Why did we all take the NWT at face value?

by sabastious 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

I never used the NWT during my study. The two women who studied with me told me not to worry, they said the same thing, so I could use my own (NIV) to verify this.

Perhaps it gave me a bit of an edge.

I always found the NWT to be clunky and confusing. The language just didn't seem to flow.

Tammy

• Ding
    Ding

Once you accept the premise that the WTBTS is "God's organization," "Jehovah's sole channel of communication," the "faithful and discreet slave," you believe anything they tell you, including the fact that you are rebelling against Jehovah if you question them at all.

Any contrary information is labeled as satanic deception, apostate literature, and the like.

It truly is a miracle that anyone who is sucked in escapes at all.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I always found the NWT to be clunky and confusing. The language just didn't seem to flow.

That is the way it is designed. The WT don't want one's understanding to come from the bible but rather their own publications.

Blessings,

Stephen

• factfinder
    factfinder

Strange how we all just accepted what we were taught. It was God's organization so everything must be true. And the NWT is the only one with Jehovah's name in all 7,000 places.

How did I ever realize it is not the truth?

I think once you became convinced the WT was God's one channel of communication you just "knew" everything they said was the truth and the NWT was never questioned.. I guess I'm simplifying it a lot but I'm sure most of you also felt the same way, right?

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thanks Ding! That's what I was thinking too!

• unshackled
    unshackled

A child will accept the reality he is presented with. Since I was indoctrinated (brainwashed) from birth I didn't really have a choice.

What's that saying..."most people put more thought into their choice of vehicle than their choice of religion". Most people are simply born into it and accept what their parents tell them. My father came from a broken home and wasn't really raised a JW. So I often spend time wondering how the heck this guy got messed up in this religion, why he chose it without question.

If someone walked up to you on the street and said "I can fly". Would you simply believe him without any further proof other than his word? Same with the Watchtower...."we're god's true religion on earth and we speak for him". Wouldn't you want to independently check that out? It's like going to a Ford dealer asking about whether you should buy Chevrolet.

• Ding
    Ding

I think we can all understand why born-ins believe it's God's organization.

That's all they ever hear from parents, elders, and friends.

But what about people who are converted later in life?

Why is it so easy for them to get convinced the WTS speaks for God and fall for the guilt and fear system?

Thoughts?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hi ding,

where the fault lies with me is not really knowing what I should have known about the Bible

and when they offered me a Bible study It all started from there.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    Except the NWT didn't add YHWH to the New Testament OR the Old. Instead, they added the fake name, "Jehovah"

Then Jesus is a fake name too. Any Bible that restores LORD to YHWH or Yahweh and doesn't follow suit with all other names based on JHVH is dishonest.

How can one insist that Yahweh is more accurate and ridicule the NWT for using Jehovah and not ridicule using the spelling Jesus instead of Yeshua?

• In
    In

Reading it now alongside other translations and occasionally with the greek, some NWT passages are translated with odd wording that makes the meaning less than clear, especially in the NT and in passages where it seems to speak to trinity, hellfire, or immortal soul.

Like good dubs, though, when we ran into that, we just consulted the WT for clarification, and voila! Jehovah's spirit guided us through the odd parts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit