Ignorant Judgemental CO's and DO's

by Scully 58 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

When a person lives within a tight community like the WTS and seldom if ever have any of their views and opinions seriously challenged, they can develop an almost psychotic self-confidence.

Confront many CO’s, as I have done on many occasions and they will bristle, they have not been trained to deal with a challenge to WTS authority, imagining that it has no basis for being challenged, other than by Satan or his 'dupes', who of course must be wrong.

Have your ever noticed how rather than focus on terms like ‘conversation’ and 'discussion', the WTS emphasize and re-emphasize the term ‘boldly declare’. Think about those words ‘boldly’, ‘declare’, then put them into the hands of the less than humble and you have a recipe for verbal pain.

A couple of years ago I visited a famous movie personality, I cannot say whom or where, but I will say that he received a Golden Globe award this week. We were due out for lunch. Just as we were leaving his substantial home two elderly JW’s approached the front door, and ignoring his plea that we were running late, launched into a magazine presentation. I played the part of an onlooker, and it was quite obvious that they recognized who the person was that they were speaking to. It encouraged them to an even greater degree of ebullience.

I watched them carefully, 1950’s brilliantined untrimmed hair, raincoats shiny from overuse, scuffed shoes and devoid of even minimal social graces, yet the total confidence granted to them by a belief system that has convinced them of an unassailable belief in their own self-importance, was pronounced.

Eventually after much mumbling, one of them through a sick sort of grin said, ‘I suppose that you think you have your little Kingdom already’. With that they both turned around and shuffled back down the drive convinced that they had struck at the heart of all that is wrong with the world. Movie man, a gentle and kind man, just shrugged his shoulders quizzically.

Please do not misunderstand my point. My life is built on an understanding of the equality of every human life and I fervently believe in this. People are just people, but it was the lack of true self-awareness that is the issue. The same attitude that allows janitors to set themselves up as psychiatrists, judges, scientists, and experts in scripture, and then to be totally confident that they have been chosen by God for these assignments.

It is a very ugly trait that fights the spirit of humility at every turn.

Best regards - HS

• Wren
    Wren

Metatron's CO's MO at assemblies sounds very familiar. He must have used it regularly at assemblies. I remember the "I'm waitinggg!" speaker.

To stay "In" ignorant and judgemental must be viewed as part of good society.

• Mulan
    Mulan

hillary: What do you mean, you can't tell us who it was? Don't you know how star struck I am?

Okay, was it Harrison Ford? Ron Howard? Couldn't have been Russell Crowe. Charlie Sheen? Tom Hanks????

PLEASE. Was it one of these?

"No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Mulan,

Yes, one of the ones that you noted!

HS

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Amazing,

that CO/sometimes DO wasn't Clayton Peace was it? Of course, I never heard him say, "I'm waiting," he normally just stood there with his hands behind his back, silent for several minutes while people found their seats. It caused quite a ruckus for some, as they had been in the back preparing sandwiches (back when they still served food).

At the congregation, he would do the same thing during the public talk while all the late-comers found their seats (which were naturally on the front row since everyone always took the rear seats)

"If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Mulan,

My money is on Harrison Ford. Am I a winner, Hillary?

"If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"

• flower
    flower

scully,

that was great how you handled that Overseer. reading that story brought some pain back to me but thats good cause i need to deal with it. i remember as a little girl wanting to get my ears pierced so bad but my father being an elder refused to let us. i didnt finally get them pierced until i was 18 and talked my mom into letting me do it for my hs graduation ceremony. can you believe the nerve of these guys meddling in every little aspect of our lives and pretending that there is a scriptural reason for it? ugh its just sickening to think of how hard our lives were and all so our fathers could be big shots and look good in front of the asshole overseers.

anyway..YOU GO GIRL!

flower

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Scully, Hilary, et al,

These smug little demagogues are totally unprepared to deal with hard, even impertinent questions, since most of the elders they lord it over are little more than toadies.

I'm reminded of how JWs lover to guffaw over how even the youngsters have left clergymen redfaced because of their having been stymied by their challenges to support their dogma with the Bible.

It's no different,of course, if and when an elder turns the hose on the CO or DO with a hard question, no matter how respectfully he posits it.

I did exactly that at the elders' meeting with the CO which proved to be my last ever, when I reacted to an order from him, (Floyd Adams, by the way), to ``back off and contact the Society'' whenever a JW facing a judicial committee threatens to bring in a lawyer.

Raising my hand, I asked him whether a true shepherd would be expected to lay down his life for the sheep. Taking the bait, he replied in the affirmative. ``Then, if we're contemplating the removal of an immoral or dangerous person from our midst, why should we be deterred by any threat of a lawsuit? And if we were to lose any of our financial or other material assets in such a lawsuit, would we not regard it as suffering a loss for righteousness sake. Why should our fear of losing our material goods deter us from protecting the little sheep in our charge?

Much like the stereotypical dumbfounded clergymen of Watchtower lore, Adams turned beet red, and stammered something about ``well, that comes down from the District Overseer.''

Soon after, the meeting concluded with prayer, and one of my colleagues left for his car, shaking his hed all the way. He never came back.

• Scully
    Scully

this is too much fun to let it get away.... bttt

• Mulan
    Mulan

KOOOLLL!

I wonder if it is Harrison Ford, since his award was the Cecil B. DeMille award. Was that a Golden Globe too?

Tom Hanks, if not Harrison Ford. Ron Howard is the same type of guy, as those are, too. Casual, smart, really nice men. Glad he resisted the Borg people, whoever it was.

"No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit