What silly things have you been counselled on or simply been told off for?

by 3Mozzies 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chalam
    Chalam

JWinprotest In the 80's they took the microphones away from me because I was growing a mullet. That alone proves they are directed by holy spirit, because they knew mullets were wrong before anyone else did.

LOL!

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I was spoken to by an elders wife about letting my daughter wear "worldly" earings. She was 10 at the time and was wearing an older pair of earings that a sweet 80 year old sister had given her the week before.

My husband was spoken to by an elder about our son, who was about 3 at the time falling asleep at the kh. This elder wanted us to wake him up so that he could hear the teachings of Jehovah! Anyway, thankfully my husband said no way because if we woke up a tired baby NO ONE was going to hear the meetings.

My husband was told he could not take the family out in service on Sundays, this is a habit we got into because our poor kids asked for one day to sleep in and watch cartoons like normal kids on Saturday and since we were already at the hall sundays, we thought we could go in service after the meetings and kill two birds with one stone. But the pharisitical elders informed my husband that Saturday was the more acceptable day for service as more people go out and can "SEE HIM" and his family doing God's Work. My hubby was like, why do I care if people see me, God knows I am out in service. But the elders persisted and my hubby went back to Saturdays. Only I refused to change the kid's routine back so the kids and I missed every single Sat service and I went out during the week while they were in school.

Another time a "sister" reamed me out because I arrived to the sunday meeting, along with my daughter a little bit after my hubby and son (daughter needed to change clothes due to bloody nose), and we could not find seats together so I sat in back with my daughter. This sister told me how inappropriate my behavior was and that married couples and families MUST sit together for all meetings.

Peace, Lilly

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

These are good and made me chuckle.

I do not have any really good stories but here is one.

There was one elder in our KH who would complain during and recite all the offenses at their elder's meetings what the elder's wives were doing. I only found out because 2 elders told their wives and they told me. hee hee I asked my husband and his mouth dropped. Well this self-rightous elder had a list of offenses and some of them were: - We chew gum at the KH - Some of our skirts were too short. I guess he pointed that claim at me. My skirts were are my knees, just when I sat down they hiked a little. I told hubby he can "sit and spin" last I knew I was an adult. - We are not out in FS on a regular basis during the week. - We only comment a few times during the meeting, guess he wanted our hands up all the time. I guess the other elders shut him up. Come to find out it was his freaking wife who was taking notes and reporting them to her husband. Fast forward 10 yrs that self righteous jerk is now Df'd, left his wife and living out west. He would strong arm the publishers telling them what they should and should not be doing. I am just glad he is not in my congregation.

• teel
    teel
    Oh my!!! Yes! I totally forgot about Proctor & Gamble, what was it connected to?
    What was the reason?

There was an urban legend about Procter & Gamble being involved in satanism.

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/procter.asp

The president of Procter & Gamble announced on a popular talk show that he donates a portion of the company's profits to the Church of Satan.

• watersprout
    watersprout

When babysprout was newborn she suffered from colic and cried every hour of the day! I was out in the foyer at the meeting and this elder looked at me tutted and slamed the door shut to the main hall... I didn't know whether to cry or punch him in the face!

A few months later this same elder who was in charge of the field service reports came up to me and wanted to know why i hadn't reported...I told him i had a 3 month old baby and that it was winter and i wasn't taking a baby out in this weather... His reply... Thats no excuse, get out on the ministry.

the love is truly overwhelming isn't it! Lol...

Peace and light

• imconfused
    imconfused

Hmmmm, things I can think of but I'm sure there’s tons more:

nail varnish was to bright or a different one every meeting, dress too short - an elder actually came up to me once and grabbed the hem of my dress and yanked it down, which of course only pulled it lower on my chest and nearly gave everyone a good old flash (the older bro & sis I was talking to at the time told him to go away & that I looked nice in what I had on), , dress too long, split in dress to big, dress to tight and could see my knicker line - my reply was that I was going commando that day so they were wrong.

Often people went to my parents, mam would stress and run over to me and say cover this up etc etc, dad usually told them to speak to me themselves - My dad was a mini man (an elder now) but he always stuck up for us to the elders when they made their stupid complaints about us

The coloured shirt thing was a thing in my cong to until a co came with bright funky shirts & ties - best co that I can rememb. His wife got pregnant a bit after that and they got dumped with nothing as they’d given it all up to serve.

My dad got counselled for growing a moustache, said he was being indecisive (the last time he'd had one was 10 years before) he told the elder that him getting his haircut was indecisive and he left him alone after that.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

We were told to get to the hall earlier so we could get a seat near the back with our newborn. I felt like saying we would get there earlier if we could dumba$$, we can't control when our baby poops or spits up all over our clothes. Funny how we were spoken to, but the people taking up the back rows that were supposed to be saved for elderly ones or people with young families weren't.

We also had an elder tell us that kids seem noiser nowadays and misbehave because parents don't believe in spankings.

If they don't like children being children, then they should bring back the nursery and children's classes they used to have in the 20s.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I once got a "talking to" for playing poker with a bunch of my friends on the KH steps while we were killing time after working our asses off mowing the fricking lawn. 2 elders had to talk to 4 teenagers and brow beat them... hell, we were only using rocks to gamble with!

• imconfused
    imconfused

I remebered another funny thing: they had white shirts out back in all different sizes so that if a visitng speaker came in a coloured shirt, they would make him change!!!

• watersprout
    watersprout
    dress to tight and could see my knicker line - my reply was that I was going commando that day so they were wrong.

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Your reply was perfect! I wish i had been there to see their faces! I would have smacked the elder in his face if he yanked my dress down! Cheeky so and so!

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit