If Jehovah God Chose Russell & The Bible Students Why Did He Give Them So Much Inaccurate Information?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• booby
    booby

They used to recommend going back about ten years when building a theocratic library. Now I think they would recommend perhaps one year. And the recommendation might not work so well.

• minimus
    minimus

The less they put in writing, the better off they would be. They need to copywrite everything!

• booby
    booby

Printing and Publishing, or Publishing and Printing or whatever is their double edged sword. They had to do it to bring in the cash but the more they did it the more they made asses of themselves.

• pat1060
    pat1060

I was told many years ago when I wondered that same question that we couldn't handle all the information in the bible at one time.So Jehovah just let them know a little at a time,there hearts were looking for truth..How would you explain it....

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

A have a more simple question: What evidence is there that Jehovah ever gave WT any information at all?

• sabastious
    sabastious

Answer: he didn't give it to them, they made it up.

This answer works for arguments for and against the Witnesses, btw.

-Sab

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

ElderPatrol makes an interesting point, and in some ways a valid one - having the wrong opinion or interpretation of something might not necessarily disqualify you from being God-appointed. And yet, he shows the strange convergence of ideas at the heart of the WT Society's authority.

In the example he/she quotes, the "saying" went out, based on something Jesus had said. In other words, there was an interpretation of a statement made by Jesus, that became a belief. When John penned his statement saying that Jesus hadn't actually said that, knowing that he would indeed pop his clogs, the early Christians would be faced with the issue - how much of what is said is from God, and how much is interpretation, to be jealously defended?

And isn't that the crux of the matter - the Watchtower Society claims that what is said by them, each interpretation, is indeed from God......unless it doesn't happen, in which case, it was something that they misinterpreted. Which seems suspiciously convienient, until you realise that actually in Deuternomy (I think!) essentially the same standard regarding prophecy is applied, albeit with some very important, WT-ignored, caveats!

It seems to me that the idea of accurate/inaccurate information is somewhat of a dead end - whether the WTS said aluminium is dangerous or not, that cream seperators and bicycles are some of the wonders proving Christ's presence, and that Job prophesied about locomotives proving we are in the last days, and so on and so forth, no matter how ridiculous, are actually immaterial.

The fact is, any fool can say that God has chosen him. There are a number of people who used to claim that where I used to live - most of them are now locked up in a place where they cannot shower us in spit, as they roam the streets spouting their deep wisdom. The issue is - do they have any proof of the claim?

Luke, somewhat politically, states Peter had miracles, as did Paul, attested to by eyewitnesses. It proved their authority. The WT, in their effort to replace the Vatican, claims the events of 1914-1919, in respect to the organisation, prove that God has chosen them. So it is an examination of those claims and those events that alone can prove or disprove their claim - and in that, the WT has a very.very shaky foundation.

This whole thing reminds me of the Therevada Buddhists vs the Mahayana Buddhists. The Buddha died - after stating that "I have not kept a closed fist", implying what he had taught them was all that was needed, and there were no new teachings to be had. Later, a new group of Buddhists arose, claiming that the Buddha knew the limitations of his-then disciples, and decided to keep it simple, teaching them only what they could take at the time. Apparently, these Mahayana Buddhists state that the Buddha knew that later, a group of more "enlightened" Buddhists would turn up (themselves, of course) , who would be able to discern and originate "greater truths". This group state that Therevada Buddhists, who do not recognise thier authority and stick to the original Buddhist teachings, are a figure of fun. Sound familiar?

PP

• debator
    debator

Unbilbical argument.

Being Chosen by Jehovah never made imperfect men perfect or without mistakes. Which they continued to do despite being chosen.

Jehovah has always allowed humans a certain autonomy with regards to freewill and occasionally we go to far and make mistakes. The bible is there to straighten out these mistakes that will happen.

2 Timothy 3:16
    All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

If God could just reach and zap us into getting everything right we would not need the bible.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Being Chosen by Jehovah never made imperfect men perfect or without mistakes. Which they continued to do despite being chosen.

What happened to Moses when he gave the Israelites the wrong information?

-Sab

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Lol, Debator,

how on earth can you use the phrase "unbiblical debate", and then take 2 Timothy out of context?! Superb - sir, I applaud your comedic sense

PP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit