Hypocrisy Within My Own Family

by Reborn2002 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Yesterday my brother (ever-loyal Witness baptized same day as me 10 years ago; who is married to a holier-than-thou regular pioneer and subsequently with her encouragement has since avoided me as much as possible since I DA myself) and his wife (see description above) came over to visit.

Well.. shooting the proverbial shit, we got to the topic of movies. Asking politely if he or his wife had seen Lord of the Rings.. she interjected that it was inappropriate because it suggested wizardry and spiritism, and would never see such filth.

Trying very hard to remain polite, my mom noticed the pause and said if they wanted to borrow any movies we have on tape to watch at home.

Sneaky as I am, while they flapped their gums with my parents I glanced in the bag to see what they borrowed.

They took:

-Tombstone (R rated)
    - Aliens (R rated)
    - Soul Food (R rated)

among others.

Now.. my brother being baptized I know for a fact is an AVID StarWars fan, and has every intention of seeing Episode II when it comes out. Now in StarWars, you have invisible mythical powers, spectres appearing after death, violent lightsaber fights... so whats the difference between that and LOTR?

As far as the movies they borrowed.. Tombstone and Alien are both filled with violence and R rated... WT no-no's.. so how do they justify that?

I didnt say anything to their face while they were here, I wanted to maintain peace and be able to spend some quality time with my 1 yr old nephew whom I rarely see as it is.

But its burning me to see the hypocrisy and since theyve told me Im destined for death at Armageddon for turning my back on Jah I just want to unload on em all the BS and point out their two-sidedness.

What do you guys think?

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Reborn2002-

Hello. You can only do what will make you feel what's best for you. Knowing me, I probably would have torn into them. But, if it meant that I couldn't see my little nephew again, I may have bit my tongue.
    Once, I mentioned to a sister (while out in Field Service) that I was very good at Skill Crane (you know, the machine where you dump in quarters and use the motorized arm to pick up stuffed animals?). The sister rebuked me and said that was just as bad as gambling, that it was a game of chance. We debated for a few moments. Then, she changed the subject and told me how good the movie 'Backdraft' was (it had recently come out and it was rated-R) and she recommended that I go see it. Of course, she got her butt rebuked by me!!! Her defense? "Oh, it was rated-R? I had no idea."

So many stupid people, so few comets! :o)

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

50 views and 1 reply eh?

Apparently Im not part of the "IN" crowd here.

Ive noticed that trend.

Specific people respond to specific people... I thought people would learn from leaving the Org to be a bit more comforting to others who were oppressed by it. I take the time and effort to encourage others or stand up for what I believe is right if someone posts about their life or current experiences, apparently most view me as not worth the same courtesy. To those I say in the words of MadApostate

FUCK YOU.

There is no one in particular this is addressed to, but I felt like venting my frustration.

Yes Im irritated today, my brothers bullshit has me beyond the level of reason. Supplement that with the fact I am enraged and horrified to have to know my 1 yr old nephew is not only going to have very limited time with me because I stood up for what I know to be reality, but he also is going to be indoctrinated from birth to believe in WTS propaganda.

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• DIM
    DIM
    50 views and 1 reply eh?
    Apparently Im not part of the "IN" crowd here.

Ive noticed that trend.

Specific people respond to specific people... I thought people would learn from leaving the Org to be a bit more comforting to others who were oppressed by it. I take the time and effort to encourage others or stand up for what I believe is right if someone posts about their life or current experiences, apparently most view me as not worth the same courtesy. To those I say in the words of MadApostate

FUCK YOU

get a grip, maybe people couldn't think of anything to say or haven't seen your post yet. Why should anybody respect you when you curse them out for not posting to your topic? I for one think that there has always been blatant hypocrisy w/ entertainment. in my neck of the woods, Lord of the Rings was OK, but Harry Potter was deemed demonic. I'm just outside of Philadelphia, PA.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Bit foamy around the gills there, Reborn? Deep breaths, old chap.

And deep breaths around the family too. Seriously. I well know that feeling of wanting to unload 14 tons of Watchtower shit on them all at once. Particularly when you see the common or garden everyday hypocrisy your average JW practices.

But will it achieve anything? Or will it have the effect of alienating them further? I know you'll have thought about that. Besides, the hypocrisy shows that they do in fact enjoy aspects of a normal worldly life. Maybe eventually that process will continue to the point where the WT hooks loosen up and allow them to see glimmers of reality.

Expatbrit

• out4good3
    out4good3

Don't sweat it dude. Nobody responds to most of my posts either.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Don't sweat it dude, nobody respondes to my posts either.

I suspect that there are a lot of JW lurkers around here still trapped in their own private hell.

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

It's luck of the draw with message boards... I’ve noticed that some threads that I start take off and run, while others just stagnate and do nothing.

There are also some people who are just skilled at started threads that catch on.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Reborn-you are in the Chicago vicinity....go get a good Italian Beef sandwich (with peppers) or Vienna Hot Dog. You will immediately feel better.

I understand also. I don't get much response to my posts. Lots of reads, no response. Perhaps its my anger that comes out sometimes at some of the JW issues I respond to. Or perhaps it is the stupid screen name I choose. Either way, don't sweat it.

I have not seen LOTR. However, I mentioned it to my mother and she said it and Harry Potter are full of demons, so she will not see them. I laughed. The Star Wars analogy is OK, though. She won't miss that one. They are hypocrites. So is my mother. Big time, on many issues.

Regarding your nephew, perhaps as he gets older you can get him alone. Whether it be a ball game or a trip to Wal-Mart. Anything to be apart of his life. Let him know you are not "satan's seed" as you might be called when you are not around.

I really do feel your hurt and frustration.

Everyone has a photographic memory; some just don't have film.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Reborn,

Ok already! I enjoy your posts!! Even though I've never responded to one, I still do. Honest. What else can I say to convince you? Hey my e-mail is open if you want a direct response from someone, I'll be glad to share it! This post was very interesting, and I'm sure everyone else on this thread agrees.

Can you now please withdraw the "fuck you"? Thanks. (BTW, I am separated from my 3-year old daughter... her mom was a JW, still thinks like one... So your agony is shared by others on the board...)

Out4good3, oh never mind. I was going to respond, but you blew it and double posted. I will never ever talk to you again! (Fake flame)

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit