Teen Shot In Derriere ...

by snowbird 73 Replies latest social current

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2010/10/07/teenager-shot-over-sagging-pants/

My stepson is almost 22, and he wears his pants like that. Most f his friends have stopped, though. I told him that in my day, only old men wore baggy jeans, boxer shorts an wife beater undershirts.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Syl I agree that the pants thing is gross. I don't think that it is not as critical a problem as you think. Since you see this as a black issue, I am curious as to what you think the greatest problem facing black America is? Is it the low pants really?

I'm so glad you asked!

I believe our greatest problem lies in the fact that we no longer share that feeling of community.

I don't know about your area, but here, extended families used to be the norm.

There was always someone around to look after the young ones. It was a given that kids should not be left to their own devices.

Now, most of them come home to an empty house, throw something into the microwave, then hit the road.

It's no wonder so many end up doing drugs or making babies, which only perpetuates the cycle.

My house used to be the congregating place for teens until they started running up my blood pressure and I had to chase them off the premises.

Parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins have got to step up, else we stand to lose an entire generation.

Syl

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Sigh...saggy pants are a fad. It will pass, all fads do. It's not a sign of anything except that someone is wearing baggy pants.

• undercover
    undercover
    Please tell me you don't wear socks with the sandals. I hate that.

Hell no. I may be old, but I ain't that old. Nuthin screams "old man out of touch" than a geezer in bermuda shorts, black socks and sandals.

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL.

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Sigh...saggy pants are a fad. It will pass, all fads do. It's not a sign of anything except that someone is wearing baggy pants.

I don't think so, although I wish it would pass. I'm in my 30's, and when I was in high school 15 years ago kids were doing it. Now kids are still ding it. The only thing that seems to have changed is their jeans have gotten tighter.

• snowbird
    snowbird

How long does a fad last?

20 years?

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

How long does a fad last?

20 years?

Syl

This fad is longer than twenty years though. I'm on the East Coast, but I've always been under the impression this trend originate out West from the Pens. If those Cali boys were doing it throughout the eighties, that means this has been going on for a good thirty years at least from their standpoint. The rest of the country has been doing it for a good twenty years. I don't see this fad ceasing.

• undercover
    undercover

Ya know what... maybe it won't go away. Just like blue jeans haven't. The one time scourge of parents and teachers everywhere are now one of the most common pieces of clothing.

I doubt that the super sagging look will catch on with the general public though. It's actually work to have to wear em like that. Most people, after a certain age anyway, are going for comfort over fashion.

Despite it's origins, it's just a fashion statement. That statement might be, "Hey look at me, I'm an idiot", but other than wearing their stupidity on their knees, it's not really hurting anything other than their reputation. And if they don't care about what people think, then I don't care to try to convince them otherwise. And making laws isn't going to do anything. It'll only make matters worse in that you're denying them self-expression and they'll find other ways to express their angst and rage. I'd rather they wear stupid clothes than destroy property or resort to violence.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I'd rather they wear stupid clothes than destroy property or resort to violence.

I have to give you your props on that there statement.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit