My Very First Thread Criticizing the WTS....................

by Judge Dread 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

A couple of posts by hamsterbait motivated me to post this.

The elimination of the book study: It was the only place where those who were shy, or anxious, about commenting would comment. It was small, intimate and we had a lot of fun. Remember the "F" word? Fun?

The elimination of congregation sponsored activities: We used to have congregation picnics, softball and volleyball games. We would all get together when someone was leaving the congregation, or make an excuse for a gathering for whatever reason. We had a blast and got closer.

The WTS wants their members to refrain from "worldly association", but will not agree to any type of gathering other than a "book study sized" group. A "book study sized" group whose "book study" has been eliminated.

I no longer get depressed, but that is just SAD.

I hope you are monitoring this thread, New York.

I know Jehovah is monitoring everything and he is holding YOU responsible for all the pain you have caused in the lives of people who simply want to live their lives worshiping Him, NOT WORSHIPPING YOU.

Rules, rules, rules.

You and your petty little man made rules.

You should be ashamed.

JWD

• Think About It
    Think About It
    The elimination of congregation sponsored activities: We used to have congregation picnics, softball and volleyball games. We would all get together when someone was leaving the congregation, or make an excuse for a gathering for whatever reason. We had a blast and got closer.

Only a stupid cult run governed by old men would take the fun out of fellowship.

Think About It

• compound complex
    compound complex

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.

RWE

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Weren't we supposed to be studying the Bible....why was it called Book Study ? Answer: Because we were studing a book that happened to quote a few scriptures to back up their suppositions.

Wasn't the admonition "Do not be forsaking the gathering of yourselves together, but do it all the more so as you behold the day drawing near" if that is so and the end is nearer than ever, why eliminate one of the gatherings ?

Just another inconsistency we weren't supposed to notice I guess.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Yup, well said. They want JWs to be 'no part of the world' yet will not allow or frown upon JW get togethers larger than 10 people. I once asked last year how come we don't have congregation get togethers anymore and an elder told me that it is looked down upon from the society. I asked why, he said, the society wants to make sure that no wrongdoing goes on at such outings and that everyone stays above reproach. I said, wow, that sucks, now what are we supposed to do?

Seriously GB, Nazi Germany was a type of government you DO NOT want to imitate.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I had it drilled into my head that the bookstudy group was our last link to the brothers when Armageddon came. I was told that was how we would be given information when our meetings were banned. I was told that's how we got to love each other, truly love each other.

I, too, was shaken when they eliminated this meeting.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    I asked why, he said, the society wants to make sure that no wrongdoing goes on at such outings and that everyone stays above reproach.

Yeah.

Treat everyone like a bunch of f***ing babies.

JDW

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

XYZ, Excellent point regarding Heb 10:24, 25. I never made that connection.

However, I always wondered why it was called a book study instead of a bible study too. In fact, the only bible study Witnesses have is with people they are trying to convert. There are no society organized "bible studies". There's WT study, Ministry School, and Congregation book study. No bible study.

• In
    In

mmm, yeah, I was pretty sad about the end of the book studies too

you know, at first there was no family study night.

it became a trend, I remember people talking in my hall that it probably meant we needed to up our personal study -- you know how witnesses like to sit around trying to figure out the secret motive behind borg dictates

and then it grew into this "family study night"

I don't think that was planned, but some folks decided it was a good idea

something else to push on us

I think book studies were cancelled because people had too much freedom to speak openly at them. It wasn't controlled enough.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

I remember them telling us:

"This will be the most important meeting during the Great Tribulation, as we wont have our other meetings"

Aaaaah now what will we do??? We're doomed!!!!

3Mozzies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit