European travel

by beksbks 52 Replies latest social entertainment

• B-Rock
    B-Rock

If she can spend so much on luxury she hasn't helped enough.

I always like to say:

To each according to her need. From each according to her ability.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

So, no one should go on vacation until all the poor of the world are looked after?

• poopsiecakes
  • beksbks
    beksbks

Palm, pass me that diamond crusted bowl of saffron scented truffles will ya? Did you want a massage? I'll call Lars in. Nooo noo, don't drink that Champagne!! It's warm! I'll have Jesus bring you a fresh chilled bottle.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Thank-you!

Could you pass me one of those napkins that are hand-stitched by Chinese sweat-shop children? Bless their tiny fingers!

• Damocles
    Damocles

Its a win-win, travel by car or by train is great.

I like the freedom of a car but then its pretty easy to get confused. I remember driving into a small village in France and going around and around the central circle quite a few times before figuring out which way to get out of town on the right road. The natives seemed amused by my discomfort. Roads are not marked as I might have expected. The train is nice and relaxed.

We recently went to Rome to see the Sistine chapel...and the rest of Rome. I wanted to see the Sistine but mostly it was a dream of my wife's. I figured I'd go once then let her go again while I drank some good wine at a cafe and ogled italian women (ogling is legal and expected). I figured wrong. As beautiful as the pictures of the Sistine are, they are nothing compared with the reality. We went back three of our five days in Rome. Then there are the Rafael's. My My My.

BTW let us know how you get ripped off by local con men. If you tell yours, I'll tell mine. There are no con men (women) like Rome con artists. It is the rare, special person who doesn't fall for at least one of the cons.

Enjoy. Its a great place.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I just remembered that my Brother-in-law had his car stolen in Naples. He stopped to toss out some trash (they don't have regular trash service in Naples), they struck him down, jumped into his car and drove off. I'm sure this could happen anywhere, but from what I understand, a little more common in Italy, especially in Naples.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    BTW let us know how you get ripped off by local con men. If you tell yours, I'll tell mine. There are no con men (women) like Rome con artists. It is the rare, special person who doesn't fall for at least one of the cons.

LOL, a few years ago, I went to Beijing with my now husband. He went with work, so I went on a different flight alone. I landed hours before he did, and OMG, what a scene!!! If I had not met a very nice person on the plane who was a regular business visitor, I don't know what I would have done. By the time I was in my cab on my way to the hotel, I was near tears and wishing I was at home! Ultimately a spectacular trip and nothing but wonderful experiences, but you must keep your wits.

• Too Opinionated
    Too Opinionated

We spent 2 weeks travelling in Greece. It culminated in a quick cruise through many of their beautiful islands, and then up the Turkish coast. We stayed in Turkey for 2 days, and it just wasn't enough time. We went to see the ancient city of Ephesus, Topkopi Palace, The Grand Bazaar, just to name a few things. Crammed in as many famous mosques as we could. Loved seeing the minarets. Many Grecian trips will include Turkey. The rest of the time we travelled by bus. Honestly, with the way they drive I was glad to not have the stress. I don't know how we came out alive!

One thing-in Instanbul we were issued green cards before we could get off the ship, and they were given by armed Turkish guards. They took our passport, and returned them when we came back. I don't know if they still do this, but this was pre-9/11. It was a disturbing feeling to have to trust them, but we had no choice. It all worked out, though.

• roguepixel
    roguepixel

Hey Beks, I'm a Brit living in Italy...south of Naples. Anything you want to know, just ask. I can recommend Florence, Rome...and maybe Naples if you're a little adventurous. Better still, skip Naples and spend a couple of days in Sorrento. It's close enough to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Paestum etc if you like history. As for Capri, let's just say they put the 'r' in the wrong place when they spelled it. Driving is okay, as long as you quickly adjust to being aggressive and forthright. The trains can be hit and miss. Many's the time I've gotten on the wrong train and ended up in the arse -end of nowhere. (along with several other disgruntled Italians who heard the same tannoy message). Greece is nice. I can recommend a nice little island called Aegina, just off the coast of Athens (only a short boat ride away). Corinth was a bit crap. If you're driving from Italy to Greece, you may find that you want to stay along the way in Croatia, which is gorgeous.

Ciao, dude x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit