Brother EE fancies himself an amature photographer..

by elderelite 75 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Yeah, I understand the dilemma, Leo. If I can't shoot RAW, I drop the overexposure bias, too. Not much can be done to recover clipped values in JPEGs. As for an impatient partner, that's much more difficult to upgrade. :-D

For those of you who haven't stated so, are you shooting Canon, Nikon, or other? I like both Nikon and Canon but just happened to buy into the Canon camp on a whim. Now I'm vested in Canon glass and accessories but not a fan-boy. There are definitely some advantages out there for Nikon users.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am limited to 2GB cards; my old digicam (which is a bridge camera, neither point-and-shoot nor DSLR) won't recognize any SDHD cards. The priority setting depends on situation; shutter priority gets set more often if I am in a moving vehicle or if light is failing or if I am shooting sports. It seriously is time for me to get a new camera! Although it is fun going back to my old trusty SLR and shoot film. I take RAWs when I feel it is a scene I want to capture to the best of my ability. It is also not desirable to shoot RAW if I am in burst mode. Another problem is that I have to also upgrade my software; my ancient copy of Photoshop that I use cannot handle RAW format.

Also lately I have been shooting multiple photos of the same scene for later stitching; I use Autopano Giga.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

SBCheezits, I fell into the Nikon camp because that was what my mentor had. I have no Canon experience, but I know that the two are top dogs and always fight for #1 spot each year.

I will say tho, I took a class a few months back to refresh myself and hone my skills more and half the class had Nikon, the other had Canon (8 students). The Nikon users were able to adjust their settings much quicker consistently than the Canon users. One Canon guy was a pro photographer for the paper and a total newbie Nikon girl was able to switch settings on the fly much faster.

But overall, you can't go wrong with either of the two. Even Olympus, Sony... all the rest, they all take great pictures.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Some of the pictures I posted were on a Nikon D40 (the lake, berries, and ship) - It's a suprisingly good camera for what magazines labeled an 'entry level' dsl. I still find it pleasent to shoot with.

At the beginning of this month I bought a new camara - I went with the Canon Rebel T2i. I need the ability to shoot some high-quality video through a good set of lenses - there are places where my usual HD cam just doesn't perform well enough. I want to start building up a real kit, and eventually (when I have the money) go full-frame. I chose canon because I think it's a little ahead of the game tech-wise, and I like their lenses.

I also use circular polorizers, ND filters, time-lapse remotes.. etc. I always keep 3x the number of batteries and storage cards on me as I think I'll need - just because you never know. Don't want to be 6 miles out and see that battery light flashing.

I will say tho, I took a class a few months back to refresh myself and hone my skills more and half the class had Nikon, the other had Canon (8 students).

I would agree. Even as I've gotten used to my canon, changing settings on the nikon is just a little faster. Nikon lays out their user interfaces a little cleaner, I think. My rebel has buttons in akward places to reach.

- Lime

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Yesss, a friend of mine shoots Nikon and I've played with it a bit. I love the fact that you don't have to drill down through menus so much. The Canon Rebels were pretty limited with control/function accessibility. The 5DmkII is incredible in almost every way but still doesn't have as many hardware controls as the typical Nikon DSLR. But I LOVE having the freedom to shoot at ISO6400+ with acceptable noise that I can clean up later. (It's capable of reaching an equivalent of 25,600 but I'll never use it.)

Nikon (vs Canon) has a good handle on AF and minimal noise, don't they?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Oh yeah, the auto-focus on my entry-level D40 is much quicker, and frankly just better than the Rebel's. The nikon is quick (nearly instant), silent, and gets it right immediately. The canon is slower (takes about twice as long), noisy, and glitchier - it'll focus near to far 2 or more times on occation before it gets it. Not sure what's up with that.

Still, the canon is the one in the bag, because I want 1080 video on-hand, 3x more mega-pixels, live preview, etc.

- Lime

• DocBob
    DocBob

After a lot of reading and comparing and with some recommendations from friends I went with the Canon T2i also. I'm loving it.

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

I recently made a slideshow and some music to go with it of my favourite shots from the last 4 years.

99% of them taken with a Canon 450D. Photography is my art.

Brad

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Soldier77 I have tried to shoot in Manual as an assignment from my photography workshops but it is so foreign to me. That will be my goal to be comfortable shooting in manual. Right now I shoot in A mode with my Nikon....but I need to get out and practice.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Sent a PM to Leolaia, EE, CuriousB, Soldier77 - sorry - can't include you all. Great thread

MMXIV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit