European travel

by beksbks 52 Replies latest social entertainment

• beksbks
    beksbks

Any North Americans traveled in Italy or Greece lately?? Any suggestions on getting around? Train vs rental car etc.?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I went last year and rented a car and drove up through Tuscany to Venice (within a period of a week) and then drove up to Austria.

I LOVED having a rental car. If you have a GPS it is AWESOME. I think it would get way too confusing without a GPS however. I liked having the freedom to go where I wanted and not have to take a train or taxi for everything.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I went to Italy a couple of years ago - Rome, then the Amalfi Coast with my sister. We didn't rent a car - the train system is fantastic and inexpensive. I also suggest renting apartments instead of staying in hotels if you'll be in the same location for more than a few days. For the nightly price of a 2 star hotel in Rome, we had a 2 bedroom apartment with a terrace.

I can PM you some information if you'd like

• beksbks
    beksbks

Are you about to leave for Hawaii? Or am I confusing you with someone else? Because I would realllllllly like to pick your brain on this!

• journey-on
    journey-on

Not lately. It's been over 20 years since I went to Europe. We went EVERYWHERE by train.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, I'm about to leave for Hawaii! Maui to be specific!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Poopsie!!! I use a site called Home Away for places to stay. My plan is to use them for this as soon as I figure out what we are doing. We'd like to rent a car for a portion, and train for the rest. But.................

• beksbks
    beksbks

LOL Have fun Dan, we went to the Big Island earlier this year. I snorkeled like a mad woman, and got burned sooooooooo bad. When you get back you can give me tips on car travel in Italy.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

What region are you planning on going to, Beks?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Research as much as you can before going - I was obsessive about it and it paid off huge. No surprises, just fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit