My Very First Thread Criticizing the WTS....................

by Judge Dread 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I had it drilled into my head that the bookstudy group was our last link to the brothers when Armageddon came.

I was told that was how we would be given information when our meetings were banned.

I was told that's how we got to love each other, truly love each other.

I, too, was shaken when they eliminated this meeting.....palmtree

Any old school JW would be shocked by this..

The Book Study was "The" most important meeting you could go to..

If you were going to survive armageddon,you had to be at that meeting..Period..

And..It was cancelled?..

LOL!!..

Jehovah`s Witness beliefs have an Expiration Date..

After a while they go bad and you have to get rid of them..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

I, too, was shocked and found it quite strange hearing that the book study night were canceled. Talk about taking away one of the only "enjoyable" meetings out of the whole batch. I liked the smaller gatherings of book study night; they weren't so "threatening" to me like the bigger, more "stern" congrational meetings.

Outlaw - you bring up a good point. Indeed - any old school JW would be shocked by this. My Dad is still deeply entrenched and ensnared by this cult and has been for 42 years. Being that he and I don't talk it for reason of my DF'd status, I don't know how he feels. I would like to think that he was indeed shaken by this, he had to feel SOMETHING (unless he truly is that "shut off")...but he's still in. I don't know what it will take, if anything, for him to ever leave. But, he's 72, stubborn, set in his ways (perhaps he doesn't want to admit after all this time he's wrong and that his strict adherence to the JW religion has indeed destroyed his family?)...and I don't think he ever will. I can only hope that the seeds of doubt were planted by a change like that. Well, whatever way you look at it -- it's a damn cryin' shame.

That and elimination of congration picnics - what the heck. Fear and isolation tactics - the WTBTS uses that to keep JWs from the "worldlies"...and from each other.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I understand DD. There used to be some highlights to the Theocratic year - remeber when you could go out and have fun after assembly sessions -even that has been removed.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

We used to have 3 or 4 come to the Book Study that simply would not come to the kingdumb hall. Some folks with a more fragile nature take a long time to progress from attending the book study to regular meetings. A step backward by the GB in my opinion.

It's all good.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Totally agree - there is no fun left in this organisation.

At least at the old 'book study' there was the chance for a cup of tea and a cake and a good chin wag. Now everything is so structured and controlled. Special Assembly days have no atmosphere compared to the days when we had 3 day circuit assemblies with a cooked lunch, and food prepared on site. It was great fun preparing the food, washing up, etc, I was able to miss most of the actual sessions.

Nearly every social activity is frowned on now. Again, I remember organising concerts where we used to have everything from stand-up comicals to 'rock' groups and sisters singing opera. I am sure that they were really cheesy and amateurish but great fun!

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Just a quick shout out to the Boys in NY. Hi GUYS!!!

Can't wait to see you in Hell!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Are you kidding?! I absolutely loved it when they eliminated the bookstudy meeting!!! That meeting was a pure nuisance!

I'm still keeping hope alive that they'll do away with one of the assemblies, hopefully the 2-day circuit one; just keep the 1-day special day and lessen the district assembly by one day to be just Saturday and Sunday. As I get older, I get tired of hearing the same old thing over, and over, and over.....

It's a pipe dream, I know. Then again, who would've thought back in the day that they'd cut the bookstudy? So, it might actually happen!

Keeping hope alive!!!

DY

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I can see them cutting the DC to 2 days, and drop a day off the CA. Keeping the one day SAD too.

Any cutbacks would be awesome, not that I go anymore...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Are you kidding?! I absolutely loved it when they eliminated the bookstudy meeting!!!
    That meeting was a pure nuisance!.....DY

Nuisance or not..

The Book Study was of Huge Significance for Decades..

Obviously it`s Importance in Watchtower World,is lost on you..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The bookstudy used to be my favorite meeting. It was only an hour, it wasn't usually as boring, it was less formal. Due to health problems, I sometimes couldn't do the school and service meeting, but I could usually manage the book study. And the ban on congregation picnics is truly sad. My husband was DF'd so that meant I couln't invite anyone over, and so rarely got invited anywhere either. Those picnics were sometimes my only association outside the hall. If you are on the fringes, like I was, you basically have no social life. This religion just keeps getting more controlling and rigid and sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit