark, I might believe him thoroughly if my neighbor was a decent fellow to me. If I never found out that his sister was killed in Denmark, I would never know his view was compromised.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Jehovah, the name has been removed from other Bibles.

There it is. You have solved this riddle for me good sir!

The NAME.

No mainstream Bible translations used YHWH in the New Testament! Therefore if you were convinced that it was taken out of the NT then the NWT would be the "correct Bible"

Bam, no need to check the rest. They got the most important one right.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

As a side point there seems to be the motive for adding it to the NT in the first place.

"Take over the Bible. Take over the world."

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If the WT said it, I believed it. They had me totally duped and controlled.

It's amazing that I ever woke up. <------ Holy Spirit?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It's amazing that I ever woke up. <------ Holy Spirit?

Nope you got one of those Human Minds.

No one gives them enough credit I always say!

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Except the NWT didn't add YHWH to the New Testament OR the Old. Instead, they added the fake name, "Jehovah" in order to keep following "traditions of men as doctrines."

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was stuck in the tower it was before the NWT even came out back in the 50's, we used to use the American

standard bible back then if I remember correctly as an 8 year old. I escaped the tower before the internet.

If you went to a book store they usually only had a small shelf on cults and religions or anything about the

bible that wasnt main stream.

Still I escaped in 83

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Why? Because we were ALL under 'Mind Control' . . .

3Mozzies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit