European travel

by beksbks 52 Replies latest social entertainment

• Woody22
    Woody22

I have done Italy twice lately. My suggestion is rent a car.

It's a little scary in rome but when you start to drive like they do it becomes no different then driving in any big city.

Do not make eye contact with other traffic just go where you want to. they expect to have to use their brakes..

Once your out of Rome it is very easy to go anywhere else in the country.

Greece I know nothing about, but hope to soon.

Woody.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I heard a joke about driving in Italy and I can confirm (at leat in part). In Florence, traffic lights are obeyed, in Rome they are considered suggestions, in Naples they are considered Christmas decorations. Naples drivers were crazy - I saw two cars almost collide, then they both slowed down to about 30 MPH (on the freeway) while they rolled their windows down and made comments and rude gestures to each other. Very funny. I wouldn't dive in Naples, Rome was risky, but the other areas seemed OK.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Welllllllll, my thought was to drive from Milan to Rome, to see Cinque Terre, and the Tuscan hill towns, Florence......etc. Then ditch the car, and use the train.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Check this out hon

http://rentalinrome.com/

great resource for renting an apartment in Rome and my experience with them was really really good - great communication...

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hey Poopsie!! Thank you for that info.

The pics made me think of a movie. Have you ever seen "The Roman Holiday of Mrs. Stone"? The newer one with Helen Mirren. Beautiful!

• Open mind
    Open mind

I highly recommend getting the GPS as was mentioned earlier. Tom Tom is better than Garmin in Europe, but whichever brand you get make sure you get the Europe maps on it before you go if you're bringing your own. I was driving like an Italian maniac in under 10 minutes! No maps, no trying to read signs, just driving like the locals.

I would also spring for FULL, FULL coverage insurance from the car rental company. It cost a lot, but was well worth the peace of mind, IMO.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like more specifics.

om

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

my only comment is that yourapean travel should include me.

• beksbks
    beksbks

OM, did you need the coverage you wild and crazy diver you?? How does driving in Italy compare to driving in Uzbekistan??

• beksbks
    beksbks
    my only comment is that yourapean travel should include me.

My only comment is, I am not at liberty to comment.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Nah, we didn't have to make a claim but the chances of fender benders, vandalism and theft aren't worth worrying about when you're on a special vacation like that.

I hope you have a great time!

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit