Ignorant Judgemental CO's and DO's

by Scully 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

badwillie wrote the following experience about an ignorant comment from a DO:

Case in Point:
    A friend received a full scholarship from a local college to study to become a veternarian. She is now a freshman there.
    Her congregation was just the host congregation so had the CO & DO visit together. The DO heard that this girl was in college full time. He came up to her after a meeting, and said very smugly.."oh, you're in College huh, let's just hope you find the time to pioneer". and then he just walked off.

Let's get some more quotes going.

Here's mine:

We were the host congregation for the CO and DO when our eldest daughter was about 8 months old. My husband and I decided when she was just a few weeks old to have her ears pierced. No big deal. It is a very common practice locally, even among JWs.

We had the "privilege" of having the DO and his wife work with us in service on the Saturday morning. They rode in our car, didn't offer any gas money (naturally), and gave the impression that because they were really 'special pioneers' they didn't have a lot of money to spare on frivolities like coffee break. So my husband, being a nice guy, and because he was 'reaching out' for privileges and hoped the DO would put a good word in for him, bought coffee and treats for the DO and his wife at coffee break time.

The DO was seated across from me and my daughter was on my knee, drinking some juice. My husband excused himself to take our son to the washroom. As soon as hubby was out of earshot, the DO changed the tone of the small talk conversation. He looked at my daughter and said with a superior tone: "You got her ears pierced, huh?? Might as well have had her nose done at the same time!" It must have been a test of my 'quiet and mild spirit', which I flunked royally. I smiled sweetly and said "I don't see how it's any worse than having little boys circumcised, as a matter of fact, I believe the Apostle Paul said that circumcision was actually unnecessary for Christians. I don't think he addressed the matter of earrings though, but I'm sure you'll agree that parents are the ones who Jehovah gives the decision making to, and it's really nobody else's business to criticise a personal matter like that. Isn't that true, Brother Johnson?? I'm sure [hubby] would have been interested to discuss the matter with you too, not to mention the principle of headship; so why did you wait until he was gone to bring it up with me??"

His wife stared at me, and he was glaring at me too. Obviously he wasn't accustomed to having a Sister telling him to mind his own damn business. Rather than going on Return Visits with us afterward as we had planned, he made arrangements for himself and his wife to go back to the Kingdom Hall with someone else. My husband was kind of surprised at the sudden change of plans, and when I told him about our little "conversation" in the coffee shop, he thought it was pretty funny, until I cautioned him against expecting an appointment because of it. He was disappointed, but I said, 'You really don't want to be taking that kind of crap from a guy who doesn't respect your headship over your own family, not to mention how he sponged off you today. If I'd let him get away with what he said today, he'll just keep doing it!'

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person
    to expose a certain religion as being false.
    - WT 11/15/63

A religion that teaches lies cannot be true. -WT 12/1/91

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If anything bad happens to your husband, will you marry me Scully?

ps. could you send me a lock of your husbands hair for a class project I'm doing in 'Haitian religion studies'?

• Scully
    Scully

SixofNine writes:

If anything bad happens to your husband, will you marry me Scully?

ps. could you send me a lock of your husbands hair for a class project I'm doing in 'Haitian religion studies'?

Maybe!

PS: Hair?? What hair??

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person
    to expose a certain religion as being false.
    - WT 11/15/63

A religion that teaches lies cannot be true. -WT 12/1/91

• Amazing
    Amazing

I recall a CO (who had also served several times as DO) who was very abrasive about being on time and seated at assemblies. He was introduced for the afternoon session at our Circuit Assmebly. He saw that a good number were still taking seats, some standing in the back talking, and some out in the lobby walking around ... so he yells into the microphone and said, "I'm Waitingggggggggggg ... this program will not start until you people take your seats ... I'm waitinggggggg ..." Then he began to tap his fingernails loudly on the podium so that the microphone picked up. he shrugged over the podium and placed his head on his chin ... and started mimicking a snoring sound ... than said again very loudly, "I'm still waitingggggggggggggg" ...

That is all I recall of what he said. I recall him making very snide remarks about JWs who wold dare walk around while the program is in session. After the session started, and some got up and wlked around, he stopped the program, and started in again ... "I'm Waitingggggg ... you people must sit down or I will stand he all day waitingggggg" ...

After his part was over ... and he was safely behind the stage in the waiting room ... I got up, and went into the lobby where the restrooms were located. While there, I heard some JW women ... not young or old ... maybe in their 30s or 40s standing there with their husbands ... some of whom I recognized as Elders ... and they were hot mad at the CO ... they wanted to pack up and leave the Assembly ... they were upset about the push to Pioneer, and this CO's actions and words were the last straw for them ... and their husbands were debating what to do ...

Unfortunately, it was already Sat. afternoon and the Elders meeting with the Co and DO was already completed. I sometimes wonder if this had happened before the Elders meeting, just what it would have been like to see the CO talk about this before the Circuit Body of Elders.

Yes, the CO was a pure jackass ... and I don't blame those women for being pissed. At the time, I was so stunned, I didn't know what to do ... like a deer on the highway - entranced by the oncoming headlights ... I just couldn't think of what to say. Were it to happen now ... and I was at am Assembly ... I would walk out and never return ... then again, if it happened now ... I would not be at the Assembly in the first place ...

• metatron
    metatron

Good for You!

These itinerant wolves-in-sheep's clothing wouldn't get away
    with these kind of comments if EVERYONE pointedly told them
    that they are rude and injecting themselves into matters that
    aren't their business.

metatron

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Could you send me the instructions for whatever "experiment" you're going to try. I have some ideas too.

(bad Anne, bad Anne)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Can't think of any CO or Do stories but at the last meeting I was at, the elder giving the talk made a snide remark about how anyone that watched the Simpsons TV show was not very bright. I thought he went a little far as giving his own opnion.

Last fall one elder made a remark to me after the 9-11 desaster. He said smugly "Its funny how many people start comming back to the meetings just to save their skins when a couple of building have been hit."

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

thanks for posting these experiences - reminds me why i walked away from being treated like a second-rate person by the non-clergy class !

in terms of locks of hair - you need a few snips of CO hair surely ...

• Patriot
    Patriot

In a Circuit assembly after lunch some kid in the front of the hall had a helium ballon from Wendys' and accidently let it go.

Everyone was looking up following the balloon until the C.O. who was giving the talk got upset (unaware of the balloon) and said:

It be nice if everyone would pay attention instead of day dreaming. I mean what are you looking at?...are there angels coming down from heaven or something?..."

And thats when someone yelled outloud what the fuss was about and then he went inot a little talk about how you cant bring these "foolish" things into Gods house.
    Retard.

Mav.-

• LB
    LB

A few years back my youngest son was getting married to a pioneer sister. He was excited of course and when the CO came to visit he told the CO who he was marrying. He said congratulations and asked him when he was going to sign up to be a regular pioneer himself.

Well My son told him that wasn't possible as he was now working full time to provide for himself and his future wife. The CO shook his head and said "I hope that pioneer sister you are marrying can talk some sense into you, and that you don't bring her down".

So much for encouragement.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit