has anyone ever been "outed" by posting?

by GrandmaJones 44 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

Most that I know have 'outed' themselves in their taking back their lives/freedom.....

I don't think the WTS-Corporation really cares unless a lawsuit is involved....

I am sure there are nosy-knucklehead Elders who suspect and lurk randomly but usually something has to tip them off locally.....

The WTS has a nice grip on it's captives (umm that includes you and I GMaJ).......

So long as we aren't rocking the boat in a big way causing uber mischief and scandal locally.... it is all good.

_

Bethel lurkers--- Luvs ya!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I start a new topic and in my post is a tiny picture with a pixel size of 1X1. You can't see it because it's the same color as the background and it's no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence.
    This tiny picture is hosted on one of my servers.
    Everybody who reads my topic will generate a hit on my server when the picture loads. I'll collect a whole bunch of IP addresses, but there is no direct correlation between IP addresses and screen names at this point
    However, for those that actually reply to my topic, there will be a correlation between the time they read the topic and the time they replied. --Usually a difference of only a few minutes.
    If process was repeated several times, the correlation would become strong enough to definitly tie IP addresses to screen names. This usually won't identify you by name, but it usually will indicate the city you live in.
    I've never, ever done this and never, ever would, but it is certainly possible.

Grandma, if this kind of stuff scares you, please don't stop posting. If you want, you can pm me your posts, and I'll copy and paste them for you.

• simon17
    simon17

I am fairly vague and sometimes I'll include an inaccurate piece of data if its fairly meaningless.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Me, I don't care, they can kiss my ______. There was one poster a couple years ago got outted and was df, RicheRich. Seemed to want to get caught, became more brazzen each time he posted. Doesn't post anymore, lot of members liked him, after being df he developed an up yours attitude toward everyone.

As other's have said don't give out any personel information, be discrete, you should be fine....Welcome to the board Grandma Jones......

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

If you ask me,it's the society that is being "Outed" for what they are, by everyone who posts their experiences here. I think it may be Internet Savvy Bethelites who are blocking the internet videos, thinking they are doing a good work. The societies IP address would show up because I believe they all use the same provider.

As far as I'm concerned they can "out" to their hearts content. Express your honest thoughts in an open discussion on the Internet or hold up a liquor store, either way you wind up being shunned.

• flipper
    flipper

GRANDMA JONES- I think you may be just a little TOO scared, or paranoid. We all have fictitious names on here for that very purpose - to hide our identity. You really didn't think my real name is Flipper, did you ? ( just teasing - trying to make you laugh a bit ) What you are experiencing in being fearful is normal. It's part of the fear that Jehovah's Witnesses and the WT society have put into your mind- indoctrinated to be fearful and feel guilt. In time those feelings will subside and go away. Just give it time friend

• TD
    TD
    Sort of.

???

You could identify which ISP, a user had, but not the actual name of the uer. Most IP's given out are dynamic and without going to the ISP and getting info from them on which customer had which IP at what time, you couldn't tie that back to a specific actual person.

Not their real name, no. (Although a few years ago, this actually was possible with several major ISP's including Cox Communications.)

But I didn't say anything about their actual name. This example was a way to tie an IP and city of origin to a screenname. Most residential IP's are dynamic in theory, but in actual practice a person can have the same IP for many consecutive months.

If a person has leaked enough details about themselves over the years, (Age, sex, marital status, occupation, number of children, number and type of pets, hobbies, interests, type of vehicle etc) sometimes city of origin is all it takes for an armchair JW detective in the same city to make a damn good guess. If the person posts from both home and work, it gets even worse, because tying a commercial IP to a company domain is child's play.

I know of a JW that lurks here and makes a career out of this. (I'll PM you the name if you want.)

This doesn't mean anyone needs to stop posting. All it means is just like everything else on the internet, a little discretion is called for.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Thanks for the information. I will just continue to be careful and to change enough information to throw others off. Anyone else from Florida?

Grandma Jones

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

But I didn't say anything about their actual name. This example was a way to tie an IP and city of origin to a screenname. Most residential IP's are dynamic in theory, but in actual practice a person can have the same IP for many consecutive months.

Yeah, I was multi-tasking and didn't parse that right when I read it the first time, my bad.

Please PM me the name. I pretty much outed myself earlier (and someone from here called my google number).

• four candles
    four candles

Mr Flipper,I'm devastated..........I thought you were a cute creature that whistles!!!!! Ah well,.............does it matter if you are outed,if you're on here you want to leave anyway don't you?????

By the way,Four Candles is my real name!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit