What silly things have you been counselled on or simply been told off for?

by 3Mozzies 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• factfinder
    factfinder

I was councled by an elder for asking him how big God is? I wanted to know if he is larger than the universe? The elder was deeply offended and said I was being very distrespectful to Jehovah for thinking such things.

I was criticized for doing research on how much literature the society prints each year and how large the factories are. I found a number of contradictions between information published in The Watjhtower, Awake!, the KM, Bethel tour brochures, letters from the Society and things told to me by Bethelites. Seems I'm wrong to want to know the truth about these things and that Bethel can't get their facts straight.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I was also criticized for listening to Abba. I was told the name Abba is a witch word!!!! I'm surprised they did not criticise me for being a big fan of a-ha as I'm sure they will come up with some stupid made up meaning for that name and connect it to Satan!

And of course, I was told never to buy anything from a Wawa store as that is a satanic name! Remember when we were told not to by anything by Proctor and Gamble?!

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    Remember when we were told not to by anything by Proctor and Gamble?!

Oh my!!! Yes! I totally forgot about Proctor & Gamble, what was it connected to?

What was the reason?

For the life of me I can't remember. . . funny thing is that it was my cousin (from the story above about Star Wars) that told me about Proctor & Gamble too. She was big in believing their crap.

3Mozzies

• seawolf
    seawolf

Forgot to wear a tie and was counseled by an elder's wife! She didn't have a head covering on so I didn't listen to her.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

My brother got hauled into the back room after an ever so righteous young sister told the Elders that he smoked a pipe and she just saw it sticking out of the lapel pocket of his suit jacket. When they told him what he was accused of, he pulled out the little tortoise shell brush he kept on hand to tame his curly hair. He exited the room and the Elders went in search for the snitch. We used to call her "Suzy Straitjacket"

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Going to the movies unchaperoned with a male friend.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

They didn't know it was an "R" rated movie either. "There's Something About Mary" is hilarious. I'd recommend it.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Not long after my husband and I got married a couple of the elders got all the newly married couples in the cong together and counselled us on showing affection during the meetings. We were told that the only acceptable thing was that we could hold hands and that if during the song or prayer the husband put his arm around his wife he was not to move his hand up and down, it must be kept still etc

Well just a couple of weeks after that we have our CO visit. This CO was newly married himself for the 2nd time to a girl 27 years younger than himself. During the meetings he couldn't keep his hands off his wife - his arm/hand was going up and down her back and on her neck etc for most of the meeting!

Wonder what the elders thought of that?

Hopscotch

• Duncan
    Duncan

This is a repeat of an old post of mine, but it definitely counts as a ridiculous thing to be counselled on:

RIDICULOUS TEENAGER COUNSELLED AT ASSEMBLY

The ridiculous teenager is me. This story takes me back to 1969, when I was 15 years old. We were attending the International Assembly at Wembley Stadium, near London, the only time, I think, that Wembley was ever used for an assembly.

If you’ve ever read any of the stories I posted on JWD over the years, you’ll know that I was never one of those kids growing up in the truth who always “had doubts about it ” or was unhappy and miserable with the religion, just waiting for the chance to get out. I really, really believed in it all, with a passion.

The summer of 1969 saw me, I would guess, at the most zealous, “spiritual” and devout phase of my Witness-career. In fact, smug and self-righteous are much better words. Within 6 months of that assembly I would be baptised, sx months after that I would be a regular pioneer, having left school at the earliest opportunity, causing a minor furore in the process. (What persecution! How near we must be to the End!)

For this particular assembly I got into the habit of sitting away from my family and friends, so that I could “concentrate properly”, “really pay attention” and not miss a thing at Jehovah’s rich spiritual banquet. A great deal of it also, was I wanted people – the brothers and sisters – to see me , how devout and faithful I was, paying rapt attention, looking up all the scriptures and nodding along with the speaker.

Oh, yes. Nodding along, this was important. I was a big nodder at the time. Nodding was crucial to show everyone how much I appreciated the rich diet of timely truths we were being offered. Nodding, and occasionally looking around at others, almost inviting them to nod along too. “Such prophecy! How upbuilding! What marvellous teachings!”

In my imagination I pictured myself as cutting quite a dash among the brothers. “Do you see that young brother over there? What a fine example he is! We should all strive to be like him! Just look how he handles his bible! See how he nods!”

Nodding especially came into its own when applauding. You’ll all know how many opportunities there are per day for applauding at assemblies, twenty, maybe thirty? I was big on nodding and applauding. Nodding and applauding and looking around. What a fine Witness I was!

I even had (and now we’re getting to the point of this story) my own special style of applauding. I mean, I hadn’t worked this out beforehand or anything, it just came naturally to me. Rather than just clapping hands in the way any other person might, I employed an exaggerated, very slow, deliberate pounding of the hands together. I rather thought this showed how “heartfelt” my appreciation was. I would sit there nodding, banging my palms together, once maybe every 2 or 3 seconds, each time bringing my hands together from a wide arc, starting from the kind of position a goal-keeper adopts when facing a penalty. This was truly Theocratic clapping!

Remember, an awful lot of this was not just because I was so devout – there was also a large Pharisee element to all of this, the objective of being noticed; being seen to be so spiritual. You can imagine, then, how thrilled I was when, returning to my seat after a lunch-time break, one of the attendants came up to me and asked if he could have a word.

At the time, I kind-of had a fantasy that the brothers had some sort of scouting system in operation at assemblies where they would look for fine young brothers to invite to Bethel or Gilead or something. “This is it!” I thought, “ I’ve been discovered!”

The brother was somewhat nervous and hesitant. Looking back on this now, I can picture him as a youth, not very much older than I was, being put up to this task by his Attendant Supervisor.

“Thing is, brother, “ he began, “well - would you mind terribly - er, … that is … would it be possible, do you think, uhm…. Look, could you just clap properly?”

Utterly crestfallen, I managed “Yes, of course.”

Dumbfounded and subdued, I sat quietly through the rest of that session in my seat. But at the next break, moved away to another part of the stadium. I never went back, or even near, that section again. I spent the next 4 days avoiding that area.

I’ll admit, it did pretty much cure me of my self-righteous nodding and looking around phase. So, thanks for that, brother, whoever you were.

• Chalam
    Chalam

factfinder I was also criticized for listening to Abba. I was told the name Abba is a witch word!!!!

Those dudes obviously never leaned any Aramaic :(

Galatians 4:6 (New International Version)

6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, [a] Father."

Footnotes:
    1. Galatians 4:6 Aramaic for Father

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit