Could They Dump The Assemblies?

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As already mentioned, they make money on assemblies. If they did not, they would change things. Selling a property might be that they have paid for it and it is valuable to sell and make the members pay for the next assembly hall. Or it might be that they are not making enough profit from a building.

I see future conventions held in the smaller Assembly Halls instead of rented stadiums as they will see the need to keep smaller donations "in house" and stretched further. I see conventions switching to Saturday-Sunday only to try to squeeze more money out of people- one less night in a hotel and increase the deficit during the announcements, maybe the members will give a wee bit more.

To accomodate such a radical change, I see them ditching the two-day circuit assemblies and having two (or even three) one-day assemblies per year. They could run those Assembly Halls 52 weekends per year.

• donuthole
    donuthole

I don't see assemblies going because of the money aspect --

I don't know how it is currently but there was never a danger of an assembly hall not paying the bills. On the rare occasion that they didn't receive enough contributions to meet "expenses" they sent a letter to the congregations of the circuit instructing them to send a check for what was lacking. I even know of one occasion when the letter went around twice. (This is in the 1980's.)

The Watchtower regularly benefits from the assembly arrangement because any excess money they have is voted by the elders of the circuit as a contribution to the World Wide Work.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Oooh sir82 - there's new light for me - DC's are just a literature promotion event! That is inspired and makes so much sense - they hype the event for months, make you travel a long way, invest all that time and then the only souvenir you get are the new books (which you generously donate for).

MMXIV

• highdose
    highdose

i don't belive that any young people meet their "mates" at assemblys. there are too many prying nosy eyes watching.

• blondie
    blondie
    I don't see assemblies going because of the money aspect --
    I don't know how it is currently but there was never a danger of an assembly hall not paying the bills. On the rare occasion that they didn't receive enough contributions to meet "expenses" they sent a letter to the congregations of the circuit instructing them to send a check for what was lacking. I even know of one occasion when the letter went around twice.

I agree; I saw this still done in the early 2000's and I am sure it continues.

• compound complex
    compound complex

A 7-figure sum was spent recently remodeling the already beautiful and functional AH in this area. In its relatively brief existence, the building has been "redone" several times.

There are some JWs who do wonder why.

CC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Conventions used to be "sales seminars" where new products were "released" for the members to peddle. They also made money on food. I think they continued food for one (or maybe two) year[s] on the "donation only" arrangement, hoping to make enough money but did not, so it was stopped. There's your indicator of what they will do if they don't make money. It would stop right away.

They tried to continue the sales seminar approach when books became "donation only" and pressured the members to donate for the products. Since they didn't stop so quickly, they must have still made money on the arrangement. It seems that they had to change some things to keep the profit involved. They had to cheapen the product. Now, even that seems like not enough. The members face hard economic times.

Many of the full books printed for conventions were for JW's only, so they weren't producing new books to "sell" (distribute) to the public as much. They still made enough money to cover 10 million books or so. But expect the product to really be cut back if they don't get the money. Expect them to say the new releases will only be available at the convention and not at the local kingdom hall if they need to pressure people to attend. Expect them to have more DVD's or brochures and less books. It wouldn't even surprise me if, one year, they have virtually nothing new to offer. Then they would promise some radical reason they need to attend the following year. Who knows?

• St George of England
    St George of England
    In the UK the assembly halls are self funding charities and break even from the donations they receive.

If you are interested in how much money comes in from an assembly hall here in the UK take a look at the Charity Commission site and look at Charity number 1090209 for the Surrey Assembly hall or check the link below:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/SHOWCHARITY/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithoutPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1090209&SubsidiaryNumber=0

East Pennine A H = 1090209

Bristol AH = 1056886

Dudley AH = 515537

George

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When I was a boy, and I was - the circuit assembly used to be 3 days long and include many hours of canvassing in the surrounding area. We sat on hard chairs and each prayer was an hour long.

Now they have all gone soft in the middle. They are down to a Sunday afternoon snooze, through a short talk, after a heavy lunch.

Soon they will just walk around for 5 minutes, make a donation, eat a biscuit and get a blessing, before going home. A bit like a visit to the Vatican!

What is the world coming to?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I don't ever see them dumping the assemblies. The largest consumer of WT publications are..............JWs. Those assemblies and conventions play a role as promotional events. I think too, like another poster mentioned the social aspect of those large gatherings has a positive effect on the pysche of the average JW. We don't do birthdays, proms, holidays, etc.. The only social extravaganzas JWs are ok to attend is the conventions, assemblies, and the Memorial. JWs buy new dresses, new shoes, new suits and dresses for the kids. JW women desperately try to lose weight starting months in advance of these events. After the convention, people are temporarily on a spiritual high. "This was the best one yet!!" "This old system was beating me down, but this assembly was right on time!!" Granted none of them can give you a logical explanation why they're on a spiritual high, but the feeling is all that matters. The powers that be recognize this and will continue to promote these events. Plus being around a bunch of people that you share a common bond wth does wonders for promotion of sticking with the herd. Even when I was in school, the worldly fellas would allow me to tag along. I felt like I was part of something then. Patriotic people feel the same way waiving their flags and standing next to their fellow Americans. Its the same thing with conventions.

Arrogance on the part of the powers that be plays a role too I believe. I say that because they really make a major stink about skipping the Friday session. They really have a problem with people using their job as a legitimate excuse to miss the opening day of the District Convention. On top of that they want you to be at your seat before the opening song, so you can "enjoy the music that was prepared specifically for you." They really announce it in that fashion, so I take it they really think we're enjoying the music.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit