has anyone ever been "outed" by posting?

by GrandmaJones 44 Replies latest jw friends

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

has anyone ever been recognized and outed? I am trying to not let too much personal information out here, but is there a real concern?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I am actually more worried about trying to waste the maximum amount of their time for the minimum amount of gain for them. I intentionally scatter my "personal details" through many posts, so it will take hours and hours of digging through all of them (and many others not from me), then locating me, to find me. And, hopefully many a wrong guess, resulting in someone else getting "outed" and ending up also joining this forum.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm careless. Shouldn't be, though. I've never been caught

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Sometimes people reconnect here..... just if your situation is "unsafe" most stories you tell are not unique... the longer you read the posts here the quicker you will see you are not alone. Remember the World is a big place, People on this site are from everywhere!! Just be carefully of telling places you should be fine. Many here Don't care(like me) but still won't give too much info... even thou I put my Pic up..... not knowing it was members only.... even if it said Members Only... it took another Poster to point that out..... I don't care if I'm found out.. they can't take anything else from me..... but was still nervous. I like the Mystery of it all....

let me put it this way..... I met many great people here.... made Great friends... for months. I check in everyday and after ^ months one friend told me they had a Pic here..... they had to tell me where what thread.... what Page of the post..... OH that's you! it made me feel safer.... and I don't need to be safe so....... As long as you don't give your Name and Address and Phone #.......

you should be fine..... Don't worry... and welcome aboard.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I have read reference to a few people being outed by the details they included in their posts. I wasn't on the board when it happened, but I'm assuming you'd have to give pretty big clues about your identity to be outed.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I once got a Private Message from a poster I didn't know and had never met in real life. He knew who I was and knew my sisters and their elder husbands, it seems he was in the same congregation as them.

Very unnerving though nothing ever came of it.

(This guy doesn't seem to post anymore.)

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I'll out myself. My name is Greg, I was DF'ed in Mocksville NC. My email is [email protected], my number is 980-522-8043.

• wobble
    wobble

I know of a young "sister" who outed herself on another site,way too many details ! and was DF'd ,when she asked what the Elder, who discovered her rant, was doing on the (forbidden by WT) site, she was told it was being " looked in to ".

Nothing happened to him though.

I think you are safe on here as long as you do not give out too many very individual and personal facts.

It would be easy for one of the Elders in my old Congo. to I.D me by what I have said on here, but then I don't care that much, they have no power over me.

But if you just speak generally, your situation will blend in with that of many others on here and they could not prove who "GrandmaJones" is.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

notverylikely, if the info you posted is correct, you're not far from the Assembly hall in Salisbury, NC then.

Did you ever attend there or were you out before it was built?

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

Clearly that's not possible because the internet is a tool of Satan and an elder of Jehovah's flock wouldn't be reading an apostate website like this one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit