Do You Truly Believe A Certain Politician Or Political Party WILL Bring About Real Change?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I never believed any one politician could completely fix every problem in this country, It's not possible. The problems we are facing didn't happen overnight and won't be fixed overnight, no matter who is elected. I don't think it's all completely hopeless either. I study the issues, study the candidates, and give it my best shot. It's all you can do. It's frustrating, but I dont' see just giving up and saying they are all a bunch of idiots and it doesn't matter.

• coffee shop guy
    coffee shop guy

I'm running for a public office in our small town. The county is quite divided between the two major parties. I'm here to say

that there is no way any political party will bring change. To quote a singing comic named Wally Pleasant, "change comes from within."

It is truly the views and opinions expressed, endorsed or rejected by others that will make any slight change in our system. Vote for the

person, not the party.

CSG

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Could a certain politician bring about real change? Yes. I know this because they have. It took politicians to give women the right to vote and end Jim Crow laws. Any system of government, when run by assholes, will not function correctly. That said, a lot of negative changes have happened as well. Just read about the Republican Party's "Southern Strategy" to exploit the racism in the south to gain power and you'll see what I mean.

The problem here ultimately is the political party structure itself. George Washington in his farewell address warned us about this. He said of political parties:

"It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

What in that quote doesn't describe the current political climate? Distracting the Public Councils and enfeebling the Public Administration? Check. Just look at the gridlock going on in congress. The Republican Party has switched to a platform of "just oppose everything the Democrats want, even if it's something we wanted five years ago." The Democrats have become so utterly gutless that can't even leverage their majority to get anything done. We have a gridlocked government because of partisan bickering. It's a lot harder to do that when there are no "sides" and everyone needs to stand on their own when it comes to the issues.

Agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms? Kindles animosity? Check. One of my favorite websites is michigantruthsquad.org. They analyze the political ads of every politician they can find in the current mid-term election season here in this state. It's alarming what they've dug up. Every politician, regardless of party, is lying about something in their ads. Facts are exaggerated, even completely made up on both sides. Heck, you can even vote by just checking which party you want and it automatically selects every candidate from one party for you.

Opening the door to foreign influence and corruption? Check. The recent Supreme court case allowing corporations to donate to political campaigns certainly opens that door. Just think, foreign-owned corporations can now directly influence our elections. Scary thought, isn't it?

It's a shame none of the other founding fathers had Washington's fortitude in this matter. Imagine picking each candidate based on their individual merits instead of "well I'm a democrat so I'm voting for the democrat" or "I'm a republican so I'm voting for the republican." A lot of people do this to some extent now, but not as much as I'd personally like to see.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ok, I have only read through page one, that's all I could take. At that point, Six and Prodigal appear to be the only ones with any grasp on history. If the rest of you are so sure, please, do us all a favor and stay away from the polls.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You need a party that has zero tolerance for corruption within its members, and will publicly disaffiliate any of its members who, once elected, start acting in a fashion that's against its basic platform. I would recommend checking out the Twelve Visions Party (and do your own research, so you can see just how difficult it is to find bad press against them) and check out their platform. They will not tolerate any Twelve Visions In Name Only candidates, and will quickly and publicly disaffiliate and remove them if they are found.

Now, check the other two party platforms. How many Republican In Name Only people do we find? These are Re-PUKE-licans, and will run as "Republicans" and then do things that go against their core values. Such are an embarrassment to the whole party. They cater to special interests and the One World Totalitarian Government, and cannot effectively change anything. And, they are as often as not biased by hard-core Christian viewpoints. And, nothing is done by the party when they are found.

The Democrat party is as bad. They run in the pretense of handouts, enlarging the government and doing everything to steal your freedom. They thus become DUMP-o-CRAPs, and are completely worthless as leaders. They will throw the Bible out the window only to replace it with the Quran, and it is DUMP-o-CRAPs that are responsible for a permanent income tax, welfare, and the new sickness care bill. DUMP-o-CRAPs also brought in the Federal Reserve system. The only Democrat I know that even tried to uphold the Constitution was JFK.

The truth is, if anyone is to really effect change, they need to prepare to pay for the attempt with their lives. The banking system and the FDA, drug companies, and foreign-based oil companies are willing to take out a president that tries to ruin their One World Totalitarian Government. Being the President should be viewed as the ultimate of serving your country, not as a means to gain power. And, the party needs backups--if they take out one President for fixing the country, they need to have another candidate that is also willing to pay with their lives to fix it. The only other option is another Revolutionary War, and either case is going to result in people getting killed in the name of our country. Remember, the original founders of this once-great country were prepared to pay for our freedom with their lives, and quite a few did.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I have registered to vote for the first time in my life. I wish I'd done it for the last pres. elections but I still had mental shackles. I'm voting and when it comes time to bitch about how things are I can say, "At least I tried to do something. Did you vote? If not, shut the hell up." That in itself will be gratifying.

• designs
    designs

Social Security

Veterans Benefits

Civil Rights and the Voters Rights Act

Dissolving the Draft and going to an all volunteer armed forces

Medical Coverage as a Right for Taxpayers and Citizenship

One Law and one determined promoter can have a large impact.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

So that has worked how well?

obama voter

• minimus
    minimus

Yes Beks. Of course. We're fortunate to now have 3 "historians" here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit