GB says NO SPORTS for JWs??!!WHAT??HUh?!!

by plmkrzy 49 Replies latest jw friends

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan
    really?? and where is this rule you speak of??...please show me..

You know which rule we are talking about. Otherwise, you wouldn't be in this thread and you are the one who made the reply to plm about it.

Ajax

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Ajax, I even remember an assembly where a couple of eternal virgins were wearing VERY modest dresses, (they were almost ankle length-even my then perverted 13 year old mind couldn't get anything out of it), and the CO told them to go home and change. One girl refused (she lived an hour away from the assembly hall), and he kicked her out of the program. Ridiculous.

And yes, the ankle-length dresses were for the video only. Normally the witties would wear normal stuff, but there was always by-laws, such as elders who didn't like writing on clothes, or star wars shirts, my father even once said that green-striped shirts were rebellious and I was punished for wearing one in a school picture.

Just the tip of the iceberg.

ashi

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

I've been thinking about a statement made in the "Young People Ask" article:

For example, just what is the accident rate for a particular sport?
    Did the Watchtower Society follow their own advice before making the following recommendation?

Your parents may prefer that you pursue activities that seem to be less inherently life threatening, such as bicycling, skating, skiing, and snorkeling, to name a few.
    I did a quick search for accident statistics by sport. Based on data from the National Center for Health Statistics, here is a list from "most likely to cause injury" to "least likely to cause injury."

[Average annual injury visits to hospital emergency departments by persons between 5 and 24 years of age by type of activity performed when injury occurred: United States, 1997-98]

from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/ahcd/injurytable.htm

Basketball 447
    Pedal cycling 421
    Football 271
    Baseball/softball 245
    Other sport (Includes all other categories such as games, all terrain vehicles, and unspecified sport/recreational activities.) 178
    Ice- or roller skating/boarding 150
    Gymnastics/cheerleading 146
    Playground 137
    Other group sport (Includes other group sports such as volleyball, hockey, and lacrosse.) 112
    Snow sport 111
    Water sport 100
    Soccer 95
    Exercising/track 94
    Combative 61
    Recreational 50

"Pedal cycling" (bicycling) is number two on the list and is more likely to cause injury than football. Granted, the article said "activities that seem to be less inherently life threatening." Still, the WTS's recommendation does not seem very discreet. It's a good reminder to carefully read their fine print and check up on what they say.

Since the article is concerned about fatalities, perhaps this comparison isn't quite fair. I searched for sports fatalities:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/08_99/cantu.htm

Here is a list based on the high school figures:

Football 150
    Basketball 54
    Track and field 35
    Soccer 20
    Wrestling 15
    Baseball 13
    Cross-country 10
    Ice hockey 4
    Swimming 4
    Lacrosse 3
    Gymnastics 1
    Tennis 1
    I can't find figures for fatalities during sex, so I don't know how that rates on the risk scale.

Ginny

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

ashitaka
    "a couple of eternal virgins"

GinnyTosken
    HOW DO YOU DO THAT SO FAST???

• freeman
    freeman

“I can't find figures for fatalities during sex, so I don't know how that rates on the risk scale”

I found them for you

Sexual Related Fatalities:

Heart attack: 17

Jealous mate: 14

Falling: 8

Wild animal Attack: 3

Freeman

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Wild animal Attack

whoa, forget the camel Expatbrit!

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    You know which rule we are talking about. Otherwise, you wouldn't be in this thread and you are the one who made the reply to plm about it.

yaaaawn..this is getting to easy...antis speaking with no or
    stretched proof.....next!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

nytelecom says:

yaaaawn..this is getting to easy...antis speaking with no or
    stretched proof.....next!

One more example of why people are leaving the Borg and why outsiders are not interested in becoming JWs.

Ajax

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

nytelecom,

if this is getting too easy, then why don't you say what is the rule?

It's been posted here. Unless you didn't bother reading the post, then that's really the easy part.

Ajax

• idaho
    idaho

Just for the record. By the usual watchtower standards track and field athletics must definitely heathen Just think of it these sports orginate from the Greek Olypiade where the greek athelics gave praise and honor to the Greek Gods and in a sense were an archtype of the gods. Oh no! now I have to throw out my track awards!

But golf! That's not heathen just Scotish!

Finn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit